Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,511 members, 7,968,381 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 06:18 AM

Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 (7919 Views)

Woman Carries Her Baby After 23-Years Of Marriage. See Photo / HIV-Positive Woman Arrested For Breastfeeding Neighbour’s Baby / My Husband And I Tested Hiv Positive Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by tithe(m): 2:52pm On Oct 22, 2009
I advice all the women here to go for test, may be they will be enlist among the participants. smiley
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Johnnoo(m): 2:53pm On Oct 22, 2009
chic2pimp:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy. On a serious note though,if it helps reduce the stigma usually associated with the disease in our society, I wholeheartedly support it.
Me sef wonder ooo.

this is the winner. . .
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Nezan(m): 3:00pm On Oct 22, 2009
I will suggest Seun installs a software that can track your HIV status online using your finger prints as you type . . . what about that?
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2009
this will wind up being the most honest pageant in the history of Nigeria - if it works out - the judges will be too scared to chook the contestants grin
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by ud4u: 3:43pm On Oct 22, 2009
We can no longer do anything with our talent, time and resources anymore. Anyway I wish them luck.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by clomn(m): 4:07pm On Oct 22, 2009
INTERESTING!!!!!

HOPE THIS WILL NOT MOTIVATE PEOPLE TO SEE AIDS AS NOTHING SINCE PRIZES AND RECOGNITION IS ABOUT COMING OUT OF IT. LMAO
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Yoighaman(m): 4:16pm On Oct 22, 2009
I see nothing wrong with this initiative, if  beauty peagents could be  organized for HIV negative people, y can't it be done for persons living with HIV

They need to be integrated back into the society and live like normal humans without any form of stigma.

condemnation of this event is synonymous to condemning the PARA-LYMPIC games

A "crazy person" like me could get married to an HIV positive person if i fall in love with her, even though i am negative!

Remember, all human beings are equal
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2009
Spyker:

Pageant here, pageant there, miss this, miss that. It has become funny.
Here in Port harcourt, we have seen different pageants like miss Oroworukwo, miss Oro-Abali.
The latest one (lwkmd) is miss Abali Motor Park. Chei, Miss Motor park.
No wonder every woman now can be miss something.
May be we can formulate our own.
Miss flat ass, miss big boobs, miss blake lips, miss ugly face e.t.c. grin

LWKMD grin grin grin
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Fhemmmy: 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
I am sure most of them will not come out.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by texazzpete(m): 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2009
The level of stupidity from most of the posters here is staggering.
Here we are trying to curb the stigma associated with HIV positive people and people are here chortling in self-righteous glee.
You people should grow up and move into the modern age. Imagine people comparing HIV victims to armed robbers.
90% of you morons will identify yourselves as Christians and go to church on Sunday. Where's the charity and love associated with your faith?
No wonder the likes of Helen Ukpabio and her child 'witch' killing crew flourish in this country.

PS: And before any of you numbnuts get all kiddie on me, no, i am not HIV positive. I'm just an indignant Nigerian who firmly believes in the 'live and let live' policy.

1 Like

Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Princek12(m): 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2009
This pageant has my stamp of approval since it is designed to obliterate the stigma associated with persons living with HIV. Comparing a HIV+ person to an armed robber is tantamount to comparing a person infected with, say cancer, to a criminal. May the Lord forgive such persons making those erroneous comparisons, and I pray that they, or a member of their family, never become infected with HIV.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 6:49pm On Oct 22, 2009
Princek12:

This pageant has my stamp of approval since it is designed to obliterate the stigma associated with persons living with HIV. Comparing a HIV+ person to an armed robber is tantamount to comparing a person infected with, say cancer, to a criminal. May the Lord forgive such persons making those erroneous comparisons, and I pray that they, or a member of their family, never become infected with HIV.

The question is: Will it do it or will it subject the patients and their respective families to more ridicule from the populace?. The stigma can be stamped out through incessant media campaigns and it will take some time. Even in the western world, HIV patients still have some stigma attached to them. It's a continuous process and may not be affected by a mere beauty pageantry.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by agathamari(f): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2009
clomn:

INTERESTING!!!!!

HOPE THIS WILL NOT MOTIVATE PEOPLE TO SEE AIDS AS NOTHING SINCE PRIZES AND RECOGNITION IS ABOUT COMING OUT OF IT. LMAO
could end up biting people in the ass by making that go too far.  as in why protect myself agaist it.  its like a pagent for pregnant teens leading to an increase of teenage pregnancy
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2009
will the event hold? i doubt undecided
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 7:04pm On Oct 22, 2009
agathamari:

could end up biting people in the ass by making that go too far.  as in why protect myself agaist it.  its like a pagent for pregnant teens leading to an increase of teenage pregnancy

You are right after all, the pageant for virgins last year did not lead to increase in virgins like they expected.

Remember the story here: http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/13/305.html
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2009
Poverty makes people make irrational decisions. I don't know what it has to do with all of this pageants and what not ?!

Wasn't Fela enough of an example to some Nigerians ?
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Rooneyboy(m): 7:22pm On Oct 22, 2009
Proud HIV positive citizens.Lol
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Homonide: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2009
Simply Amazing. i just hope this wouldn't come back to haunt the contestants in da long run.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Fhemmmy: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2009
Homonide:

Simply Amazing. i just hope this wouldn't come back to haunt the contestants in da long run.

