Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,956 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:50 AM

Change Begins With Me: A Call For Nation-building - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Change Begins With Me: A Call For Nation-building (260 Views)

19 Simple Ways To Show Change Begins With You As A Nigerian - LoftyCentre / Buhari And Osinbajo Wearing Caps In Support Of 'Change Begins With Me' / Buhari To Launch ‘change Begins With Me’ Campaign On Thursday-the Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Change Begins With Me: A Call For Nation-building by AJohnnasa(m): 12:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
Our generation is too distracted! We are worse than the previous (and I fear for the next), especially with advancements in technology, the birth of the internet and smartphone. We consider cyber trolling, cyber stalking, and cyber bullying tops. We rather a Twitter and Facebook overlords than actual physical connection. We rather rant on social media than contribute even a mustard-seed-size quota to nation-building.

It is a known fact that the government over the years have shown little (or no?) concern about education. UNICEF once recommended that 26% of our national budget go to education, although that is a moot point. Who are they to advise us? Are we not sovereign and independent of external influence? We can make our budget anyway and anyhow we want – we can go as far as to pad it!

The people in government do not want us to get educated because if we do, we will become enlightened, and when that happens, it will become difficult for them to loot. Why do you think they rather education become very expensive? We all know this, since it is an established fact. Why then do we go ahead to give them advantage to do more harm? Why have we not tried to change this? Why do we thrive in mundane things – even with all our education?

An average Nigerian youth will never engage you in political discourse – things that affect us DIRECTLY as a people. When you try to talk about it, they flip. “What is my stake?” They will ask. They will say people in government can do what they like, when they like, and how they like. We feel less concerned!

Enter, Religion.

I am of the opinion that religion has done us more harm. Let me not go into details of how it has divided rather than unite us, lest we derail from the topic.

In my country, we celebrate mediocrity. Some will rather fast and pray to achieve something that they could ordinary achieve if they put in little work. Everything is spiritual! You see your university classmate like and type “AMEN” on a Facebook post simply because it came in form of a prayer by a parody account with the name of their celebrity man of God. No, I am not trying to dispel faith or act of God… is it not worrisome that we can hardly find religious organisations that are concerned about developments of her congregants? How many religious organisations preach about involvement in politics or nation-building? How many encourage her congregants to pay tithes, nay, taxes? The truth is that we are too carried away – we have lost touch with reality. If religions preach/teach good morals and participation in things that concern our society, we will have a better place to call our own. Citizens will be happy to perform their civic obligations. It is bloodcurdling to know that what is obtainable is the direct opposite. When you walk into a church/mosque/temple/shrine, you feel totally separated from the world, you forget your worries, you forget the hardship, and you forget everything! It is good that religion makes one feel safe, however, we can have it safer.

We need to get involved more in 'things of the world'. We need to get deeply involved in nation-building. We are too quick to blame government, yet we fail to realise that government alone CANNOT influence directly WITHOUT OUR contribution. If we must witness the change we desire, we must forgo frivolities, and help our nation in her journey to greatness. Indeed, CHANGE BEGINS WITH YOU!

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Many Years After Independence / Oil Theft: Buhari Seeks Germany’s Collaboration / Stakeholders Task FG To Inject Money Into Economy To Reduce Interest Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.