Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,851 members, 7,872,843 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child (1258 Views)

Jephtah And His Sacrifice. Did He Really Do It / Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child / Why Did God Let My Mum Die Despite Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by jonbellion(m): 8:16am On Oct 21, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm
My guess is he never really got over issac.. You know pranking Abraham and all. He didn't even seem to give a Bleep about the psychological trauma issac would have gone through from almost been killed by his own father... Nope that wasn't the case for Yahweh. In the movie neighbours the kid put a condom in her mouth and when her parents rushed her to the hospital the doctor was like "your daughter has AIDS"......waiting for it to get to the parents and then said "is how bad this could have been" before the mother said " who the Bleep does that to a couple of parents!!!!!!!" and wanting to strangle the doctor for scaring them like that
Pause......
Who does that to parents and children...hmmmm apparently Yahweh
Aaannyway he didn't get over that narrow escape so when jeptahs daughter came out to greet him first after his vow to God he had no choice
But wait he did... Why? Cuz he's God!! He could have been like "dude don't worry chill just find a cow somewhere or something you don't have to sacrifice your kid!" But he didn't. Yahweh nawa shaaaa she went away to mourn for sometime cuz she was still a virgin and STILL Yahweh didn't change his mind. Hmmmmmmm. But this still wasn't enough for him. He then sent his own innocent kid(that is also him) *facepalm* to be the ultimate sacrifice for sins he didn't commit and for sins for people weren't born yet... Oooh sure cuz that makes a lot of fucking sense. Citizens in north Korea are punished for crimes as far back as thier great grandparents that's bad. But when Yahweh does it it's okay and his own sef it's as far back as Adam and eve * sigh*
Christianity: A religion that broke out of Judaism and then rolled down like an avalanche and carried a lot of pagan holidays and rituals along it's roll

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by malvisguy212: 9:58am On Oct 21, 2016
The bible NEVER say Jephtah sacrifice his daughter or kill her, in fact we are told she went up to the mountain to weep for her virginity for 2 month:

Judges 11:37-38
And she said to her father, “Let this thing be
done for me; let me alone TWO months, that
I may go to the mountains and weep
because of my virginity, I and my companions.” Then he said, “Go.” So he sent her away for two months; and she left with her COMPANION and wept on the mountains because of her virginity.

If she was to be sacrifice, why will she spend her last two month with her friends and not her family ? She cried because she was going to be a virgin the rest of her life. Third, after she had cried for two months she returns to her father to complete the vow.

Judges 11:39
And it came about at the end of two months
that she returned to her father, who did to
her according to the vow which he had
made; and she had no relations with a man.
Thus it became a custom in Israel, that the
daughters of Israel went yearly to
commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the
Gileadite four days in the year.

The sacrifice was her perpetual
virginity. If she was sacrificed, why not say so?
The best way to understand this passage is that she was dedicated to the Lord. She would not marry a man nor would she have children. She would remain a virgin and devote her life to God’s service. same way the virgins in Number 31 were to be dedicated to God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by analice107: 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
malvisguy212:
The bible NEVER say Jephtah sacrifice his daughter or kill her, in fact we are told she went up to the mountain to weep for her virginity for 2 month:

because of my virginity, I and my companions.” Then he said, “Go.” So he sent her away for two months; and she left with her COMPANION and wept on the mountains because of her virginity.

If she was to be sacrifice, why will she spend her last two month with her friends and not her family ? She cried because she was going to be a virgin the rest of her life. Third, after she had cried for two months she returns to her father to complete the vow.

The best way to understand this passage is that she was dedicated to the Lord. She would not marry a man nor would she have children. She would remain a virgin and devote her life to God’s service. same way the virgins in Number 31 were to be dedicated to God.
Pls sir, do not fan this person's flames. let him be. There's no amount of light you shed will suffice him. The more you do the more he will have room to malign Our God, so let him be.
God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by analice107: 12:35pm On Oct 21, 2016
@Ops, i have alot to say to you, but wouldn't, you don't need it.
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2016
malvisguy212:

I doubt you know what you're talking about

Let's examine the verses, shall we?

I'll be quoting from KJV

Judges 11:31

"Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering."

