Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,419 members, 7,881,535 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:55 PM

Hymns: Then And Now, Do People Still Write Great Hymns? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hymns: Then And Now, Do People Still Write Great Hymns? (408 Views)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / Stories Behind Great Hymns / Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hymns: Then And Now, Do People Still Write Great Hymns? by tripua: 12:59am On Oct 02, 2016
Eskew in his book titled Sing with Understanding, An Introduction to Christian Hymnology defines hymns as a lyric poem, reverently and devotionally conceived, which is designed to be sung and which expresses the worshipper's attitude toward God or God's purposes in human life. It should be simple and metrical in form, genuinely emotional, poetic and literary in style, spiritual in quality, and in its ideas so direct and so immediately apparent as to unify a congregation while singing it.

Hymns as I understand it are beautiful in tune, lyrical in writing with each word absolutely pivotal and directional

Pick up a big hymn book and you will always see one hymn that connects with your soul for whatever your state of life is. The mystery is that those great hymns are centuries old. consider "it is well" published as far back as 1876 and you will understand what I am saying.

without boring anyone with stories, Do people still write great Hymns? and I don't mean remixing old hymns by outright or partial change of lyrics.
If yes, are they as great as the great ones we know? if no, what made the difference between those men and women of old who wrote the great Hymns and those of us in the now! (we sure still have Great people)
Re: Hymns: Then And Now, Do People Still Write Great Hymns? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:08am On Oct 02, 2016
I haven't seen any great hymn written recently.
Re: Hymns: Then And Now, Do People Still Write Great Hymns? by EniHolar(f): 2:06am On Oct 02, 2016
People still do.

But recently composed hymns may not be common like old ones because it takes time before they can go round the globe to be included among selected hymns chosen by different denominations.

(1) (Reply)

Morning Glory / The Tempting Of Christian Man "God" / 50 Facts About Your Wife As Today Is Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.