Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,956 members, 7,919,079 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 09:07 PM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (48280 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by olarent: 7:09am On Oct 14, 2016
Friend,don't eva try to visit poland more terrible dan russia.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Seun360(m): 7:11am On Oct 14, 2016
Not surprised though, i recalled Zenit St Petersburg fans told their club never to sign black players after they signed Hulk and Witsel some years back.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by melejo(m): 7:17am On Oct 14, 2016
Racism is bad but tribalism is worse. Especially the one in Nigeria. I wouldn't rent my house to you because you're from tribe A etc

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by camelus: 7:18am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

Pictures or I would not believe this Story!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by codemaniacs: 7:20am On Oct 14, 2016
mayordj4real:
We blacks don't have unity and we are not really contributing anything to develop the world. The slavery we put ourselves into is more than what the whites are doing to us. Work in Nigeria for months without getting paid, which will never happen in the West e.g UK or usa

say YOU are not contributing anything to the world not WE.

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by codemaniacs: 7:21am On Oct 14, 2016
musicwriter:
Racism will die a natural death when Africans come to their senses, take control of our native languages, culture, history, education. Only then shall we be able to learn to go to moon, build our own airplanes, cars, ship, submarines, e.t.c. Racism persists because black people in Africa have not gained the respect of the world.

Consider this.................

You're a Nigerian because whiteman said you're a Nigerian.

Our official language is English because whiteman said so.

Today is Friday because white man said today is Friday.

This month is October because white man said so.

Jesus is our saviour because whiteman said so.

Mohammad is our messenger to Allah because Arabs said so.

Knowledge is only knowledge when whiteman create one for us to learn.

Oxygen is Oxygen because whiteman said so.

e.t.c, e.t.c.

As long as we continue to accept these things hook, line, and sinker without being able to add, question, create knowledge to school our minds according to our own needs, for so long shall black people be let down as people without intellectual capability. As a matter of fact, for so long shall we continue to be controlled like sheep.

Its unfortunate, but the black race is disrespected worldwide because of our backwardness in Africa.

Africa is not backward... you are the backward person..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 14, 2016
dotman4real007:
racism is everywhere!!! even in Nigeria we have tribalism. and what I call wealth racism.

You don't have to be wealthy in Nigeria to be a tribalist.

Btw are you Afonja ndi afonjo or Money loving Fla.ttie or non of the above... reveal your identity and wait for further instructions.

@ Op, I pray whatever dem Russians did to you, Bro Mikel will do his baby mama...pls say amin to that.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by HoneyBee23(f): 7:28am On Oct 14, 2016
He might have done this over there, that's why, I guess.

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Antina(f): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2016
Racism everywhere, may God help us.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by lemonys(m): 7:31am On Oct 14, 2016
Histrings08:
Racism can't be eradicated.. Ask me why nd I'll explain
Why?
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 14, 2016
lemonys:
Why?
If we stop hating ourselves and love our culture,food,skin,language,continent,hair e.t.c

stop hearing all that negative propaganda about africa,let us be positive and all that hate toward us will be fruitless

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by uzoexcel(m): 7:53am On Oct 14, 2016
Tribalism and racism...no difference IMO

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by codemaniacs: 7:54am On Oct 14, 2016
africaken254:
If we stop hating ourselves and love our culture,food,skin,language,continent,hair e.t.c

stop hearing all that negative propaganda about africa,let us be positive and all that hate toward us will be fruitless

In Africa, there is tribalism... racism and tribalism cannot be eradicated..
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kechywillz(m): 7:59am On Oct 14, 2016
Following
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 14, 2016
Kenyanstar:

With the reputation that Nigerians posses, the devil has a better chance of getting a warm reception compared to a Nigerian scamming drug pushing and rapist Nigerians.... Thats the impression and perspective most Africans have about thiefing Nigerians.

Mr man would you shut your mouth. Which country is perfect even Kenya also are involve in scamming,drug pushing,raping,sleeping with someone wife etc. Aren't you listening to new or are you not seeing them on newspaper. All mother***er just like pointing finger to we Nigeria for every crime like they themselves are perfect.MUMU

5 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by drnoel: 8:05am On Oct 14, 2016
PunterTim:
It beats me atimes when peeps get affected by this!.Why would i be concerned when someone insults my skin color.There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being black and the whole world knows it,why should i be bothered.

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are fragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!

I agree with u but for ur last sentence. There is none to blame if one feels emotionally challenged after such an event. Its understandable cos if u've never experienced it u wont understand it. Such lessons are hard learnt but the rebound reactions from the sufferers are the problems. After my experience I was down for a while, depressed cos I am a professional but was treated as a cleaner. I became aggrieved and my depression took a manic turn so I became arrogant and attacked any person I perceived looked down at me. From experience I have realised there is nothing wrong with being black, infact its the exact opposite, something to be proud off. When I realised that reactions to their hateful stares changed and I started walking with swag, that was when I actually noticed that the reason they tried to put me down, tried to make the devil of me, made me suffer was cos they believed they were better than me. They were convinced I was of no good and will come of no good. I made then a silent resolve within myself to disprove that misnomer cos I knew who I was and I knew if given the same opportunity they had I was going to be better, infact I knew I was better than them. It was obvious they felt threatened by my presence cos they got uncomfortable anytime I was nearby. I had a ball in that firm after realisation came to me. I was like a star cos I was the only black person there, everyone knew me but my job situation didn't improve. Anyway that was years ago. Racism is real, I have seen it in several colours. Funny I am returning to that firm in a few months but now not as a cleaner but an external consultant similar to a director's position. A lot of people are going to go crazy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Kenyanstar: 8:18am On Oct 14, 2016
Wisdomval67:

