Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,451 members, 7,911,106 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 03:12 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (383) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (889768 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (1152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 7:56pm On Jul 04, 2022
Positives
1. Chikwelu exposed. Let's see if the coach is senseless again to start her next match.
2. Keeper is going to change. This one doesn't give any confidence.
3. We have better players on the bench, as is shown when the subs came in.
4. Oshoala is out. As bad as this looks, Oshoala is actually not helping this team. She takes away many team plays and ruins them. Her asset is speed, but not much after that.
5. Michelle Alozie is a baller!
6. Coming 2nd in the group is actually better as it puts us on the easier path to final.

Next match will be much easier. Our next tough game might be in the semi final.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by arsenal96: 7:57pm On Jul 04, 2022
labas370:
Our midfield was over-ran by south africa. .. What the actual Bleep is the coach doing? Ordega entered and started playing the mid-field and things started opening up. The strikers were starved of ball. This coach is mad. They should sack him....
All the blame should be on coaching crew
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 7:57pm On Jul 04, 2022
AkinDS:
Dumb ass midfield set up by Randy cost us this game.
Hopefully, this should be the END of Chikwelu starting for the SE.
Need to play younger and more energetic players in the midfield.

Truth is, we sucked big time in this opener.

Don't be surprised if Chikwelu starts the next game... Coaches like Randy don't learn... At times you wonder whether they were sent to intentionally sabotage the team...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CornOak(m): 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2022
daveP:
was supposed to be 5

Nothing would have happened even if they added ten (10) additional minutes.

We had all the time and chances to snatch the winner but we didn't. Counting on the closing minutes is worrisome.

68% pass accuracy and the lack of basic football skills leave you wondering what they've been doing in training.

Anyways, we move. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Softwareguy21: 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2022
joelsteron:
Flamingo will beat this team or atleast get a draw.
falconet will beat this super falcon believe me.. no be mouth oo.. this is the same thing SF played against ivory Coast at MKO stadium.. no coordination just puff the ball upfront for strikers to chase.. this game is begging for ordega since.. the coach na otu

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2022
Never been convinced with Randy Waldrum as Super Falcon's coach. Today again gives credence to my pessimism. Randy lost the game today in my opinion.

The Falcon's though qualified for the WAFCON were never convincing. We struggled to string a couple of passes together. It took luck and moments of brilliance by some players to get us here.

Chikwelu should say goodbye to the team. She's always been a liability.

When you think about it, it's crazy that we lost most of the aerial duels. BB took complete control of the midfield, and they had us exactly where they wanted us.

J

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by arsenal96: 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2022
I cannot even remember when last Oshoala perform in Nigeria colour, she has been plain poor. And I don't know what the coach has been doing with the team for more than a year now. The same team u played friendly against not too long, they dominated you in that match, today they still did the same, even with a full squad Nigeria paraded.I think we should go back to our local coaches. They did well handling this team, then we have pattern and proper build up.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2022
Actually we did contain South Africa for a long time and we did it well. But that was all.
We didn't have an attacking outlet. Oshoala was piss poor. Ajibade tried so much to make things happen.
Toni Payne was ineffective in the system too. We should play 442 going forward.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by COOL10(m): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:

Osohola's dip in form in the national team also started since the appointment of these Western coaches...
Coincidence? I think not...

I'm guessing her coaches at Barcelona where she performs excellently well are Africans right? undecided undecided undecided SMH

Attack the coach, not the race.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by arsenal96: 8:09pm On Jul 04, 2022
Rita Chukwuelu has passed her prime, they hardly use her in her club. We have Ucheibe in bench, proper DM. Pair her with Ayinde, let's Ajibade move up, as CM. As bad as Odega is, she hardly do poorly in major tour, she can still beat defenders in the wings and provide delicate crosses. Use her and T. Payne. Anumonu is fine as nine as she gives alot compare to Asisat. Her goals qualify us for this tour. They when opposition team is tired bring Oshoala and Chickwuelu in. It is as simple as that.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2022
Anyway Sha me I'm saying my mind there I don't give a Bleep anymore, you can't come and spoil my lovely Superfalcons team

Who should I blame now?
The department that bleeped up knows themselves..
The players that didn’t lived up to expectations knows themselves…

Same Selection Problem…. Why keep some players who we know too well that are supposed to start for some who can’t even run or control the midfield…

Selection problem�

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2022
Nwanyi oma....obim...omalicha.
This girl doesn't deserve to be on the losing side today. They should help us give her proper massage abeg...the girl too much

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2022
Boy. We got owned. I guess I heard the wrong battle cry. Lol

Our starting midfield should not be having Rita Chikwelu in it at all.

