Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,582 members, 7,934,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 12:43 PM

Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince (10070 Views)

Prince Nathaniel Osayande Dies In Accident Days To His Coronation / Lagos Declares Thursday Work Free Day For Buhari's Visit / Fayose Declares Thursday Half-working Day To Welcome Freed Finance Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Abbeyme: 8:50am On Oct 19, 2016
grin cheesy

sheedy407:

You cant compare Oba of Benin to Oba Of Lagos

Neither would we compare Lagos to Edo State
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 19, 2016
Abbeyme:
Without prejudice.

This is an event that would take place in one city, Benin City, and the whole of Edo State gets an holiday..

For what exactly, to make people available for the event. Or make the day Sancrosant.

When Queen Elizabeth was crowned, was there an holiday?
Here in Lagos, the commercial, economic and traffic capital of Nigeria, you may not even now when the Oba of Lagos is crowned.

No offence meant!

I just feel we have too many holidays in Nigeria.
You can't compare Benin coronation to Lagos na.

Oga, na Oba of Benin we dey talk for here.

5 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 19, 2016
sheedy407:

As in how? Say oba of Bini get level or wetin
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Okluv2013: 9:02am On Oct 19, 2016
Edo is not like every other tribes that has lost their cultural value, I love my state because they still maintain the natural value. Long live the king iyare hayoooo

3 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Icon4s(m): 9:06am On Oct 19, 2016
Owomika means my hand has struck it also in Yoruba.

Bini and Yoruba have a common history truely.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by javispj(m): 9:07am On Oct 19, 2016
Long live our king.the eyes of the gods .the great OBA OF BENIN ....OBA atopeye "Iseee "

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by jide219(m): 9:09am On Oct 19, 2016
All south west obas ,northern emirs and eastern obi put togeda nor reach the feet of this crown prince,Benin oba toh bad.the only ruler that pass him is Jesus Christ.
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Angelyna(f): 9:13am On Oct 19, 2016
Isee!
martineinstein:
iyare iyare!!! IYare!!!
Oba agha t'okpe e!.....ise!
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by javispj(m): 9:14am On Oct 19, 2016
asuustrike2009:

If u like find out,,just take a trip to Benin n repeat this statement...

3 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by javispj(m): 9:18am On Oct 19, 2016
Abbeyme:
grin cheesy

Neither would we compare Lagos to Edo State
The name eko was given to lagos by which people?

2 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Ubenedictus(m): 9:21am On Oct 19, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Oba of lagos isnt near the oba of benin in rank, he is simply a vassal.

4 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Oba of lagos isnt near the oba of benin in rank, he is simply a vassal.
I see so cos of mere coronation the whole state should go on holiday. The irony of it is that federal staff are exempted from the holiday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by javispj(m): 9:36am On Oct 19, 2016
Benin Empire
Edo
1180–1897

The extent of Benin in 1625
Capital Benin City (then called Edo)
Languages Beninian
Government Monarchy
King/Emperor (Oba)
• 1180–1246 Eweka I [1]
• 1440–1473 Ewuare (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire
Ovonramwen (exile 1897)
• 1978–2016 Erediauwa I (post-imperial)
• 2016- Erediauwa II (post-imperial)
History
• Established 1180
• Annexed by the United Kingdom 1897
Area
• 1625 90,000 km² (34,749 sq mi)
Preceded by Succeeded by
Igodomigodo
Southern Nigeria Protectorate
Today part of Nigeria
The Benin Empire was a pre-colonial empire located in what is now southern Nigeria. Its capital was Edo, now known as Benin City, Edothian. It should not be confused with the modern-day country called Benin, formerly called Dahomey. The Benin Empire was "one of the oldest and most highly developed states in the coastal hinterland of West Africa, dating perhaps to the eleventh century CE",[2] until it was annexed by the British Empire in 1897.

The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan later become Izoduwa or Oduduwa the first Oni in uhe (ile ife). Oranmiyan, grand son of Oduduwa took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo is a "Bini spoken language all the Kings title in Southerner are Edo Language."

