Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,560 members, 7,885,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:29 AM

Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) (9205 Views)

Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Origin Of The Name Bello?! / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 11:50am On Jun 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

What's your proof...?

For some reason I cant post Screenshots

Get a copy of Ajayi Crowther dictionary of 1852 and see the Real meaning of master...

If Ajayi Crowther didn't know any word such as Oga to mean master in 1852.. how does that make Yoruba people in 2021 to be the originator of the word

This is the most myopic reasoning I have seen here

Oga was used in the early 20th century Yoruba. The language isn't static. The same way you won't see him write olopa coz we had not invented that word then

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/oga

Jeez

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Etinosa1234: 11:54am On Jun 14, 2021
kayfra:

This is the most myopic reasoning I have seen here

Oga was used in the early 20th century Yoruba. The language isn't static. The same way you won't see him write olopa coz we had bot invented that word then

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/oga

Jeez

Wait ... U guys had to wait till the 20th century to invent a word for master when there was another one in place for it in the 19th century

grin grin
Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 11:56am On Jun 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Wait ... U guys had to wait till the 20th century to invent a word for master when there was another one in place for it in the 19th century

grin grin

Don't be stupid. That's when it was documented and guess who documented for all of you? We did

Ogagun, Oga ogun has been used for a long time. Many words in Yoruba used for master, the language is that rich. But trying to steal our word is a no no.

Oga doesn't even jive with Edo language tonally. You clearly know it's imported, the same way you imported your King from us. It's okay, we are cousins but don't try and steal our words grin

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Etinosa1234: 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2021
kayfra:

Don't be stupid. That's when it was documented and guess who documented for all of you? We did
Who documented for us?... A language that u don't understand is what u documented?

Pls which Yoruba man documented Benin language for us

Ogagun, Oga ogun has been used for a long time. Many words in Yoruba used for master, the language is that rich. But trying to steal our word is a no no.
No proof of this but ok... Ur oldest dictionary doesn't state this..

U guys have many words to mean one thing?... No indication that some might be borrowed or u guys just form words for the love of it? grin

Oga doesn't even jive with Edo language tonally. You clearly know it's imported, the same way you imported your King from us. It's okay, we are cousins but don't try and steal our words grin

We are not cousins... We only shared borders..

U don't understand Benin... So u can't talk abt whether it Jive tonally or not

If it was imported, then tell me the original meaning of master in Benin language... Jus the way I have showed u that the word Oga wasn't used up to the late 19th century
Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 12:09pm On Jun 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Who documented for us?... A language that u don't understand is what u documented?

No proof of this but ok... Ur oldest dictionary doesn't state this..

U guys have many words to mean one thing?... No indication that some might be borrowed or u guys just form words for the love of it? grin

We are not cousins... We only shared borders..

U don't understand Benin... So u can't talk abt whether it Jive tonally or not

If it was imported, then tell me the original meaning of master in Benin language... Jus the way I have showed u that the word Oga wasn't used up to the late 19th century

Your palace is from Ile-Ife and cousins to Oyo. You can argue with your royalty

Oga is foreign to Edo language with all your Vs, KPs and peculiar tonalities. It simply doesn't jive unlike Yoruba with various words in the same vein. You've not shown one single proof that it's of edo origin outside of adopting pidgin english that is sprinkled with so many Yoruba words.

Even linguists at language translation services know the origin of the word. So I can't be bothered by a random language thief trying to appropriate mine grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2021
Google recognizes the foolishness of your argument

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Etinosa1234: 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2021
kayfra:

Your palace is from Ile-Ife and cousins to Oyo. You can argue with your royalty

Oga is foreign to Edo language with all your Vs, KPs and peculiar tonalities. It simply doesn't jive unlike Yoruba with various words in the same vein. You've not shown one single proof that it's of edo origin outside of adopting pidgin english that is sprinkled with so many Yoruba words.

Even linguists at language translation services know the origin of the word. So I can't be bothered by a random language thief trying to appropriate mine grin
We ma hon Edo
We ma ze' do

but u are telling me it doesn't jive

I can count 1-10 for u in Benin and u'll see less words with the v or kp tonality u are talking about

My names doesn't even contain such thing

I doubt u understand Benin apart from the names u hear around

If I ask u abt the kp u think is common, its only Osakpolor, osakpanmwan u'll talk abt...

