Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,732 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:53 AM

Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? (2383 Views)

Garri And Fried Fish Served At A Wedding In Lagos! / Your take On This Served Garri A.k.a(Gariumsulphyte) / 15 PRINCIPLES OF GARRI Which Of These Drinking Garri Habit Do You Love Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:18pm On Sep 26, 2016
I was arguing with one of my guy today that I only give garri an option only when I have no alternative or running on poverty-level-cash. And I think this is applicable to everyone. But he differed with me that there are rich people that opt for garri for enjoyment and relaxation. Then I beggin to wonder that why on earth would one choose garri among several sophisticated alternatives. As for me, I don't always think weather garri ever existed or not in the time of plenty but I passionately hold onto it as if it is my destined food any time ma pocket they seriously frown....
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by faithugo64(f): 5:21pm On Sep 26, 2016
drinking garri no be poverty,poverty is

allowing the garri to swell before drinking it

2 Likes

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:25pm On Sep 26, 2016
faithugo64:

Lol, to me both boils down to poverty
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by ITbomb(m): 5:29pm On Sep 26, 2016
Till date, I can't eat beans without garri
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by Davash222(m): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2016
I can confidently say yes to this question...

Who drinks Garri when there are better options

We improvise when the availabilities are not available.
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
No, but it's a sign of relief grin
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by Danhumprey: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2016
Garri has been saving Nigerians since Adam and Eve first had sex. So you thinking that drinking garri is a sign of poverty, nna Eh, na you sabi.

Will you say people like KCee, Psquare, are also poor because they drink garri?
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:39pm On Sep 26, 2016
Danhumprey:
Garri has been saving Nigerians since Adam and Eve first had sex. So you thinking that drinking garri is a sign of poverty, nna Eh, na you sabi.

Will you say people like KCee, Psquare, are also poor because they drink garri?

Who told you they ever drink garri form d time they enter limelight ? Ahhhh, u they believe all those their publicity stunt abi ooooo, na oyo u they
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by CHINNYZ(f): 5:44pm On Sep 26, 2016
Drinking garri is not poverty,sometimes u jst feel like is drinking garri. And who told u d rich dont drink garri,expecially d rich that where poor b4 rich
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:46pm On Sep 26, 2016
ITbomb:
Till date, I can't eat beans without garri

My brother that's what u were brought up with probably since d days of ur hustling, the thing don master u sote hardly u feat shop beans without garri. Even at this, my brother u still have a lot to do in knowing where to enjoy better life cos I can't imagine you going to a sophiticated resturant and demand garri. I think this is absolutely impossible. Seriously, u may have money now but u have not used it well...
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by Danhumprey: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2016
tayooluwole:

Who told you they ever drink garri form d time they enter limelight ? Ahhhh, u they believe all those their publicity stunt abi ooooo, na oyo u they
I know it all publicity stunt, but there are rich people that still drink garri from time to time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2016
CHINNYZ:
Drinking garri is not poverty,sometimes u jst feel like is drinking garri.
And who told u d rich dont drink garri,expecially d rich that where poor b4 rich

My sister forget, if not 4 cash palaba... U can never opt for garri when there are thousands of foods as alternative...
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 5:54pm On Sep 26, 2016
Danhumprey:
I know it all publicity stunt, but there are rich people that still drink garri from time to time.

Just forget am, let me use ma own as an example... Initially, ah they drink garri like mad, I mean like mad as if it is d best food in d world, but a little change in the cash level like this, I only remeber garri ever existed only when I go to market and see it on display or when I once in a while opt to eat EBA
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by ITbomb(m): 5:59pm On Sep 26, 2016
tayooluwole:

My brother that's what u were brought up with probably since d days of ur hustling, the thing don master u sote hardly u feat shop beans without garri. Even at this, my brother u still have a lot to do in knowing where to enjoy better life cos I can't imagine you going to a sophiticated resturant and demand garri. I think this is absolutely impossible. Seriously, u may have money now but u have not used it well...
I can't even order for beans in a restaurant (sophisticated or not). Beans is one of the few delicacies that must be prepared in the house for me to eat. The other stuff I can't buy outside is fufu.

I believe you have not seen a home made garri (the one with so little chaff that there's no need to filter) mixed with peak milk (powdered), milo and groundnut. That is a delicacy

1 Like

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 6:11pm On Sep 26, 2016
ITbomb:

I can't even order for beans in a restaurant (sophisticated or not). Beans is one of the few delicacies that must be prepared in the house for me to eat. The other stuff I can't buy outside is fufu.

I believe you have not seen a home made garri (the one with so little chaff that there's no need to filter) mixed with peak milk (powdered), milo and groundnut. That is a delicacy

Even at this, drinking garri no they come to mind but only when ah no get chingbain for ma account
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by ITbomb(m): 6:34pm On Sep 26, 2016
tayooluwole:

Even at this, drinking garri no they come to mind but only when ah no get chingbain for ma account
The way you are talking, your type were people that drank garri heavily and now you move from one extreme to the other. We that took it moderately only when situation demands (as with the beans example) sees it differently
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by tayooluwole: 6:46pm On Sep 26, 2016
ITbomb:

The way you are talking, your type were people that drank garri heavily and now you move from one extreme to the other. We that took it moderately only when situation demands (as with the beans example) sees it differently

Lol
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by Kenfil(f): 11:04pm On Sep 26, 2016
Odiegwu... Drinking garri does not have anything to do with poverty... I drink garri to date and I won't stop .... With my groundnut and other stuffs.. Mm yummy...

2 Likes

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by calliope(f): 7:44am On Sep 27, 2016
tayooluwole:

My sister forget, if not 4 cash palaba... U can never opt for garri when there are thousands of foods as alternative...

I disagree .. Sometimes you crave a particular food so bad you wouldn't opt for another or feel alive till you had had your desired food.. Most often people reconcile garri wif poverty I don't get why? Garri get level ooi cheesy especially when garnished wit all sort.

1 Like

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by eddyline(m): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2016
drinking garri is in no way a sign of poverty. sometimes, its just what you want at that moment.

4 Likes

Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by charijee(f): 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2016
faithugo64:

Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by uboma(m): 8:04pm On Sep 29, 2016
Poverty is when some people here feel that they can only drink Garri soaked in water when they are broke.

Garri soaked in water serves as a healthy snack than most of the processed food we have today.
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2016
calliope:

I disagree .. Sometimes you crave a particular food so bad you wouldn't opt for another or feel alive till you had had your desired food.. Most often people reconcile garri wif poverty I don't get why? Garri get level ooi cheesy especially when garnished wit all sort.

Very well said.
Thanks
Re: Is Drinking Garri A Sign Of Poverty ? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:51pm On Sep 30, 2016
eddyline:
drinking garri is in no way a sign of poverty. sometimes, its just what you want at that moment.

Voila!

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Yummy And Affordable Cakes In Abeokuta / See What Was In The Food A Reputable Restaurant Served Me / 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Throw Away Your Orange Peels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.