Ofcourse, will come back and hunt them in the rear
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by browncocos(f): 7:59pm On Oct 22, 2009
oyb:

this will wind up being the most honest pageant in the history of Nigeria - if it works out - the judges will be too scared to chook the contestants grin

LWKMD
ure crazy i swear
but you have a point there
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:00pm On Oct 22, 2009
[img]http://videojournalist.nl/MissenBreed.jpg[/img]

miss hiv stigma free[Botswana]
Kgalalelo Ntsepe is elected Miss HIV Stigma Free 2003 in the capital Gaborone. She is elected to prove that HIV positive people are equal members of society.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Fhemmmy: 8:01pm On Oct 22, 2009
browncocos:

LWKMD
ure crazy i swear
but you have a point there

i am sure that would have been taken cared of while selecting the judges.
Besides in year 2009, if someone still think they can be infected by shaking hands, they belongs to the zoo
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:02pm On Oct 22, 2009

Miss HIV contestant, Elizabeth Ramolale, wonders whether her costume for part of the competition is going to keep her dignity intact.

Mavis Kealeboga having her hair done in a beauty salon in Kasane, Botswana, in preparation for the big event later that night.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:04pm On Oct 22, 2009

Miss HIV Stigma Free 2007 Botswana. Tsheboto Thobolo on stage at the Miss HIV pageant.

Winner of the Miss HIV Stigma free 2007 contest, Maria Motse (centre) on stage at the end of the competition
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:05pm On Oct 22, 2009

Another contestant
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by koolchicco: 8:08pm On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Miss HIV Stigma Free 2007 Botswana. Tsheboto Thobolo on stage at the Miss HIV pageant.

Winner of the Miss HIV Stigma free 2007 contest, Maria Motse (centre) on stage at the end of the competition

Emeka,Emeka,Emeka, How many times did I call u?

Abeg no dey post Ojuju calabar 4 here and If I no fit sleep dis night na u cause am.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:08pm On Oct 22, 2009

Over the past two years, photographer Sönke C. Weiss traveled throughout the Congo and southern Africa, the region hardest hit by HIV/Aids. He wanted to find out about the women who have been affected by HIV/Aids there, who they are, what they think, how they deal with the Aids pandemic, how it affects their lives and their souls, and what the future holds for them.
Mr. Weiss found himself to be fascinated by the parallel existence of both frailty and courage in these women and struck by their kindness, love and passion for life. Nearly all of them had been infected by their husbands or longterm partners, yet he found grace and hope rather than the cynicism and bitterness he had expected. Mr. Weiss says: "I learned that they did not want to be defined by their disease, but by the life they still hoped for and by their relationships to others as daughters, sisters, friends, mothers and wives."
He does not see these women as victims; for him they are heroines. "Each day they fight against an invisible virus and the painful stigma often associated with it. They endure their suffering for the sake of their children, families and communities. Many experience sorrow; others find solidarity. But they all share a beauty and a bravery that I have yet to see duplicated elsewhere", Mr. Weiss says. The photographer believes that their stories exemplify the experience of countless other women around the world living with HIV/Aids. He hopes that his work does them justice.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
koolchicco:

Emeka,Emeka,Emeka, How many times did I call u?

Abeg no dey post Ojuju calabar 4 here and If I no fit sleep dis night na u cause am.

You never see Ojoju sef.

"My husband infected me with the virus. I am sure of it. Nobody else has ever touched me. After I tested positive, he left. He's not very far away from here. I know that. I also know that he has many girlfriends. All men do. That's what they are good at. Nothing else. When a man decides to disappear, you can't force him to come back. Ever. I don't like men anymore."

"I was raped in Soweto. The township where I live. When I reported it to the police the officer didn't believe me. He said: `You are fat. Nobody rapes a fat girl like you.' But that's how I got the virus. At first I wanted to kill myself, but then I learned how to fight the pain inside of me. My family is supporting me. Without them I couldn't survive. I am very lucky to have my parents, my sisters and brothers. Today I counsel women who were raped too - who are HIV positive because of a crime against them. There are so many of us."

South Africa: Kefilwe Ndaba, 30.

http://allafrica.com/photoessay/womenaids/photo3.html#photo
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:13pm On Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the pictures. I guess the pilot program has been tested elsewhere.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2009
These people are very stupid. I just hope this stupidness does not encourage/stimulate an increase of HIV rates.

HIV [i]is [/i]a bleeping taboo. Stop denying it.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Oct 22, 2009
FL Gators:

These people are very stupid. I just hope this stupidness does not encourage/stimulate an increase of HIV rates.

HIV [i]is [/i]a bleeping taboo. Stop denying it.

That wasnt nice.
They were telling their stories and i think it is possible.
Re: Miss Hiv Positive Beauty Pageant Begins Nov 23 by AloyEmeka6: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
FL Gators:

HIV is [/i]a bleeping taboo. Stop denying it.

HIV is not a taboo, it's an illness and many victims did not ask for it. Show them some respect because it can happen to any of us.

[i]"I was raped in Soweto. The township where I live. When I reported it to the police the officer didn't believe me. He said: `You are fat. Nobody rapes a fat girl like you.' But that's how I got the virus. At first I wanted to kill myself, but then I learned how to fight the pain inside of me. My family is supporting me. Without them I couldn't survive. I am very lucky to have my parents, my sisters and brothers. Today I counsel women who were raped too - who are HIV positive because of a crime against them. There are so many of us."

South Africa: Kefilwe Ndaba, 30.

http://allafrica.com/photoessay/womenaids/photo3.html#photo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boy Pregnant His Mother / Cohabitation: A Recipe For Successful Marriage - Live Debate - Group B / Update on : Has My Wife Finally Moved On

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.