Mr man would you shut your mouth. Which country is perfect even Kenya also are involve in scamming,drug pushing,raping,sleeping with someone wife etc. Aren't you listening to new or are you not seeing them on newspaper. All mother***er just like pointing finger to we Nigeria for every crime like they themselves are perfect.MUMU
Young Man, just look at the front page of Nairaland today and show me anything positive on the topics you see... its all gloom, death, rape stories, scamming stories etc. Am not making up anything, just pointing out what most of us from outside Nigeria see.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by shuni05: 8:19am On Oct 14, 2016
I find it demeaning when people on here call the OP a liar for posting his own experience, YES there is Racism and it's everywhere, just because you've lived there and married doesn't mean there aren't racists, maybe you only chose to ignore them or haven't witnessed it at its peak but am quite sure if you've lived there for long you would have or met people who have.

Even in big cities, I had my first big experience in Berlin of all places in Germany where we were pushed out of our Hotel and later got apologized to, after reading TripAdvisor reviews about them, I knew I shouldn't have stayed there. Or was it my friend's experience in the big city of Hamburg where a guy walked up to them right at the train station and called them Monkeys telling them to go back to their stinking Africa. Or was it my friend who was called a Monkey by his supervisor not knowing he understood German, he stopped working that day and management decided to pay him full for the day and offered apologies because they don't want problems. Another is my friend who got punched by an Eastern European because he doesn't like blacks (case still pending and we're waiting for settlement which is cash).

So Yes there is Racism everywhere but my view is that it's more common among white people who aren't so enlightened and probably haven't traveled far.

#SAYNOTORACISM

6 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by codemaniacs: 8:27am On Oct 14, 2016
Kenyanstar:

Young Man, just look at the front page of Nairaland today and show me anything positive on the topics you see... its all gloom, death, rape stories, scamming stories etc. Am not making up anything, just pointing out what most of us from outside Nigeria see.

we also read of bad things happening in Kenya... so get the f:uck out of here if you have nothing meaningful to say...

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by mrbyron(m): 8:29am On Oct 14, 2016
musicwriter:
Racism will die a natural death when Africans come to their senses, take control of our native languages, culture, history, education. Only then shall we be able to learn to go to moon, build our own airplanes, cars, ship, submarines, e.t.c. Racism persists because black people in Africa have not gained the respect of the world.

Consider this.................

You're a Nigerian because whiteman said you're a Nigerian.

Our official language is English because whiteman said so.

Today is Friday because white man said today is Friday.

This month is October because white man said so.

Jesus is our saviour because whiteman said so.

Mohammad is our messenger to Allah because Arabs said so.

Knowledge is only knowledge when whiteman create one for us to learn.

Oxygen is Oxygen because whiteman said so.

e.t.c, e.t.c.

As long as we continue to accept these things hook, line, and sinker without being able to add, question, create knowledge to school our minds according to our own needs, for so long shall black people be let down as people without intellectual capability. As a matter of fact, for so long shall we continue to be controlled like sheep.

Its unfortunate, but the black race is disrespected worldwide because of our backwardness in Africa.

My brother you've said it all
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Perceptor(m): 8:31am On Oct 14, 2016
PunterTim:
It beats me atimes when peeps get affected by this!.Why would i be concerned when someone insults my skin color.There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being black and the whole world knows it,why should i be bothered.

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are pfragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!
Bro., dat's d problem wt Africans. Why shld one feel bad wen called 'black' wen u shld be feeling proud? Does a white man feel embarrassed wen called white? No! He actually takes pride and dominance from it and uses it to oppress d so called black just because d latter feel inferior about his colour. You have d black race today stuggling to prove a point to others, and this is actually making them look pathetic and helpless which others capitalise on to embarras d black.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 14, 2016
PunterTim:

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are fragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!
is easy to say it buh is not that easy bro
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Kenyanstar: 8:47am On Oct 14, 2016
codemaniacs:

we also read of bad things happening in Kenya... so get the f:uck out of here if you have nothing meaningful to say...

Ok, if Kenya is that bad can you show me an incidence where Kenyans are being executed in Indonesian jails for drug peddling, where a Kenyan is languishing in an indian jail for 419 scam, where a Kenyan is deported from another country for involvement in money laundering, where a Kenyan is reported to have tried to rape his/her host. If you show me then i will withdraw and apologies!! Otherwise shut up and stop supporting the indefensable!!!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by beautyerhu86(f): 8:48am On Oct 14, 2016
mengho:
well 90% of Russians are racist, I don't see what the big deal is here, why do your think black people hate going to Russia for schooling & other stuff when giving the chance.....its cause Russians are super racist, in some areas the will even try to beat you up & am not even dat dark anyways.

You lie. Investigate and Research weĺl before writing what you don't know
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by naijamerican: 8:58am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

You obviously didn't research Russia much prior to going. Racism is a well known and entrenched part of Russian culture. Any place is better than Nigeria, according to the typical Nigerian...

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Histrings08(m): 8:58am On Oct 14, 2016
lemonys:
Why?
I've explained it already, too many quote nd I can't reply all.. Sowie bro
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by LoveJesus87(m): 9:00am On Oct 14, 2016
FastShipping:
Racism is everywhere in the west. Don't be shocked to read from me that racism in the US is high as ever. I have seen it all.
Really? US ke? sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Following Are The Countries Already In 2019 / Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) / Are These The Neatest Cities In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.