Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,774 members, 7,969,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 12:52 AM

Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! (2721 Views)

UPN Picks Woman As Presidential Candidate / GOODNEWS: REDEEMED Pastor Adopted As Buhari Presidential Running Mate / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 4:16pm On Dec 19, 2006
@ Afam

I have no problem with appeasing. But somehow i think using the VP slot as an appeasement is a little too much. So the rest of Nigeria has to appease with 4-8yrs

I also was dissappointed that Duke gave up easily.

Yar Adua's records?. . .he also allowed the implementation of sharia in his state.

In the long run I don't think what we have is democracy undecided, we should find some other name.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by otokx(m): 4:37pm On Dec 19, 2006
It won't be so easy for Duke to decamp just like that because he knows the type of elections we have in Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Afam(m): 5:19pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Nilla,

I sincerely think it is not out of place to allow the VP slot to go SS, come to think of it, most of these things really do not matter, afterall we have a lot of Yorubas or SW that are not happy with OBJ even after spending 71/2 years in office. The place a president or vice comes from doesn't necessarily translate into a better life for the area.

Poverty is blind, it is the same all over Nigeria, it does not respect gender, age, religion or ethnicity.

All Nigerians are asking for is security, food, shelter and equal opportunity for all to aspire to their dreams.

I have a totally different view on the issue of Sharia, democracy is about what the majority wants and if the majority of people in Katsina wanted Sharia then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, after the US enacts laws that may not make sense to visitors or foreigners but such laws still stand.

@4 Play,

I will arrange for a thanksgiving service on Sunday.

But seriously though, I am sure that I have responded to your posts so many times on this forum without any insults just as I have responded to others with insults and in such cases I was only responding in kind.

Why would someone spend time on a discussion forum insulting people he/she may not know or may never know for that matter?

I don't come here to make friends neither do I come here to create enemies, I come here to discuss or contribute on issues that I feel like contributing to.

My views may be crazy, wrong, incorrect etc, I don't have a problem with that but when people choose to attack my person for holding views different from theirs I am left with no other option to reply in kind and thus far it has been working like magic and I don't intend to stop that wonderful tactics.

On the topic proper, Yar'adua may not be the best from the North depending on so many criteria but if he could maintain a budget surplus of over N6B when other governors are busy embezzling state funds and made his assets declaration in 1999 and 2003 public even when the law stipulates they declare them, not make them public, I think in terms of corruption he is better than most of his peers in power today.

Do have a great day.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2006
Afam:

@Nilla,

I sincerely think it is not out of place to allow the VP slot to go SS, come to think of it, most of these things really do not matter, afterall we have a lot of Yorubas or SW that are not happy with OBJ even after spending 71/2 years in office. The place a president or vice comes from doesn't necessarily translate into a better life for the area.

Poverty is blind, it is the same all over Nigeria, it does not respect gender, age, religion or ethnicity.

All Nigerians are asking for is security, food, shelter and equal opportunity for all to aspire to their dreams.

I have a totally different view on the issue of Sharia, democracy is about what the majority wants and if the majority of people in Katsina wanted Sharia then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, after the US enacts laws that may not make sense to visitors or foreigners but such laws still stand.

I think your getting me wrong.

The VP slot can go to the SS. But isn't it important that it should go to the best candidate in the SS.
Did Goodluck Jonathan even show any interest in running for President or vice. . .
We are sacrificing a better candidate to appease (if it even works).

Back to the sharia thing. I have no problem if they have it in those Muslim states where a majority wants it.
But i don't want to wake up one morning and here something as strange as "Sharia in all of Nigeria cos majority of Nigerians (wherever they get their stats from ) want sharia"
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Genial(m): 5:44pm On Dec 19, 2006
I suspect that GJ was given the slot because he is seen as a consensus candidate - one who "has" the least interest in the position, and therefore would be more acceptable to the other pretenders to the throne who were overlooked. In my opinion, this has something to do with compensation of the SSGzone, but it is a compensation with a carrot attached. It may have more with the desire of the ruling "cabal" to perpetuate themselves in office than any desire to do what is best for the nation. GJ is not particularly known for being aggressive and disloyal, if you remember his role in the dethronement of his erstwhile boss, DSP.

We see here an apparent compromise - the setting aside of the old brigade and the infusion of fresh blood into the system. But how fresh is this "fresh blood", and is it really blood?
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by LoverBwoy(m): 5:55pm On Dec 19, 2006
Yar Adua's records?. . .he also allowed the implementation of sharia in his state.
thats what the citizens want, they didnt really complain

The VP slot can go to the SS. But isn't it important that it should go to the best candidate in the SS.
Did Goodluck Jonathan even show any interest in running for President or vice. . .
We are sacrificing a better candidate to appease (if it even works).

I dont think yaradua himself showed much interest in the "top job"

there is no we in nigerian politics grin.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Afam(m): 6:24pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Nilla,

Sorry for not getting you right. I believe Genial has been able to explain better what I believe happened.

