Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,555 members, 7,888,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:10 PM

One Man One Wife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Man One Wife (1791 Views)

Christianity And One Man, One Wife / Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Man One Wife by obinna79: 5:35pm On Oct 14, 2009
hello, can one man one wife be proved from the scriptures?
Re: One Man One Wife by JeSoul(f): 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2009
1 Cor 7:2
But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.
Re: One Man One Wife by obinna79: 6:19pm On Oct 14, 2009
JeSoul:

1 Cor 7:2
But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

can i have more scriptures please?
Re: One Man One Wife by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 14, 2009
obinna79:

do you know the meaning of free will?

You have a choice- thats why some choose to become armed robbers, prostitutes or yahoo yahoo scammers while others decide to become lawyers, traders, professors, etc.

God wont physically come down and prevent you from doing whatever it is you want to do- its your choice.

So no need to be looking for one million bible verses for or against polygamy.

Its your life- live it the way you want.
Re: One Man One Wife by aomom(m): 11:06pm On Oct 14, 2009
see with one wife u will av rest of mind buh if u have more than one u will turn a liar over night, u cant tell all of them the truth!
Re: One Man One Wife by Abuzola(m): 4:01pm On Oct 15, 2009
One wife, 6 girl friends and 3 mistresses, chei chrio my feet
Re: One Man One Wife by aomom(m): 9:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
Abuzola:

One wife, 6 girl friends and 3 mistresses, chei chrio my feet
be ready to die before yah time
Re: One Man One Wife by morpheus24: 9:24pm On Oct 15, 2009
ME I get one Iyawo.
One Kokolet on the side
One wey dey perform housegirl job but I dey Nyash am though

CHEI! Does that mean I am a muslim?
Re: One Man One Wife by Abuzola(m): 11:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
Aomen can you now see the reality told by morphus, cheating on his wife, hahahaha islam is good,
Re: One Man One Wife by aomom(m): 12:05am On Oct 16, 2009
well as christians we av been condition to stay clear of adultery cos it carries its own curse! fornication same thing
Re: One Man One Wife by theseeker2: 1:11pm On Oct 21, 2009
most phophets in the bible were polygamus. No where in the bible does it say a man must marry one wife. To be truely christlike all xtians will have to be bachelors so muslims can marry all their women and convert them. grin
Re: One Man One Wife by Muhseen(m): 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2009
the_seeker:

most phophets in the bible were polygamus. No where in the bible does it say a man must marry one wife. To be truely christlike all xtians will have to be bachelors so muslims can marry all their women and convert them. grin

Sounds hilarious.
Re: One Man One Wife by AKO1(m): 2:42pm On Oct 21, 2009
obinna79:

Mark 10:7-8
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife
And they twain (two) shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh
Re: One Man One Wife by cHeMiCaLmEnAnCe: 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
A_K_O's point is solid. He also backed it up wiyh a scripture. Thats all the proof I need. Also, read Genesis 2. GOD made Adam and Eve. For people like Abuzola, HE made Adamu and Hauwa not Adamu and Hauwa and Hafsat and Fidausi and Faizah and Aisha, and whatever name you can remember.
Re: One Man One Wife by KunleOshob(m): 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2009
i don't support polygamy but the truth is that there is no scripture in the bible that commands or instructs one man one wife only. At best it can be inferred like the verses my brethen quoted above. They are merely suggestive and NOT laws or commandments. It is my opinion that if it was truely against the will of God clear cut instructions /laws would have been made against it and we won't have to be inferring it from scriptures that could mean something else. It is note worthy that the Polygamy was a common occurrence amongst the Jewish people that received the various laws and polygamy was not once included as an a sin or as wrong in the whole of the bible. Some people might come up with the Adultery arguement but that truth is that biblical Adultery [from the original hebrew/greek translations] was discriminatory against women. Adultery only occured if a married woman was involved in sex outside marriage. It did not refer to men having sex outside marriage as such jewish men were allowed to have more than one wife and in a lot of cases concubines as well. i know some people would not agree with my submissions but what i have stated is not my opinion but based on well researched biblical facts.
Re: One Man One Wife by theseeker2: 6:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
kunleosob, thanks for your honesty
Re: One Man One Wife by afiq(m): 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2009
I think its important to note that God never says 'Go forth and have multiple wives and concubines' - this was never a commandment from God, and because people did it, even those held in such esteem as David did it out sin - it was not God's will, and was made evident that man and wife should become ONE flesh - this is the key, and an early decree of God.

