Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,866 members, 7,889,889 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:03 AM

Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? (33553 Views)

"Cheating Is Okay If Your Home Is Okay" - Nigerian Man Advises / The Woman My Best Friend Is About To Marry This Saturday Has No Womb, Help / 16-Year-Old Girl Writes Letter/Will Before Her Death In The North. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Onyiridike(f): 5:45pm On Sep 13, 2016
lekonso:
Please don't marry out that little girl at 20. Let her complete her 1st degree at least before thinking of marriage. These days people are gunning for masters degree. You are funny o, you said the boy is from a good home, are his parents going to feed the girl for him?

STOP this already!

We are talking of building excellent qualities expected of every virtuous woman and you are here talking about B. Sc and M. Sc.

Who marries a woman because she has a first degree or M. Sc?

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by blesoh(f): 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
stuffs4me:

Thank you so much for this post. Any lady that is not yet mature at 20 is a dummy. I have seen 20year old ladies behaving far more mature than some 35year old ladies.

I believe the lady in question must be a mature girl for the guy to show marriage interests.

Finally, most of the ladies that are insisting that the lady is too young are just jealous because they never had such uportunity in their life.
My dear leave them, at 35 they ll start looking for that old granny in the family to accuse for their misfortune. Marriage is all about love and maturity. You can still flex with your husband while in marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by blesoh(f): 5:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

STOP this already!

We are talking of building excellent qualities that expected of a every virtuous woman and you are here talking about B. Sc and M. Sc.

Who marries a woman because she has a first degree or M. Sc?

My dear ask them oh, career this, career that can't you build your career while in marriage? Mtheeew
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by baby124: 5:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
Age may be a number. But it comes with experience. A man will not respect a father that cannot educate his own child, and then will come and instruct him on what to do in his home when he marries her.

Please be very wary of guys that act very desperately. It does not mean love. It just means the guy is very selfish. Life now is very hard! Why expose your sister to such hardship without a degree or skills to fall back on. If she is desperate to marry, she can acquire a skill first to work and support her family. Never raise your girl child to not be self sufficient. Never do that.

If your father cannot afford education right now, let her learn a skill, and get married. If the husband in future decides not to send her to school, she will never go hungry and can probably send herself to school.

I will never give my daughter out in marriage if she has not completed school and shown she is independent. You cannot come and marry when you are still acting like a baby in my house. You have to know how to stand when life knocks you down. Just in case I am not there tomorrow!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Onyiridike(f): 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2016
blesoh:

Hahahahahaha you have same view with my husband, I told him my girls can't marry until 25 he just laughed at me. Lol

And these single old ladies will always brainwash the young ones, telling them that marriage is hell on earth as if their age will make it heaven when they get older.

What stops a girl from enjoying life and growing in love with her husband?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Feanah(f): 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
Cletus77:

is dis a novel?
Lol I didn't even realize I wrote it so long
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Onyiridike(f): 6:10pm On Sep 13, 2016
baby124:
Age may be a number. But it comes with experience. A man will not respect a father that cannot educate his own child, and then will come and instruct him on what to do in his home when he marries her.

Please be very wary of guys that act very desperately. It does not mean love. It just means the guy is very selfish. Life now is very hard! Why expose your sister to such hardship without a degree or skills to fall back on. If she is desperate to marry, she can acquire a skill first to work and support her family. Never raise your girl child to not be self sufficient. Never do that.

If your father cannot afford education right now, let her learn a skill, and get married. If the husband in future decides not to send her to school, she will never go hungry and can probably send herself to school.

I will never give my daughter out in marriage if she has not completed school and shown she is independent. You cannot come and marry when you are still acting like a baby in my house. You have to know how to stand when life knocks you down. Just in case I am not there tomorrow!

Please leave matter for mathias! In the end, the husband still decides whether you will enjoy that career or skill.

Everything boils down to understanding the man you intend to marry. If he truly loves you, if there is character compatibility, if he will be their to help you achieve your dreams, if he is God fearing, among others.

Without this, you will not enjoy the marriage even if you have a PhD.

It is better you remain single and live your life the way you want it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by baby124: 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

Please leave matter for mathias! In the end, the husband still decides whether you will enjoy that career or skill.

Everything boils down to understanding the man you intend to marry. If he truly loves you, if there is character compatibility, if he will be their to help you achieve your dreams, if he is God fearing, among others.

Without this, you will not enjoy the marriage even if you have a PhD.