On Sharia being imposed on Nigerians, I don't see that happening since it requires a 2/3 majority unless they will do the Plateau State style where 6 members constituted a 2/3 majority.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Afam

I think doing things to appease militants is the worst you can do. I suppose Igbo people should start blowing things up now so they can finally give us our presidency?, I guess the politics of negotiation does not work anymore, militant behaviour is what gets you results. Ok!
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:14pm On Dec 19, 2006
Afam:

@Nilla,

Sorry for not getting you right. I believe Genial has been able to explain better what I believe happened.

On Sharia being imposed on Nigerians, I don't see that happening since it requires a 2/3 majority[b] unless they will do the Plateau State style where 6 members constituted a 2/3 majority.[/b]

hmmm. . .see  lipsrsealed
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:20pm On Dec 19, 2006
Donzman:

@Afam

I think doing things to appease militants is the worst you can do. I suppose Igbo people should start blowing things up now so they can finally give us our presidency?, I guess the politics of negotiation does not work anymore, militant behaviour is what gets you results. Ok!

my fear exactly!!
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2006
Donzman:

@Afam

shocked
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2006
Genial:

I suspect that GJ was given the slot because he is seen as a consensus candidate - one who "has" the least interest in the position, and therefore would be more acceptable to the other pretenders to the throne who were overlooked. In my opinion, this has something to do with compensation of the SSGzone, but it is a compensation with a carrot attached. It may have more with the desire of the ruling "cabal" to perpetuate themselves in office than any desire to do what is best for the nation. GJ is not particularly known for being aggressive and disloyal, if you remember his role in the dethronement of his erstwhile boss, DSP.

We see here an apparent compromise - the setting aside of the old brigade and the infusion of fresh blood into the system. But how fresh is this "fresh blood", and is it really blood?

So what are we going to call Naija's style of governance. . .its definitely not democracy!
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 19, 2006
nilla:

shocked

When last did this country have an Igbo leader? Let me see, Hausa, Yoruba,, After how many years?, Ironsi and Azikiwe do not count! I suppose protesting and blowing up places will give us our own "appeasement".
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:30pm On Dec 19, 2006
Donzman:

When last did this country have an Igbo leader? Let me see, Hausa, Yoruba,, After how many years?, Ironsi and Azikiwe do not count! I suppose protesting and blowing up places will give us our own "appeasement".

and what about the minorities that have never been represented. . . we should ask for our own appeasement too
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 19, 2006
nilla:

and what about the minorities that have never been represented. . . we should ask for our own appeasement too

Like you said, what about the minorities?, Majority before minorities first, I suppose. undecided
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by nilla(f): 8:35pm On Dec 19, 2006
Donzman:

Like you said, what about the minorities?, Majority before minorities first, I suppose. undecided

he he he

so the minorities have to wait. . .not good enough kiss
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by LoverBwoy(m): 1:19am On Dec 20, 2006
Donzman:

@Afam

you can't have your presidency because your leaders got paid off, they collected money;cowardly agreed to vote for yaradua  in return for juicy contracts and political positions instead of standing their ground to vote Duke and the others from south-east/south-south nigeria.

in 2yrs time you might get "your presidency" when yaradua resigns -health related reasons
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by bolaoni(m): 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2006
@LoverBwoy,

Well said Man! I wonder how a race can progress when those that lead them
are the Come and Chop type. Those who can sell their brains for money. embarassed

Wonder when we shall trully be FREE!
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Afam(m): 9:16am On Dec 22, 2006
@Donzman,

I agree that you do not appease militants, I also believe that the decision to cede the VP position to the SS was not to appease the militants but to appease the people of the Niger Delta as a whole.

I also do not ascribe to this minority/majority stuff as it tends to divide more than it brings together.

Nigeria without any of its component state will not be complete as the country is currently structured.

You cannot have peace (not the type that is forced by the use of a gun) with justice, equity and fairplay.

I am from the SE and just like LoverBwoy stated, there is no serious candidate in the PDP from the SE that deserves the slot otherwise they would have come out and campaigned and not rely solely on a blessing from Baba.

Until we have selfless leaders we cannot make real progress.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by otokx(m): 4:30am On Dec 23, 2006
Most of the current politicians in the south south with the exception of donald duke and a few others are a disgrace to their predecessors and indeed every people. What is in the position of vp that some "sycophants" are already wasting their time? what did adamawa state benefit from atiku being the VP? where is atiku in the scheme of things today? Its unfortunate the way we niger deltans keep shooting ourselves in the foot.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Afam(m): 9:50am On Dec 26, 2006
otokx:

Most of the current politicians in the south south with the exception of donald duke and a few others are a disgrace to their predecessors and indeed every people.

So, why exclude Donald Duke? I thought he did what the other aspirants from the SS did as regards the clamour for SS presidency.
Re: Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 27, 2010
embarassed old story

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are The Chinks In Africa? / Call For Justice. A Nigerian Killed In China / Yar’adua May Decide Anambra Pdp Gov Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.