Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,799 members, 7,918,587 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 12:16 PM

Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? (2518 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by posakosa(m): 9:21pm On Oct 12, 2009
Pittbaby:

LOL, I second you on that one Mama gee. the keys not letting them know you bizness. Naija people can seat down and analyze someone else's life. I only wish  the passion dedicated to gossiping and backbiting was translated into work ethic

Well said Mama-gee and Pittbaby, most successful Nigerians don't associate with other Nigerians like that <they normally associate with a much more diverse groups>. Unless they are selling something to them.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 12:46am On Oct 13, 2009
I think the 'perfect' Nigerians should actually acknowledge they're Nigerian so that they can show other Nationals good example instead of mask their identity. cheesy

Where I wouldn't go though is a Nigerian Church. Been there, done that, not impressed!
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 13, 2009
I only wish the passion dedicated to gossiping and backbiting was translated into work ethic

that may happen in a parallel universe perhaps.

Not this one, imo.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Nijasingh: 2:43am On Oct 13, 2009
Radiant:

I think the 'perfect' Nigerians should actually acknowledge they're Nigerian so that they can show other Nationals good example instead of mask their identity. cheesy

Where I wouldn't go though is a Nigerian Church. Been there, done that, not impressed!

You can get all types of Nigerian Churches, BUT MOST are indeed very good and are more wellcoming and supportive of their members compared to the typical church in the western world. They are what a church should really be about--supporting its membership and all who come to it. In fact African churches are much more closer to the true christian doctrine compared to others. There are a few that are simply commercial ventures.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 2:51am On Oct 13, 2009
Nigerian churches almost choke you with their "love". No, thank you! Other things I won't mention.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Outstrip(f): 3:02am On Oct 13, 2009
Nijasingh:

You can get all types of Nigerian Churches, BUT MOST are indeed very good and are more wellcoming and supportive of their members compared to the typical church in the western world. They are what a church should really be about--supporting its membership and all who come to it. In fact African churches are much more closer to the true christian doctrine compared to others. There are a few that are simply commercial ventures.

I cannot speak for the whole of africa but for Nigerian churches I can clearly say that most of them are what I call modern day pharisees. It is not the all inclusive doctrine that Jesus taught. When people used to tell me about how Nigerians talk I used to go here they come again until I joined my church. I don't want to say much because even the Pastor has suffered in the hands of "christian" folks because he is a different tribe. When you throw other people in the mix then maybe Nigerians will not feel like it is their space and start to make the usual trouble they enjoy making with each other. It is a different feel I get in my sisters church where there are nigerian, ghanaian and american pastors.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Nijasingh: 3:03am On Oct 13, 2009
Radiant:

Nigerian churches almost choke you with their "love". No, thank you! Other things I won't mention.
House of GOD is meant to be full of LOVE. What do you have against Love?? You take however much love you need--- no one forces you to take more than you want
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Nijasingh: 3:18am On Oct 13, 2009
Outstrip:

I cannot speak for the whole of africa but for Nigerian churches I can clearly say that most of them are what I call modern day pharisees. It is not the all inclusive doctrine that Jesus taught. When people used to tell me about how Nigerians talk I used to go here they come again until I joined my church. I don't want to say much because even the Pastor has suffered in the hands of "christian" folks because he is a different tribe. When you throw other people in the mix then maybe Nigerians will not feel like it is their space and start to make the usual trouble they enjoy making with each other. It is a different feel I get in my sisters church where there are nigerian, ghanaian and american pastors.

At the end of the day you go to church because of GOD and not any pastor or other member. If you feel uncomfortable in any gathering the you can opt for where you feel comfortable. I was comparing churches that are all Nigerian/African with the typical Western(USA/UK) Church. Your sister's church has Nigerians and Ghanaians so that will make a positive difference.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 3:27am On Oct 13, 2009
Nijasingh:

.House of GOD is meant to be full of LOVE. What do you have against Love?? You take however much love you need--- no one forces you to take more than you want

I admire your sincerity but I would've fallen for it if I hadn't be there. Love was in quotes btw. Seriously, they just don't know when to stop.