Ucheibe who had a brilliant midfield showing vs Canada in April kept on the bench for Chikwelu?? Ajibade Played deep when her ball skills, ball carrying and drive were needed close to the box?? Omo.... Waldrum was high on cheap rum today. You cannot tell me nothing! angry

Kudos to Desiree Ellis and her girls. Balled us off the park.

Our only true sense of urgency came with the changes. Ikechukwu, Ordega... these are lasses who wanna make things happen.

And this team can do without Oshoala. If she is not fit.... Please bloody bench her abeg!!! No time! We balled Canada without her and excelled. Na wa.

This tournament is SA's to lose. They are clearly the best side at this competition but then when I remember how Nigeria always came back after shocking opening results of a 1-0 loss in 2002, 2-2 draw in 2004 and a 1-0 loss in 2018.... I think we may have a deja vu coming if the girls indeed step up from this loss.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2022
COOL10:

I'm guessing her coaches at Barcelona where she performs excellently well are Africans right? undecided undecided undecided SMH

Attack the coach, not the race.

Her coaches at Barcelona are definitely not as clueless as those bunches we have here...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by arsenal96: 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2022
And people suggesting Ebi should retire, if not for her today, we will concede nothing less than 4 goals. She was our best defender by mile, even had assist for Ajibade's goal. Alozie and Plumpetre did very well too. Ohale disappointed today, as I rated her than what she showed today. Bad midfield didn't allow us to see what T.Payne and Anumonu are capable of doing in attack. If this coach qualify us to world cup and don't improve the team, we will be disgraced.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2022
do4luv14:
So me and my bae Dodge bullet today6, Mostob you see am
grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2022
mostob:
Nwanyi oma....obim...omalicha.
This girl doesn't deserve to be on the losing side today. They should help us give her proper massage abeg...the girl too much

Totally missed the interception for their second goal. Refiloe Jane is not a born again. She absolutely buried Alozie with that sweet through ball. No way was she getting it mehn. grin

But aside all that... Alozie had a good game. Plumptre too although Noxolo Cesane owned her for the first goal.

As least, my fav SA'an player, Linda Motlhalo won today. What a Baller she is.

This Man below needs to get sober and fast.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2022
The left wing was too exposed today... And the coach was just so clueless...

Oshoala should just siddon for one side abeg... suddenly she can't run again SMH.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2022
Yes, they did well losing to Ivory Coast which cost us the Olympics, right.
Puhlease!
arsenal96:
I cannot even remember when last Oshoala perform in Nigeria colour, she has been plain poor. And I don't know what the coach has been doing with the team for more than a year now. The same team u played friendly against not too long, they dominated you in that match, today they still did the same, even with a full squad Nigeria paraded.I think we should go back to our local coaches. They did well handling this team, then we have pattern and proper build up.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Pidginwhisper: 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Oshoala should stop playing for us abeg

see as she was just strolling in the pitch
When we talk am, one match commentator go come dey mention her achievements at the national level. There are more hungrier players yarning to play, sit her ass out.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Totally missed the interception for their second goal. Refiloe Jane is not a born again. She absolutely buried Alozie with that sweet through ball. No way was she getting it mehn. grin

But aside all that... Alozie had a good game. Plumptre too although Noxolo Cesane owned her for the first goal.

As least, my fav player, SA'an Linda Motlhalo won today. What a Baller she is.

This Man below needs to get sober and fast.
There was nothing she could do with that through ball...she did what she had to do. The girl really played well today...beauty with brain.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by COOL10(m): 8:21pm On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:

Her coaches at Barcelona are definitely not as clueless as those bunches we have here...