Take note of the bolded because it'll be referenced later

Vs34

And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Vs36

And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

Take note of this bolded too

Vs39

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed

All the bewailing has next to nothing to do with this

1 he promised to offer whatever comes out to meet him as BURNT OFFERING

2 she said Jephthah should do what he vowed

2 His father DID TO HER ACCORDING TO HIS VOW WHICH HE HAD VOWED

scholars who found the story hard to swallow simply started using bewailing and lamentation as a copout and you're regurgitating the same thing

6 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by QuietHammer(m): 1:47pm On Oct 21, 2016
malvisguy212:

Ha! Christian!

5 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by waldigit: 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2016
jonbellion:
Hmmmmmmmm
My guess is he never really got over issac.. You know pranking Abraham and all. He didn't even seem to give a Bleep about the psychological trauma issac would have gone through from almost been killed by his own father... Nope that wasn't the case for Yahweh. In the movie neighbours the kid put a condom in her mouth and when her parents rushed her to the hospital the doctor was like "your daughter has AIDS"......waiting for it to get to the parents and then said "is how bad this could have been" before the mother said " who the Bleep does that to a couple of parents!!!!!!!" and wanting to strangle the doctor for scaring them like that
Pause......
Aaannyway he didn't get over that narrow escape so when jeptahs daughter came out to greet him first after his vow to God he had no choice
But wait he did... Why? Cuz he's God!! He could have been like "dude don't worry chill just find a cow somewhere or something you don't have to sacrifice your kid!" But he didn't. Yahweh nawa shaaaa she went away to mourn for sometime cuz she was still a virgin and STILL Yahweh didn't change his mind. Hmmmmmmm. But this still wasn't enough for him. He then sent his own innocent kid(that is also him) *facepalm* to be the ultimate sacrifice for sins he didn't commit and for sins for people weren't born yet... Oooh sure cuz that makes a lot of fucking sense. Citizens in north Korea are punished for crimes as far back as thier great grandparents that's bad. But when Yahweh does it it's okay and his own sef it's as far back as Adam and eve * sigh*
Christianity: A religion that broke out of Judaism and then rolled down like an avalanche and carried a lot of pagan holidays and rituals along it's roll

Our God is so great that He doesn't need anybody advocacy for excuses.
If deep findings are conducted it shall be revealed that such things happen when the foundation is faulty. A seed of sin involving shedding of blood in the lineage of Jeptah could have sown, and it was time for sin visitation.
Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by malvisguy212: 4:53pm On Oct 21, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I doubt you know what you're talking about

Let's examine the verses, shall we?

I'll be quoting from KJV

Judges 11:31

"Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering."

Take note of the bolded because it'll be referenced later

Vs34

And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Vs36

And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

Take note of this bolded too

Vs39

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed

All the bewailing has next to nothing to do with this

1 he promised to offer whatever comes out to meet him as BURNT OFFERING

2 she said Jephthah should do what he vowed

2 His father DID TO HER ACCORDING TO HIS VOW WHICH HE HAD VOWED

scholars who found the story hard to swallow simply started using bewailing and lamentation as a copout and you're regurgitating the same thing
I doubt you know what you quote, why did she wept for her virginity ? Did the passage say she was sacrifice ?
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
malvisguy212:
I doubt you know what you quote, why did she wept for her virginity ? Did the passage say she was sacrifice ?

I don't know what I quoted despite showing you from the same book you've read the most

What has bewailing virginity got to do with it?

1 he made a vow

2 he was sad when his daughter came out to greet him

3 daughter says he should do to her as he had vowed

4 and he did to her as he vowed

Question: what was the vow?

Your intellectually dishonest question of asking where the bible said he killed her shows you're tryna wish this away just like some Christian apologists websites

He did to her as he vowed is as clear as day, the Bible doesn't need to mention it verbatim

8 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by malvisguy212: 5:10pm On Oct 21, 2016
QuietHammer:

Ha! Christian!
She did not wept for her death, but instead, for her VIRGINITY, why ? Does it look like someone who is about to die ? After the two month. The rendering in judges 11 does not suggest Jephthah had in mind a literal sacrifice, but a lifetime of devotion at the Tabernacle, similar to the devotion of Samuel and to the devotion of other women (1 Samuel 1:11, 24; Exodus 38:cool. Why would Jephthah's daughter weep because she would never marry, and not rather because she would die?

