Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,822 members, 7,889,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:00 PM

Brit Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Beats David Bowie & Radiohead To Win Mercury Prize - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Brit Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Beats David Bowie & Radiohead To Win Mercury Prize (994 Views)

Wizkid Poses With Rapper Skepta As He Arrives London On Tour With Future / British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Is Building A Playground For Kids In Ijebu Ode / Tiwa Savage Attends BRIT Awards After-party (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Brit Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Beats David Bowie & Radiohead To Win Mercury Prize by Shym3xx: 11:16pm On Sep 15, 2016
Mercury Prize: Grime star Skepta wins music award

Grime star Skepta has beaten the likes of David Bowie, Radiohead and The 1975 to win the Mercury Prize. He won the £25,000 award for his self-released album Konnichiwa, which tackles police harassment and his anger at British politics. Described by the NME as a "landmark in British street music," the record went to number two earlier this year. "I'm just so thankful. I've been trying to do this music stuff and work it out for so long," Skepta said of his win.

The visibly shocked star said on stage: "I was like' let's do it for ourselves'. All these songs, we've travelled the world - no record label, nothing. We just did this for us but the love is very appreciated." "For everybody who knows what it takes to put an album together, cos it's so much more than just making the music." He added a shout out to fellow nominee Kano - "Kane - for life bro - we did it." Before concluding: "And lastly, my mum and dad, and all my friends mums and dads - because they made us, they gave us that voice in our head that's talking to keep us in line to keep us in check. "We all won today. Konnichiwa!"

BBC Music News Live: Latest news from the Mercury Prize ceremony Skepta is the second grime artist to win the Mercury, following Dizzee Rascal's victory in 2003. The genre is in the middle of a resurgence, with Skepta key in helping recalibrate the sound back towards its inner city roots. "I knew that I had an obligation to represent the country," he told Zane Lowe on Beats 1 earlier this year. "I know what is on my back with this album. I've got every element from London that is needed to make it what it is."

Skepta's victory meant that bookmakers' favourite David Bowie lost out on the £25,000 prize. He was nominated for his final album, Blackstar, which has been interpreted as his swansong. Actor Michael C Hall paid tribute to the star during the prize ceremony, performing the song Lazarus, which opens with the lyrics: "Look up here, I'm in heaven." The star of Dexter and Six Feet Under will soon be seen in London in the lead role in Bowie's musical - also called Lazarus - which premiered in New York shortly before his death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37376386

(1) (Reply)

Top Nigerian Singer Maheeda Twerking And Dancing Sexually SEE ASS / See What This Lady Tweeted. Is She Serious? / Meet The Nigerian Lady Who Is A Proud PAINTER...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.