Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,688 members, 7,979,320 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:20 AM

Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) (671 Views)

Uganda Ex-minister Destroys 10 Boreholes He Built After He Lost An Election / Donald Trump 'Sentenced To Death' By North Korea For Insulting Kim Jong Un / The Phone Ugandan President Museveni Uses Will Shock You (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by asarebabson: 10:00am On Sep 20, 2016
Liu Zhijun, China's ex-railway minister, sentenced to death for corruption
Sentence suspended for two years, but Liu will spend at least 10 years in jail as Xi Jinping's corruption crackdown bites
Liu Zhijun at his trial for charges of corruption and abuse of power.
A Beijing court has sentenced China's former minister of railways Liu Zhijun to death, with a two-year reprieve, for bribery and abuse of power, China's state media reported, ending one of the country's highest-profile corruption cases in years.

Liu stood trial at Beijing No. 2 Intermediate People's Court on 9 June for accepting £6m in bribes between 1986 and 2011 and using his position to help 11 people win promotions or lucrative contracts, according to the state newswire Xinhua. He had been formally accused in April.

The court also "deprived his political right for life and confiscated all his personal property", the newswire reported. Suspended death sentences in China are usually commuted to life imprisonment. The court's verdict will require Liu to spend at least 10 years in jail.

At the end of Liu's trial, which lasted three and a half hours, the former minister broke down in tears. While reading his final statement, Liu apologised for diverging from his goal of modernising the country's rail system and achieving the "Chinese dream", a slogan adopted by China's newly anointed leader, Xi Jinping. "Prosecutors said Liu had a very good attitude in confession and a strong desire to repent," Xinhua reported.

Liu, the son of a farmer in landlocked Hubei province, began his career at the ministry of railways as a low-level office worker in the early 1970s and slowly ascended through the hierarchy until he was named minister in 2003.

Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by hybridtm(m): 10:02am On Sep 20, 2016
I knew dis could not b Nigeria.. ...highest d minister plea bargain
Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by ificatchmodeh: 10:04am On Sep 20, 2016
Yea..that's the supposed naija standard. wink

1 Like

Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by asarebabson: 10:05am On Sep 20, 2016
hybridtm:
I knew dis could not b Nigeria.. ...highest d minister plea bargain
. How I wish our anti-corruption laws are amended in this direction.
Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by PureWays(m): 10:05am On Sep 20, 2016
China don't joke with corruption.
Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by lawrenzi(m): 10:06am On Sep 20, 2016
Buhari this is the real anti corruption fight we want. Please do this. Tankiu
Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by pendusky(m): 10:12am On Sep 20, 2016
I adopt that when I become Nigeria President...

Name the Politicians you want me to prosecute...
Re: Shock: Ex-minister, Sentenced To Death For Corruption (photo) by asarebabson: 10:23am On Sep 20, 2016
PureWays:
China don't joke with corruption.
naija should also follow suit.

(1) (Reply)

Mocked For His Tweets, Trump Fires Back On Twitter / Russia Will Not Expel Anyone In Response To U.S. Sanctions, Says Putin / FBI Chief Names Russia ‘greatest Threat On Earth’ –

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.