Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,126 members, 7,887,256 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:53 AM

Who Defines Ethics? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Defines Ethics? (487 Views)

Various Ways The Bible Defines Faith / Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? / MFM Pastor Defines Death , Says Death Not End Of Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Defines Ethics? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 12, 2016
I've been pondering this for a time and I decided to seek the opinions of nairalanders.

What is considered unethical and how can it be decided if humans themselves are inherently flawed and unethical?
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
People will be condemning indecent dressing, keeping of girlfriends and all that stuff.

But they aren't saints either cry
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by AgentOfAllah: 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2016
KissChris:
I've been pondering this for a time and I decided to seek the opinions of nairalanders.

What is considered unethical and how can it be decided if humans themselves are inherently flawed and unethical?

My take on ethics is guided by utilitarianism. A system whose basic premise is guided by two rules:

1) Maximise benefit for myself and as many as possible; and
2) Minimise discomfort for myself and as many as possible.

This leads to minimal interference in the transactions of others, as long as such dealings don't cause harm to other people in any perceptible way.

There are however, desperate situations that can force one to deviate from this system; especially in cases where emotional response is inevitable. A famous example is the many expressions of the Trolley thought experiment, in which I have to choose between the death of a close person and that of several distant (unknown) people. Here, I have no problem discarding utilitarianism for a more beneficial, albeit selfish, outcome. However, for mundane transactions, utilitarianism suffices for me.

To answer your question, I don't think anybody defines ethics, but I believe that most people share many common goals, which makes it easy to define a few universal rules like right to life (presently limited only to humans).
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by ValentineMary(m): 7:45pm On Oct 12, 2016
We define our own right and wrong based on how well it suits our survival as social animals. Johnnydon22 & PastorAIO once opened a nice thread on this topic. We are our own Gods and we are all we have. We don't need the holy spirit not to be an asshole.
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by felixomor: 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
ValentineMary:
We define our own right and wrong based on how well it suits our survival as social animals. Johnnydon22 & PastorAIO once opened a nice thread on this topic. We are our own Gods and we are all we have. We don't need the holy spirit not to be an asshole.

Speak on ethics and u must find a way to talk about God.
Are u that pained?
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by ValentineMary(m): 8:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
felixomor:

Speak on ethics and u must find a way to talk about God.
Are u that pained?
I have spoken on ethics several times without talking of God.
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by felixomor: 8:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

I have spoken on ethics several times without talking of God.

Smh sad
Re: Who Defines Ethics? by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 13, 2016
cc : Seun pls fp
I need answers

(1) (Reply)

Pastors And Scaming. The TB Joshua Example / My Advice To Christains When Dealing With Atheist. / Testimony From The Richest Man In Zimbabwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.