Does Obaseki, ize iyamu have the kp or v in their name... Would u dem refer to them as Yoruba... Mtcheew

Learn Benin first before saying this thing outside
Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Etinosa1234: 12:16pm On Jun 14, 2021
kayfra:
Google recognizes the foolishness of your argument

Why don't u reverse it..

Search for the meaning of master in Yoruba language and see the result Google give u

Lets see who is more foolish?
Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 12:33pm On Jun 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Why don't u reverse it..

Search for the meaning of master in Yoruba language and see the result Google give u

Lets see who is more foolish?

Look at it below in alternate translations. Our language is rich that we have more than one word for the same thing

They even added the correct ami, something that gets lost when you all use it in pidgin

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by kayfra: 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2021
You should be embarrassed by now. Go argue with a smaller tribe, not the most influential and studied ethnic group out of sub saharan Africa

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by macof(m): 1:30pm On Jun 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

What's your proof...?

For some reason I cant post Screenshots

Get a copy of Ajayi Crowther dictionary of 1852 and see the Real meaning of master...

If Ajayi Crowther didn't know any word such as Oga to mean master in 1852.. how does that make Yoruba people in 2021 to be the originator of the word

when silliness has become your nature.

Crowther used the word "oga" in his dictionary and he translated it as "champion, distinguished person" this is semantically not far from "master"

below is a screenshit from a 1937 Bini dictionary by Hans Melzian... clearly stating that by 1937 it was a word used by the younger generation.
Show me an earlier bini dictionary showing the word to mean anything close to "master" or "champion" that doesn't reference yoruba

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by TAO11(f): 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2021
This is technical knock-out.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Taiwx(m): 1:33pm On May 30, 2022
I l so much love the culture section cool tongue
Re: Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) by Konquest: 10:03pm On Apr 04
macof:

when silliness has become your nature.

Crowther used the word "oga" in his dictionary and he translated it as "champion, distinguished person" this is semantically not far from "master"

below is a screenshot from a 1937 Bini dictionary by Hans Melzian... clearly stating that by 1937 it was a word used by the younger generation.

Show me an earlier bini dictionary showing the word to mean anything close to "master" or "champion" that doesn't reference yoruba
That's impressive.

The Yoruba word Oga was listed in the 1857 Yoruba dictionary by Ajayi Crowther.

In addition, Olusoga is one of the Yoruba names that have Oga (or Master/Boss in it). The founder of Oko Odu (Ikorodu) centuries ago is known as Oko Odu Oga (i.e., Oko Odu the Master). This is the reason why Ikorodu is fully known as "Ikorodu Oga" as of today.

This is exactly how some highly dishonest young Ibos on NL 2 days ago on a frontpage thread blatantly lied that Egusi is not a Yoruba word but from their language. Fortunately well-read folks of Yoruba descent took all of them to the cleaners when it was CLEARLY shown that EGUNSI (EGUSI) is a Yoruba word that was already recorded in the first Yoruba-English dictionary published in 1843! The first Ibo dictionary by Bishop Crowther in 1888 however had NO Egusi or even Egwusi listed in it and subsequent editions simply because ELILI or Enini are the original Ibo names for melon (Egusi).

=>https://www.nairaland.com/8047476/igbo-soups-all-nigerian-tribes

The final blow to the relentless liars among the young Ibos who SHAMEFULLY do not know their own history came when the screenshot of the Longman Ibo dictionary were uploaded on that thread and the Longman entry under Egusi CLEARLY showed that the IBOS got the word Egusi as a LOAN word from the Yor (Yorubas). The entry also referenced Elili as the ACTUAL Ibo name for the Yoruba word Egusi. That also AFFIRMED that Egusi soup has been eaten in Yorubaland for centuries. These are facts that older Ibo scholars such as J.C. Echeruo who contributed to that Longman in Ibo dictionary already knew... That EGUSI is an original Yoruba word.

=>https://www.nairaland.com/8047476/igbo-soups-all-nigerian-tribes/1

Kudos to the Yoruba folks for having a Westernized and educated elite and middle class in the 1800s and for documenting their linguistic and cultural histories as far back as the 1800s which have enabled the ability to debunk the inciting LIES and historical FORGERIES by cultural thieves among the younger Ibos trying to STEAL and claim Yoruba words as theirs.

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Lesson To Fulani On NL, Never Forget Whom You Are / When Problems Are Spiritual.... / The Famous Benin, Idah War

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.