Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,505 members, 7,926,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 04:15 PM

Vitamin D Aids Weight Loss? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Vitamin D Aids Weight Loss? (725 Views)

5 Things You Should Know About Vitamin D Deficiency / Urgent Need Injection IM Vitamin D 600,000 I.U-1 dosage and IM Vitamin A 50,000 / Weight Loss/gain For Ladies Trying To Conceive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vitamin D Aids Weight Loss? by maritalman(m): 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2009
You gotta look at the sources - are they trying to sell you something? Or are they legit studies?

There's ONE study of only 38 people that shows *some* correlation between vitamin D deficiency and obesity. But correlation is not causation and even the study concludes that much more research and proper clinical trials are needed before anyone can say that taking more vitamin D will aid in weight loss. They also don't know if VitD deficiency is contributing to obesity or if it's the other way around and the obesity contributes to a VitD deficiency.

However, people want quick fixes, so this study has been used in a zillion websites to declare "Vitamin D aids weight loss". It appeals to people who want a quick fix or a magic bullet.

The only long term clinical study I know of that shows weight benefits to Vitamin D is one that was done on post-menopausal women and involves VitD, calcium, and tracking weight gain. The study says that adding VitD can slow weight gain in post menopausal women - not that it causes weight loss.

So again , don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Then go and research.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get Rid Of My Back Pimples? / What Wuld U Do / Man Of Steel : Are You Impotent ? Then Im Insane ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.