Like an old lady once said, "I was never called to preach the word or do the work of God but I've always fasted and prayed for the work of God". She was just trying to say that she didn't have to be around all the time and seen doing the work of God openly but in her closet she would pray and fast for the work of God.

The much I do between me and God is enough for me. I just hate the whole pushy and forceful attitude. Let's not even talk about the 'Lords righteous ones' now. I mean, the overzealous ones that think u can't spell "Bible".
Seriously, I've had enough of Nigerian churches. Uff! There's just so much to talk about  embarassed
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Nijasingh: 3:35am On Oct 13, 2009
Radiant:

I just hate the whole pushy and forceful attitude. Let's not even talk about the 'Lords righteous ones' now. I mean, the overzealous ones that think u can't spell "Bible".
Seriously, I've had enough of Nigerian churches. Uff! There's just so much to talk about embarassed

I also do not like the "Bible Bashers" or those with a BA /holier than all types. BUT I would not generalize or say MOST Nigerian Churches are like that. At the end it is where or what makes you feel comfortable(including the crowd at the church).
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by pete(m): 3:54am On Oct 13, 2009
I love to be a Nigerian. With regards to association, I keep it low and use the same standard that I'll use for my Oyinbo friends. What I mean is that, I keep my friends within my professional level. Don't play around with no visa lottery kid, just as I would not be friends with an Oyinbo crack head. I see a secondary school drop out visa lottery guy out in the street, I'll hug him, introduce myself as Nigerian offer any advice i would, give him my number and that's it. He is not coming to my house and I'm not going to his. we're not going to the same church-unless he is already a member of my church- and I do not go to a Nigerian Church. I can't stand an all white church or all black church, to say the least all Nigerian church.
As someone pointed out, there is a lot of drama keeping Nigerian friends. As a matter of fact, I just don't have the time.As per indentity, I'll tell you up front, I'm an excited Nigerian. even if Osama is found in Nigeria today and yaho yaho boys scammed Obama, I'm still Nigerian. My job points to the fact that, there are Honest Nigerians who are also well placed in London and America. A friend of mine, is the Deputy District Attorney of my city. I once took a house buying contract from a Nigerian kid-though he is lived here for yrs-said he sometimes tell people he is from Ghana. I was like really?. I told him that's a shame and that I'm afraid he is not getting the 3 percent commission from the house I'm buying. So, it's really your choice. Please keep in mind that, whatever i say here is my opinion and it's not flawless, its just me. we really may not think alike, at least that's why we don't share the same DNA
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 5:29am On Oct 13, 2009
I associate with people, regardless of their race and tribe.
I chose who to associate with based on individual and not cos they are nigerians
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by debest1(m): 9:04am On Oct 13, 2009
,mama-gee:

I don't associate with most Nigerians because they gossip too much. lipsrsealed
You mean most naija gals gossip 2 much, grin grin grin

@ post, its nice to keep in touch with naija ppl if u are living abroad, unfortunately, some of our people are up to no good and if care is not taken they can drag u down with them or get u into serious trouble.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 1:16am On Oct 14, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I associate with people, regardless of their race and tribe.
I chose who to associate with based on individual and not cos they are nigerians

Precisely but hey you can choose your crowd.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 2:03am On Oct 14, 2009
Radiant:

Precisely but hey you can choose your crowd.

yes u cld, but shd not be based on tribe, race or even ethnicity, but based on individual
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 7:54pm On Oct 14, 2009
Fhemmmy:

yes u cld, but shd not be based on tribe, race or even ethnicity, but based on individual

If you were asked to choose between a Latino club and a Nigerian club which one would you choose to attend more often?
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by pete(m): 8:17pm On Oct 14, 2009
@Radiant and Fhemmmy,
you both got very valid points.I'll be all means choose an African club, by the way I went to one way back in NY and it was off the chain, ,back on the subject, you choose base on individuals, but you just are unable to rule out the fact that, some stereotypes got some truth in them.
Don't judge a book by it's cover, but hey, you got to select your bookshop though, right?. As I had stated earlier, I love everybody,say hi when I see em,even sometimes offer assistance, but I don't do the big Nigerian "parapo" thing. I once had a license plate that read GREAT IFE, love Nigeria, but also love my peace. I once went to an all Nigerian church and come and see how they were fighting over rice, I was like really? in America?, lol, you got to be kidding me, love my people, I must add, but, hey, love my peace and sanity too. How about the Nigerian Progressive Union?, I attended once and it was like I was back in Ife, and its ALUTA continual, I was like, hey, I'm too old for this sh**t.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 8:38pm On Oct 14, 2009
Radiant:

If you were asked to choose between a Latino club and a Nigerian club which one would you choose to attend more often?