Ehenn, now you're talking. Yes, from all indications so far, Randy Waldrum is a poor coach. I just didn't want you criticizing him because of where he comes from. Poor coaches dey everywhere.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
Ohale went to sleep for the second goal, leaving Alozie exposed and having to mark 2 SA players and leading to the splitting pass.
Quite disappointed in her play and decision making today.
arsenal96:
And people suggesting Ebi should retire, if not for her today, we will concede nothing less than 4 goals. She was our best defender by mile, even had assist for Ajibade's goal. Alozie and Plumpetre did very well too. Ohale disappointed today, as I rated her than what she showed today. Bad midfield didn't allow us to see what T.Payne and Anumonu are capable of doing in attack. If this coach qualify us to world cup and don't improve the team, we will be disgraced.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 8:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
hatakekakashi:
I talked about the overconfidence and overhype before. Everybody boasting like Nigeria is prime USA.

Desire Ellis completely read our players from start to finish. Our coach Randy just sat down there doing nothing. Let's just try and qualify for World cup otherwise its going to be two losses in a year

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Pidginwhisper: 8:23pm On Jul 04, 2022
Give this Team back to Omagbemi Ellis won’t see Draw.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2022
AkinDS:
Yes, they did well losing to Ivory Coast which cost us the Olympics, right.
Puhlease!
The guy who lost to Ivorycoast have always done terribly with falcons as interim coach. He is now in charge of the U20 team. When we say local coaches we are talking about the likes of Omagbemi, or some of those former players.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2022
Yeah. Which was to stretch and just look beautiful on the grass. grin

Truth is she got her positioning all wrong in the buildup to that goal. She didn't underlap enough. That was her wing.

mostob:
There was nothing she could do with that through ball...she did what she had to do. The girl really played well today...beauty with brain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Wafcon 2022: 7 Pre-Tournament Questions to keep watch on

1. Will Asisat Oshoala catch up with Mercy Akide in the Wafcon All time top scorers list?
Oshoala has 13 since her Wafcon debut in 2014 while The Great Mercy has 18 across 3 tournaments since 1998.
And Don't ask me about Perpetua... for now that record is untouchable. Perhaps in the next 2 editions. grin

2. Will Thembi Kgatlana overtake Veronica Phewa as South Africa's all time top scorer in Wafcon history since 1998?
Kgatlana has 5 Wafcon goals all scored at the 2018 edition since she made the SA Wafcon squad in 2014.
The legendary Phewa has 10 goals across 5 Wafcon tournaments. This will be Kgatlana's 4th Wafcon tournament.

3. How quickly will Kgatlana displace Amanda Dlamini as SA's 2nd all time top scorer at the Wafcon?
Dlamini has 6 wafcon goals. Kgatlana has 5. Surely the Super Falcons won't want Thembi displacing Dlamini against them on July 4. So Ebi and Co better keep keen eyes on her.

4. Will Jermaine Seoposenwe of Banyana Banyana score for the 3rd consecutive tournament in a row?

Apart from a host of Super Falcons stars who dominate the list led by the Super Legendary GOATs of African Women Football, Nkwocha and Akide, the likes of Adjoa Bayor (2000-2004), Veronica Phewa(2000-2008), Gabrielle Onguene (2008-2012), Chinasa Okoro (2006-2012) and ofcourse, Awcon/Wafcon legend, Genoveva Añonma (2006-2012) make up a Special list of stars who have scored in 3 or more consecutive Wafcon tournaments they have appeared in.

Jermaine scored at the 2016 edition and at the 2018 edition. Missed the 2014 edition.
Her debut tournament was the 2010 edition. The Edition hosted in SA which Nkwocha Undisputedly OWNED from beginning to end. grin

She looks primed to score again at this one but hopefully not in the first game against our girls. Ebi, Plumptre and co. You have been alerted. wink

5. Will Gabrielle Onguene finally leave Legendary Camerounian Defender, Christine Manie behind and move clear into top spot as Cameroun's All time top scorer at the Wafcon?

Both ladies sit on 6 goals each. Manie is 38 now and not gonna be at this tournament. Onguene is 33 and is Cameroun's Captain for Maroc 2022 Wafcon. Inevitable right? Time will tell. wink

6. Who would hit the first hattrick of Wafcon 2022?

The last edition saw only one hattrick and it was bagged by Nigerian Superstar, Asisat Oshoala vs Equatorial Guinea in the group stage.

South Africa since 2002 have produced 4 different Hatrrick scorers (Phewa, Mgcoyi, Matlou, Dlamini).