By the 15th century, Edo as a system of protected settlements expanded into a thriving city-state. In the 15th century, the twelfth Oba in line, Oba Ewuare the Great (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire.

It was not until the 15th century during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great that the kingdom's administrative centre, the city Ubinu, began to be known as Benin City by the Portuguese, and would later be adopted by the locals as well. Before then, due to the pronounced ethnic diversity at the kingdom's headquarters during the 15th century from the successes of Oba Ewuare, the earlier name ('Ubinu') by a tribe of the Edos was colloquially spoken as "Bini" by the mix of Itsekhiri, Esan, Ika, Ijaw Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese would write this down as Benin City. Though, farther Edo clans, such as the Itsekiris and the Urhobos still referred to the city as Ubini up till the late 19th century, as evidence implies.

Aside from Benin City, the system of rule of the Oba in his kingdom, even through the golden age of the kingdom, was still loosely based after the Ogiso dynasty, which was military and royal protection in exchange of use of resources and implementation of taxes paid to the royal administrative centre. Language and culture was not enforced but remained heterogeneous and localized according to each group within the kingdom, though a local "Enogie" (duke) was often appointed by the Oba for specified ethnic areas.

4 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by legacyint: 9:41am On Oct 19, 2016
sheedy407:

There is no point joining issues with little children who doesn't know anything, benin kingdom is a kingdom were the king is truly king.no be all dose cash and carry monarch for oda clans wen some magots dey yan about,,,,,,,
OBA GHA TOO OKPERE.ISE!!¡!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by legacyint: 9:47am On Oct 19, 2016
jide219:
All south west obas ,northern emirs and eastern obi put togeda nor reach the feet of this crown prince,Benin oba toh
bad.the only ruler that pass him is Jesus Christ.
True talk my brother na your papa born you one bottle of gulder for u.oba of benin na d heighest even queen Elizabeth attest to this fact.i no dey use my oba play wit anynody oo.
...Typing from the ancient city of benin!!!!
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by jide219(m): 9:49am On Oct 19, 2016
legacyint:

True talk my brother na your papa born you one bottle of gulder for u.oba of benin na d heighest even queen Elizabeth attest to this fact.i no dey use my oba play wit anynody oo.
same with me oo,I dae oluku,shey u know the place
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Godstraight(m): 9:53am On Oct 19, 2016
jide219:
All south west obas ,northern emirs and eastern obi put togeda nor reach the feet of this crown prince,Benin oba toh bad.the only ruler that pass him is Jesus Christ.
Bleep Jesus Christ,f*vk the Jewish cunt
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Ubenedictus(m): 9:54am On Oct 19, 2016
asuustrike2009:

I see so cos of mere coronation the whole state should go on holiday. The irony of it is that federal staff are exempted from the holiday
For edo it isnt a mere coronation, it is a very important once in a life time event in edo.
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by legacyint: 9:54am On Oct 19, 2016
jide219:
All south west obas ,northern emirs and eastern obi put togeda nor reach the feet of this crown prince,Benin oba toh
bad.the only ruler that pass him is Jesus Christ.
True talk my brother na your papa born one bottle of gulder for u.oba of benin na d heighest even queen Elizabeth attest to this fact.i no dey use my oba play wit anynody oo.
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by legacyint: 10:03am On Oct 19, 2016
jide219:
same with me oo,I dae oluku,shey u know the place
Sure i know am na me dey the place gon gon were e dey happen,am from the benin royal family.
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by jide219(m): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2016
Godgay:
Bleep Jesus Christ,f*vk the Jewish cunt
guy your hell will be hotter than Lucifer's own
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by playerinc(m): 10:06am On Oct 19, 2016
Oba agha t'okpe e!.....ise!
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 19, 2016
MadCow1:
Happy Wedding Anniversary to the Oba..

gringrin
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Sorenza: 10:26am On Oct 19, 2016
That is because you don't value your culture here. I am not Benin but Esan but we respect the Oba of Benin in Edo State and take this coronation as very important that the whole of Edo state and beyond are involved.

Oba gha tokpe e, Ise.

Abbeyme:
Without prejudice.