In Nigeria, i might chose Latino club, something different.

Out of Nija, once in a while, i might chose Nija club, maybe when i don miss home a little.

In one word, i am not crazy about being around Nigerians just like i am not irritated when they are around me, i am just neutral.
I can do with or without being around them.
But i like latino music sha, cos it is romantic and puts you in the mood. . . . tongue
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Radiant(f): 9:29pm On Oct 14, 2009
Femi, we both know the truth wink

pete:

@Radiant and Fhemmmy,
you both got very valid points.I'll be all means choose an African club, by the way I went to one way back in NY and it was off the chain, ,back on the subject, you choose base on individuals, but you just are unable to rule out the fact that, some stereotypes got some truth in them.
Don't judge a book by it's cover, but hey, you got to select your bookshop though, right?. As I had stated earlier, I love everybody,say hi when I see em,even sometimes offer assistance, but I don't do the big Nigerian "parapo" thing. I once had a license plate that read GREAT IFE, love Nigeria, but also love my peace. I once went to an all Nigerian church and come and see how they were fighting over rice, I was like really? in America?, lol, you got to be kidding me, love my people, I must add, but, hey, love my peace and sanity too. How about the Nigerian Progressive Union?, I attended once and it was like I was back in Ife, and its ALUTA continual, I was like, hey, I'm too old for this sh**t.

LOL
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 9:35pm On Oct 14, 2009
pete:

@Radiant and Fhemmmy,

We are just unique sets of people
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by whiteroses(f): 9:45pm On Oct 14, 2009
yes when i use to live in london but i miss them now no peeps like them man,i feel as tho i can be myself when i'm among my naija friends
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 9:48pm On Oct 14, 2009
whiteroses:

yes when i use to live in london but i miss them now no peeps like them man,i feel as tho i can be myself when i'm among my naija friends

Nigerian is like a woman, hard to live with and disastrous to live without.
I love my Nigerian people sha
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by davidif: 1:55am On Oct 16, 2009
I love all my naija people jare. They are the some of the most amazing people on earth.

whiteroses,
Why the heck did you pull your picture down? You picture always brightens my day.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 4:09am On Oct 16, 2009
davidif:

I love all my naija people jare. They are the some of the most amazing people on earth.

whiteroses,
Why the heck did you pull your picture down? You picture always brightens my day.

doesnt wanna be stalked
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Gamine(f): 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2009
nawa o
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Hauwa1: 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2009
i avoid nig church, the gong gong could burst the roof. everyone singing in funny voice lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Gamine(f): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2009
lol!
i would only go for the freebies grin
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i avoid nig church, the gong gong could burst the roof. everyone singing in funny voice lipsrsealed

I disagree with that one, if i wanna dance, i will go to Nija church, they know how to sing, pls note i said sing, there are some that are good at noises, so till u find one of the good ones, u mising out.
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by gingeranny(f): 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2009
Sorry-nothing to do with being Nigerian, but alot of people think i'm either Scottish, or irish, cos of my colouring, Very pale, ginger with freckles!!!!!I find it quite amusing,
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Gamine(f): 5:32pm On Oct 19, 2009
^^^
yeah, just like the Mclaren i used to know,
offtopic never went better
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by gingeranny(f): 5:33pm On Oct 19, 2009
mcclaren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!very funny-i'm ginger and proud-
Re: Do You Associate With Other Nigerians? by Gamine(f): 6:01pm On Oct 19, 2009
i have a thing for Reds/Ginger though,
i dont know why undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Dstv? / I Satisfy My Daughter Sexually, She Don't Need A Boyfriend - Father Confesses / Prince Gozie And Njideka Okeke- Is He Really Gay? Are They Still Divorced?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.