We should remember that Jesus came not to change the law, but to fulfill it, which means the law was the same then as it was in the OT and Jesus also makes it VERY clear, that marriage between one man and one woman is God's will.

Anything outside of God's will would seem to me to be incurring judgement on yourself.

Peace
Re: One Man One Wife by KunleOshob(m): 9:20am On Oct 26, 2009
@afiq
If david had several wives outside God's will, how come the bible records that God blessed david with several wives and would have blessed him with more rather than him taking another man's wife [batsheba] ?

2 Samuel 12:7-8:

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are that man! The Lord, the God of Israel, says: I anointed you king of Israel and saved you from the power of Saul. 8 I gave you your master’s house and his wives and the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. And if that had not been enough, I would have given you much, much more.

Besides kindly point out the scripture were Jesus made it clear that one man one wife is God's will.
Re: One Man One Wife by afiq(m): 3:22am On Oct 27, 2009
@kunle

1 Timothy 3:2 -- It mainly addresses purity and faithfulness in the marriage relationship, something that could not be taken for granted in the surrounding culture.

Romans 7:1-3; 1 Corinthians 7:39

Many commentators understand the phrase to mean “having the character of a one-woman man,” that is, “faithful to his wife.” In support of this view is the fact that a similar phrase is used in 1 Tim. 5:9 as a qualification for widows (Gk. henos andros gynē; “one-man woman,” i.e., “wife of one husband”), and in that verse it seems to refer to the trait of faithfulness, for a prohibition of remarriage after the death of a spouse would be in contradiction to Paul’s advice to young widows in 5:14. Interpreters who hold this first view conclude that the wording of 3:2 is too specific to be simply a requirement of marriage and not specific enough to be simply a reference to divorce or remarriage after divorce. In the context of this passage, the phrase therefore prohibits any kind of marital unfaithfulness. (2) Another view is that “husband of one wife” means polygamists cannot be elders. Interpreters who hold this view note that there is evidence of polygamy being practiced in some Jewish circles at the time. On this view, the phrase means “at the present time the husband of one wife,” in line with other qualifications which refer to present character. On either of these views, Paul is not prohibiting all second marriages; that is, he is not prohibiting from the eldership a man whose wife has died and who has remarried, or a man who has been divorced and who has remarried (these cases should be evaluated on an individual basis). (3) A third view is that Paul is absolutely requiring that an elder be someone who has never had more than one wife. But that does not fit the context as well, with its emphasis on present character. On any of these views, Paul is speaking of the ordinary cases and is not absolutely requiring marriage or children but is giving a picture of the typical approved overseer as a faithful husband and father.

As we all know, people loves to make their own law out of God's law, to cater their personal interest. I have said enough, and everyone has a mind of their own of what to understand and practice from the Bible. Shalom
Re: One Man One Wife by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 27, 2009
@ kunleoshob

no need to worry yourself with long verses which have no bearing on the question.

The first polygamist is clearly recorded in the bible- a descendant of Cain named lamech, who took two wives.

Now, after this lamech murdered someone just like Cain (and also feeling no remorse for his action, like cain), Adam had another son called Seth.

connect the dots if you want to.
Re: One Man One Wife by Abuzola(m): 6:03am On Oct 27, 2009
Hmmm.
Re: One Man One Wife by KunleOshob(m): 8:34am On Oct 27, 2009
@Afiq
i won't pursue this subject anymore less people begin to think i am advocating for polygamy which i am personally against. But it still remains clear to me that that is no clear cut instruction against polygamy in the bible and given that the jewish people practised polygamy, if God was against it there would have been clear instructions against it we won't have to be forcing meaning to scriptures. The only clear instruction againt polygamy was Paul's instruction to church elders[ not to other members] The other verse you quoted were discrimanatory against women it was women that were not allowed to re-marry as they were considered their husband's property. A lot of the rules and commandements regarding marriage amongst the jew were discriminatory against women. The same rules didn't apply to men. Go and do your research properly with an open mind and use a bible concordance if necessary. With this i sign out of this thread less i am seen as someone advocating for polygamy which i am not but i just don't like it when people force meaning into scripture or twist it to suit their preferences.

(1) (Reply)

Mary Interceding On Behalf Of Catholic / Female Bishop Touches Pastor’spen1s On Pulpit In Ghana[photo] / What's Your Favourite Gospel Music?list Yours!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.