This is an event that would take place in one city, Benin City, and the whole of Edo State gets an holiday..

For what exactly, to make people available for the event. Or make the day Sancrosant.

When Queen Elizabeth was crowned, was there an holiday?
Here in Lagos, the commercial, economic and traffic capital of Nigeria, you may not even now when the Oba of Lagos is crowned.

No offence meant!

I just feel we have too many holidays in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Abbeyme: 10:29am On Oct 19, 2016
javispj:

The name eko was given to lagos by which people?

You tell me, bro
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by eghexs76: 10:42am On Oct 19, 2016
You are very stupid for that comment
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by AUcom66(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2016
Every now and then is public holiday, after same government will close firms nd businesses over tax eviction.
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by locosis007(m): 11:36am On Oct 19, 2016
javispj:
Benin Empire
Edo
1180–1897

The extent of Benin in 1625
Capital Benin City (then called Edo)
Languages Beninian
Government Monarchy
King/Emperor (Oba)
• 1180–1246 Eweka I [1]
• 1440–1473 Ewuare (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire
Ovonramwen (exile 1897)
• 1978–2016 Erediauwa I (post-imperial)
• 2016- Erediauwa II (post-imperial)
History
• Established 1180
• Annexed by the United Kingdom 1897
Area
• 1625 90,000 km² (34,749 sq mi)
Preceded by Succeeded by
Igodomigodo
Southern Nigeria Protectorate
Today part of Nigeria
The Benin Empire was a pre-colonial empire located in what is now southern Nigeria. Its capital was Edo, now known as Benin City, Edothian. It should not be confused with the modern-day country called Benin, formerly called Dahomey. The Benin Empire was "one of the oldest and most highly developed states in the coastal hinterland of West Africa, dating perhaps to the eleventh century CE",[2] until it was annexed by the British Empire in 1897.

The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan later become Izoduwa or Oduduwa the first Oni in uhe (ile ife). Oranmiyan, grand son of Oduduwa took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo is a "Bini spoken language all the Kings title in Southerner are Edo Language."

By the 15th century, Edo as a system of protected settlements expanded into a thriving city-state. In the 15th century, the twelfth Oba in line, Oba Ewuare the Great (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire.

It was not until the 15th century during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great that the kingdom's administrative centre, the city Ubinu, began to be known as Benin City by the Portuguese, and would later be adopted by the locals as well. Before then, due to the pronounced ethnic diversity at the kingdom's headquarters during the 15th century from the successes of Oba Ewuare, the earlier name ('Ubinu') by a tribe of the Edos was colloquially spoken as "Bini" by the mix of Itsekhiri, Esan, Ika, Ijaw Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese would write this down as Benin City. Though, farther Edo clans, such as the Itsekiris and the Urhobos still referred to the city as Ubini up till the late 19th century, as evidence implies.

Aside from Benin City, the system of rule of the Oba in his kingdom, even through the golden age of the kingdom, was still loosely based after the Ogiso dynasty, which was military and royal protection in exchange of use of resources and implementation of taxes paid to the royal administrative centre. Language and culture was not enforced but remained heterogeneous and localized according to each group within the kingdom, though a local "Enogie" (duke) was often appointed by the Oba for specified ethnic areas.

nice
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by MabraO: 12:20pm On Oct 19, 2016
I love Bini history

Bini boi to the core
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by javispj(m): 12:33pm On Oct 19, 2016
Abbeyme:

You tell me, bro
Go n ask ur daddy.that is if he knows history.or better yet Google
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by mickool(m): 3:04pm On Oct 19, 2016
Oba ghato kpere iseee.....

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by soonest(f): 8:15am On Oct 20, 2016
Abbeyme:

please I need to make this clear. Never compare Oba of Lagos with the Omo no Oba . Oba of Lagos no be im mate abeg.
Meanwhile, Oba gha to kpee, iseeee

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Butt Implants; See Photos Of Awful Celebrity Pumped Backsides / What Is Nairaland All About? / Wema SME Business School:Edo State SMEs This Is For You. FREE! Register For Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.