Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,426 members, 7,881,560 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:57 PM

Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police (708 Views)

Rivers: One DSS Operative Killed, As Hoodlums Engage Security Men / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by kokooro1: 3:01pm On Oct 07, 2009
I feel too indebted not to put this on record.
My one month old bus was involved in an accident in Abuja on September 17th this years. The report of my driver and eye witnesses was that the other driver (a young man driving his sister's car) was the one that suddenly swerved to my driver's lane at close range, causing a collision, but the boy's father had gone to the police to report that based on the resultant of my bus after collision, my driver must have been overtaking.

Ordinarily the typical policeman would have financial considerations either taken side with the complainant (a Very senior civil servant) and confiscate what is left of my bus extort me and try to compell me to compensate the other party or use the opportunity to extort the 2 of us without minding our huge losses. But surprisingly, the IPO, one Bassey of the Kwali police station Abuja, along with two of his colleagues actually went ahead to carry out an investigation.

Most interesting to me, this Gentleman insisted on ensuring that both parties exploit options that will not add to our losses. While he could have charged the case to court he delayed, and actually told me that his investigation corroborated my driver's claim but the case remained open cos non of the eye witnesses were ready to give written statement, and advised that, since he could feel my losses, that I don't waste any more money on litigation.

At the end of the day he personally persuaded the 2 (separately) of us to meet and settle amicably and went ahead to set-up the meeting. We eventually agreed to bear our respective losses and settle without litigation.

Now I did not expect any such effort in the Nigerian Policeman. AND ALL THIS WITHOUT DEMANDING FOR A KOBO FROM US. And quite honest too.

I wish the majority of our police personnel are as considerate as BASSEY.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Oct 07, 2009
*** claps****
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by kaypinchi(m): 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2009
With such significant acts (as displayed by IPO Bassey) like this, we will surely get Nigeria back on track.
Nice1

@poster
I would recommend that you send IPO Bassey a nice Xmas gift this year. Let it be a suprise. This I guess will encourage him to keep up the faith.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by netotse(m): 3:45pm On Oct 07, 2009
stories like this give us reason to hope that naija will improve!
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by proudly9ja(m): 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2009
Thank God for people like IPO Bassey. A big thank you to the poster too for taking time to post this.

Its people like Bassey that make me angrier when I see what the thieves that call themselves leaders are doing to our Nation. It goes to show that 'corruption' is NOT in our blood. A few might be bad but majority still have a good heart and a will to do the right thing.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by blacksta(m): 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2009
netotse:

stories like this give us reason to hope that naija will improve!

Stop kidding yourself  - what about the countless atrocities committed by the Nigerian police.  In every chaotic situations u will always find one element of good but it does not now mean that one good would influence the others.  In the Nigerian context that one officer will be chastised by the colleagues and the boss for not getting a financial gain out of the situation.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by spoOne: 4:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
@OP

Do you know the full name of this honorable officer - I once knew a senior officer, years ago, attached to the Edo State police commish office, with last name Bassey. This guy was so deligent in the recovery of my relative's car, we became friends. If this is the same officer, I won't be too surprised.

Nonetheless, more power to this guy!
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by netotse(m): 4:56pm On Oct 07, 2009
blacksta:

Stop kidding yourself  - what about the countless atrocities committed by the Nigerian police.  In every chaotic situations u will always find one element of good but it does not now mean that one good would influence the others.  In the Nigerian context that one officer will be chastised by the colleagues and the boss for not getting a financial gain out of the situation.

well you hear so many negative stories that you begin to believe that 100% of the NPF is filthy and stories like that give you a reason to doubt that claim!
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by kokooro1: 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2009
$poOne:

@OP

Do you know the full name of this honorable officer - I once knew a senior officer, years ago, attached to the Edo State police commish office, with last name Bassey.

No I don't at the moment. But I will ask him when next I speak with him or visit Abuja. But this guy is not a senior. I, in fact, intend to encourage him to go pursue a education (a degree) which I don't think he has so that he can have better opportunity (career-growth wise) in the force.

kaypinchi:

@poster
I would recommend that you send IPO Bassey a nice Xmas gift this year. Let it be a suprise. This I guess will encourage him to keep up the faith.
That I will.

He is such an encouragement.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 07, 2009
Am really happy to hear this. Met an officer like that when my sister was duped when she paid for her house. The agent tried to blow heat but the officer refused to buy. The agents uncle who was some big shot aided his escape but this officer arrested the uncle till the agent came out and paid every kobo. My sister tried to give him some money but he refused and told her to use the money to get her accommodation
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by babzyshe: 11:16pm On Oct 07, 2009
This is another truth about Nigeria that we dont hear often on the news or in forums like this.
Good people still exist out there, hope we have more stories like these.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Oct 07, 2009
babzyshe:

This is another truth about Nigeria that we dont hear often on the news or in forums like this.
Good people still exist out there, hope we have more stories like these.

Of what good is it that good people still exist when we continue to allow them remain the minority and the bad continue to have the upper hand over even the few good people we have in the country? What stops this man from being removed from office tommorow by the many bad?
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by babzyshe: 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Of what good is it that good people still exist when we continue to allow them remain the minority and the bad continue to have the upper hand over even the few good people we have in the country? What stops this man from being removed from office tommorow by the many bad?

hmm that may be true but we still need the good guys in the system cos when A good person becomes the boss tomorrow, he will definitely need the few good men remaining
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 08, 2009
So sad that in our own little way we dont encourage good people. If this had been a thread about a corrupt police man there would have been over 5 pages and 200 replies, and it will have been on the front page now. this is a man making a difference in a hostile environment and we cant even drop a line of commendation
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by WilyWily: 10:50am On Oct 08, 2009
He acted that like, cos no Yoruba policeman was present. (people of Egunje Culture weren't there)
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by kokooro1: 11:58am On Oct 08, 2009
WilyWily:

He acted that like, cos no Yoruba policeman was present. (people of Egunje Culture weren't there)

What good is this comment meant for? One of his coleagues who was involved in the investigations (in fact initially assigned the case) was interested in monetary gains for himself and so was their immediate superior (not the DPO), and neither of both is a Yoruba man.

I don't know which tribe you belong to Wilywily, but your character, good or bad, I'm sure is not because of that tribe.
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Kobojunkie: 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2009
babzyshe:

hmm that may be true but we still need the good guys in the system cos when A good person becomes the boss tomorrow, he will definitely need the few good men remaining

But, when will this good person become their boss? Now? Do we continue to fold our hands HOPING for this GOOD Person/Message then?
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 08, 2009
good for u poster that the bassey was kind to u, I think its just a premise that nigeria police force is bad which i concur with, Think of it,we have about 500 000 policemen but we can point just one percent that are good,which makes any deductions about them accurate,
Re: Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police by babzyshe: 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But, when will this good person become their boss? Now? Do we continue to fold our hands HOPING for this GOOD Person/Message then?

Left my crystal ball at home, but i fear that even I wouldnt be able to answer such a mystery

(1) (Reply)

Re: Would You Vote For Yaradua To Be Re-elected? / Navy Uncovers Plot To Destabilise Nigeria / Sorry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.