It is better you remain single and live your life the way you want it.
Love you say? Hahahaha! Love cannot sustain a marriage. You are obviously very young, and have a fantastical idea about life. Ask the mature people who are married all about love and marriage. When hunger strikes, I hope love will feed and clothe your jobless and useless self. Smh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Onyiridike(f): 6:21pm On Sep 13, 2016
baby124:

Love you say? Hahahaha! Love cannot sustain a marriage. You are obviously very young, and have a fantastical idea about life. Ask the mature people who are married all about love and marriage. When hunger strikes, I hope love will feed and clothe your jobless and useless self. Smh.

You are talking to the wrong person. I may be older and more experienced than you.

Love is not the only criteria that I listed. Obviously, you did read my post.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Bishops10(m): 6:39pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please
my Younger sis,19 years now got married on 13th march this year.Dad called me 4 days ago she put to bed.....She's in her 300 level now

It's not about age but personality
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by dasparrow: 6:41pm On Sep 13, 2016
@Post

I will be worried about a man who is looking to marry a lady because he likes the color of her skin. People like that are very superficial. Maybe he is hoping that she will give birth to light skinned babies for him. However, if the babies turn out dark nko? then what?

Your sister should get herself a better suitor. This man loves your sister for lustful superficial reasons. Should they get married, the marriage may not stand the test of time.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Bensam5060(m): 6:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
if the guy is responsible and has come directly to ask her hand in marriage and with the view of seeing her through hrt education in the higher institution. I think that chance should be given to him.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Cletus77(m): 7:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
Feanah:
Lol I didn't even realize I wrote it so long
well e make sense!
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Youngtrice(m): 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2016
A family friend of mine got married at the age of 16, September last year.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by openeye693: 8:24pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mary the mother of Jesus Christ was engaged/betrothed to be married at 12 years. She gave birth at 13/14 years of age.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by neocortex: 8:29pm On Sep 13, 2016
diva90:

Remember that was back then! Times have greatly changed. These days it's not a good idea for any woman to get married at such a young age. Not only is she naive and hasn't seen what life is all about at that age but then again, marriage is just too complicated these days. Let her go to school and discover herself first. Explore a career while building her skills and making some little money of her own. Marriage can come when she's 24 or 25 and above.

I don't believe in fixing marriage age for non-minors,
my only objection in this case is that she is still a hopeful
undergraduate, if she was already in 200/300l I would have
supported that she go ahead with the marriage.

As to marriage these days being complicated, the times is
not to blame , it is two people with widely different expectations
getting married to each other that creates the complications,
it doesn't matter if they are in early 20s or late 30s.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by davit: 8:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please

Your question really shows the level of poverty in the land! I am sure if the parents are OK in taking care of their daughter, they won't entertain the rubbish the guy is proposing to your sister. If indeed money no dey in the house, you can then trade her future with this guy. Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ypeace: 8:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
honestly, I don't know why people delay marriage. DAFT LADIES keep jumping from / fucking one boyfriend to another when they can easily get married and enjoy life legally.

Ladies dey suffer o.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Laido: 9:24pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
Because the guy came before and was chased out by my parents then come again years later to ask her hand in marriage , he has even told our relatives and uncle about it, asked them to beg my parents for him to get married to her. He even begs my mum's friend for them to convince my mum, and it's makes me suspicious about him... But I kept silent bcoz I don't want to be a prosperity blocker and the guy is really successful and people said he is from a good background.

Because of it my mum went to so many prophets to know if the guy is really meant for her, the prophets saying the same thing that the guy is good but she will get pregnant immediately he marries her and for her education, its left for my dad to negotiate with him. .. So times I thought that these prophets are just using their common sense to advice her.

If I said no to the marriage I might be blocking what God has kept for her but if I accept and bad things happens I might hate my decision for her. .. She is currently working with my mum in her shop and is waiting for her admission, she said the man usually visits them and she is now gradually developing love for the guy... But I still find it difficult to accept the guy bcoz of her education and she is not well grounded in things like marriage. ...

Hmm .. You know what bro! Early marraige is good! If the Guy is good, everything will work out well for both of them, Believe. All we need is one love, love conq all! Marraige is a union btw 2 people, not the whole world! If the Duo are okay, Forget G. They good forever!
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by stuffs4me(m): 9:31pm On Sep 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

Why are you young girls so obsessed with going to university before getting married?

Do you study marriology in the university?

I know a young girl who is from poor home and of course the family cannot afford university education.

Fortunately, she has learnt a skill (tailoring) at the age of 18 and has started making money.

So she cannot get married because she is not a university graduate?

Don't mind them, as if a university degree is a requirement for marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by byvan03: 9:32pm On Sep 13, 2016
My problem is not with your sister's age but with the guy. I think something is wrong with him.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by stuffs4me(m): 9:40pm On Sep 13, 2016
sadly:

Listen to me and listen very, I had to come in when I read that YOU DO NOT WANT TO TALK so as not to be seen as an obstacle to prosperity.