Nigeria boasts the highest ofcos with 4 hattricks and 2 Super hattricks since 2006 (exempting 1998 until records are properly sorted).

Note: Super Hattrick - 4 goals+

There have been only 2 women to have scored 4 times in a Wafcon game as far as "accessible records so far" go.
*Akide is said to have bagged 8 goals in 1998 out of the Super Falcons' 28 at the tournament but Records seen so far before this stats compilation haven't been able to break down how many she scored each game. She didn't score in the final vs Ghana though.

So in this light, the 2 women are:

i. Perpetua Nkwocha vs Cameroun in 2004 CAF Women's Nations Cup Final.

ii. Asisat Oshoala vs Mali in 2016 CAF Women's Nations Cup Group stage.

7. Will Nigeria's Super Falcons become the First Women's International side to "OFFICIALLY" win 10 continental titles in Women's Football History?

Yes, some records do put it at 11 titles for Nigeria counting from 1991 but for the sake of the "Officially Official" Records since 1998 under the standard group stage to KOs format, Nigeria is heading for La decima and would actually become Women's Football's FIRST Double digits Continental Champs if they lift the title come 23rd July

In Europe, Germany has the most titles with 8. The 2022 Women's Euros will hold from 6-31 July. Germany winning it will only make it 9.

In Asia, China's steel roses bagged their 9th continental title at the AFC Women's Nations Cup held earlier this year between 20 Jan and 6 Feb.

In South America, Brazil has 7 titles. The next Copa America Femenina holds between 8-30 July.

In North America, World Champs and World Number 1, USA has 8 titles. They are gunning for only their 9th between 4-18 July, next month this summer.

In Oceania, the OFC Women's Nations Cup will take place from 13 - 30 July. The most successful team there is New Zealand with 6 titles. They are gunning for a possible 7th.

So this leaves Nigeria's Super Falcons as the only team with a chance to Officially hit La Decima this year and become Women's football First ever 10-times Continental Champs.

Schemerkhiz, communicate this to them oooo.... Let them know they are about to make history internationally in the Women's game. wink

#InTheMoodFor10
#GoingFor10
#SoarSuperFalcons

Perhaps I jinxed the first game. My #4 pre tournament question has been answered already. Yikes!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2022
She had two players in her zone with no cover - the one coming at her who laid the pass, and the one who scored. So, in your humble opinion, who should she have marked?

If you ever played as a defender, you would know that she made the right or plausible choice and that is to block the passing lane.
Unfortunately for her, that was a brilliant defense splitting pass.
Absolutely no fault on her part.
TheSuperNerd:

Truth is she got her positioning all wrong in the buildup to that goal. She didn't underlap enough. That was her wing.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2022
Pidginwhisper:
When we talk am, one match commentator go come dey mention her achievements at the national level. There are more hungrier players yarning to play, sit her ass out.

see ehnn lemme not talk anything yet, before the same commentator will team me hater
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2022
AkinDS:
She had two players in her zone with no cover - the one coming at her who laid the pass, and the one who scored. So, in your humble opinion, who should she have marked?

If you ever played as a defender, you would know that she made the right or plausible choice and that is to block the passing lane.
Unfortunately for her, that was a brilliant defense splitting pass.
Absolutely no fault on her part.

Imagine how quick you are to come to her aid with elaborate explanations exonerating her from any fault at all. The fact still remains that goal came from her wing so she definitely has a part in our conceeding. She didn't underlap at the right moment. Had she done that, the angle would have been narrower to enable the choice she made work out.

That is the Truth.

Ofcos it is not entirely her fault but she cannot be exempted 100%. It was her wing.

If this was Glory Ogbonna.. I really know exactly what you will be saying. So save your selective elaborations.

And ohhh, I have played as a defender. Naturally a forward though but these are things I was taught even at such basic levels. You have to keep one keen eye on a wide player as a Fullback and use initiative to know when to underlap and overlap to avoid getting caught out like she was.

So yes, Alozie cannot be exempted. Enough of these selected talks for favorites and analyse the game holistically.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:56pm On Jul 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Ohale didn't do well to cover for her Doc...it's 1 vs 2 situation and she just had to take the risk by intercepting but it went wrong.

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (1152) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.