If you love that little girl DO NOT , I REPEAT DO NOT let this happen. That guy is just driven by imagination of forking a fresh virgin. He may not really love her. They come in different skin. That is how one came into our home and before we knew it, scammed my mother which later led to her death. NUFF SAID! If that girl end up with that guy nature will not forgive you! Better protect her.

What a load of crap.. Protect a 20 year old lady from getting married to her suitor?

I think they need to protect her from someone like you that want to keep her till she's 45 years.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by hydel(m): 9:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
Please exercise patient before clocking a conclusion o, if this guy can wait for two years earlier, let him wait two years in addition just for this girl to rush an ND program, with ND, she's still presentable nah, O'level na im bad pass...thereafter you can follow every other aforementioned steps by my ogas..pls try as much as possible to resist mistake as regard this issue cos any mistake made is a "gbege ooo"
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
stuffs4me:

What a load of crap.. Protect a 20 year old lady from getting married to her suitor?

I think they need to protect her from someone like you that want to keep her till she's 45 years.

Yes! Protect her. Some men are demons in human skin looking for young girls future to ruin at a tender age..Smhh.
Men are so selfish!
Thinking of their d..cks alone.
my daughter wil not be given out for marriage until her 4th year in university. she wil never be a liability,at all!
my cousin married at d age of 19years,she was in 200level, her suitor came wit sweet mouth and innocent face.his family is good but this man is so wicked. he promised she wil complete her studies and she is very brilliant in schl. after marriage he made her drop out, he then became abusive as she always complains abt completing her schl. one day, she came home cryin that shes fedup after 4yrs of marriage. wat made our family put our foot down and accept they go on separation was when

3 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by toprealman: 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2016
He is marrying her for the wrong reasons namely, fair skin, same villa and natural blablabla. Unfortunately, your parents seem to have sold out....and your lil sis too.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 13, 2016
she threathens to kill him wit d dane gun he has at home, if he comes close to her again and she doesnt care if she goes to jail. Everybody looked at her in shock n horror. D elders had no choice bt d summon her husband for his own version and to separate d two of them. She went bk to her parents house, she continued her studies, graduated and eventualy filed for divorce. shes remarried wit two kids. Her former husband also remarried.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2016
@Mosesbutez

You still haven't told us what your sister actually wants.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by mumexcellency(f): 11:01pm On Sep 13, 2016
Getting married early has its own package. Meanwhile marriage to me is a locked box, until you open it yourself you dont know what is involved and whatever you discover inside its your portion. Think very well before you submit your sister. Some men look good and gentle outwardly but try to live with them for just 3 days you will be dissapointed. I advise you let the guy wait more let her be in school first for like 2 years. Then she can decide and whatever is not clear can start opening up about the guy. I wish you luck.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by NaBanga: 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2016
He wants to marry her because she is light skin? He did not mention her personality, temperament, or anything of value. Please allow your sister to finish school first, in case she has to flee this marriage at a later time. God forbid if anything caused her skin to darken.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 12:27am On Sep 14, 2016
Why not? Sad to say some guys will deter u simple because they need to take sample of your paradise first before your future husband.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Mosesbutez(m): 12:30am On Sep 14, 2016
We are capable of seeing her through her university in terms of finance even her older sister is in 300l in university but her own case is really different... My uncle, some of our relatives and some of my mum"s friends the guy begged for them to convince my mother to release the girl for him had came and advice my parents to allow the guy to marry her... That it might be God's doing.

I had really made up my mind to find a way to oppose the marriage but from some comments I saw here, I rethink and thought maybe that's how God wants it for her bcoz the guy came and when insulted and chased away but he still came back for her again , that alone puts double thought in my mind, if it was the first time for the guy to propose to her I will never and ever accept that, I don't know her future .

And what if she went to university then and she was get carried away by university guys and become deceived or become pregnant out of over enjoyment of her university previledges but God forbid!! Then we might regret ever never given the guy his chance to marry her

Besides I had asked her private if she loves the guys and she said that ever since the guys normally visit her in the shop and chatting with her on whatsapp , she has been developing love for the guy gradually.... So I had leave the matter in God's hand. ...

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Xplicitgdk: 12:31am On Sep 14, 2016
How many girls under 16 are sex freaks?
How many girls younger Dan 18 have had several abortions?

How will it b wrong then to marry a girl of 20?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Nairalander Weds A Nairalander / Boy's Converstaion With His 'Deadbeat' Dad About Christmas Gift Sparks Debate / Who Is A Guy With Potential?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.