1 Like

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Pidggin(f): 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2016
How can an athiest understand the dangers inherent in making vows to God, he himself says if you make a vow you must fulfill it. Did Abraham make a vow to sacrifice Isaac? mtcheww
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 6:22pm On Oct 21, 2016
QuietHammer:

Ha! Christian!

Don't be surprised bro, they lie and twist words for their god

3 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by alchemist13: 6:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
malvisguy212:

Right. So you are using child slavery (and possibly sex slavery) to alleviate human sacrifice. #MakesSense undecided
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by jonbellion(m): 10:51am On Oct 22, 2016
Pidggin:
How can an athiest understand the dangers inherent in making vows to God, he himself says if you make a vow you must fulfill it. Did Abraham make a vow to sacrifice Isaac? mtcheww
lol no he didn't but God told him to test his faith I hope if you hear a voice like that in your head you won't take it as God and sacrifice your kid or better still I hope you'll realise that the voice in your head is not God and you'll outgrow the need of an imaginary friend
I honestly do smiley
I'm agnostic btw but athiest towards the Judeo christian god cuz he is made up
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Pidggin(f): 11:02am On Oct 22, 2016
jonbellion:
lol no he didn't but God told him to test his faith I hope if you hear a voice like that in your head you won't take it as God and sacrifice your kid or better still I hope you'll realise that the voice in your head is not God and you'll outgrow the need of an imaginary friend
I honestly do smiley
I'm agnostic btw but athiest towards the Judeo christian god cuz he is made up

Jephthah promised the Lord:"If you will give me victory over the Ammonites, I will burn as an offering the first person that comes out of my house to meet me, when I come back from victory. I will offer that person to you as a sacrifice "Judges 11:29 - 32

A vow to God is binding. Several verses in the scriptures warns against making it if you aren't ready to fulfill as it is binding

1 Like

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 11:09am On Oct 22, 2016
Pidggin:

Jephthah promised the Lord:"If you will give me victory over the Ammonites, I will burn as an offering the first person that comes out of my house to meet me, when I come back from victory. I will offer that person to you as a sacrifice "Judges 11:29 - 32

A vow to God is binding. Several verses in the scriptures warns against making it if you aren't ready to fulfill as it is binding

your brother Malvisguy212 meanwhile is adamant that Jephthah didn't burn his only daughter

do you agree or disagree?

why?
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by jonbellion(m): 11:15am On Oct 22, 2016
Pidggin:

hmmm but he could have made an exception na is he not God he would have told him to sacrifice something else

1 Like

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Pidggin(f): 11:15am On Oct 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

your brother Malvisguy212 meanwhile is adamant that Jephthah didn't burn his only daughter

do you agree or disagree?

why?

"After two months she came back to her father. He did what he had promised the Lord and she died still a virgin " Judges 11:39

But do you believe this scripture I quoted? I ask because you don't believe God is real so I don't see the point of this
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 11:18am On Oct 22, 2016
Pidggin:

"After two months she came back to her father. He did what he had promised the Lord and she died still a virgin " Judges 11:39

But do you believe this scripture I quoted? I ask because you don't believe God is real so I don't see the point of this

what I believe has got nothing to do with it

you don't have to believe Harry Potter is real to discuss Lord Voldemort

you comprehend?

now to the verse, that is exactly what I quoted to your brother who wouldn't accept it

3 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Pidggin(f): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2016
jonbellion:
hmmm but he could have made an exception na is he not God he would have told him to sacrifice something else

Who did he want to sacrifice in the first place, another person's offspring? What happened to rams and goats that others were sacrificing before him, this should be a lesson to all.

2 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Pidggin(f): 11:23am On Oct 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

what I believe has got nothing to do with it

you don't have to believe Harry Potter is real to discuss Lord Voldemort

you comprehend?

now to the verse, that is exactly what I quoted to your brother who wouldn't accept it

My brother doesn't feel you should be the one explaining scriptures to him
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by JhyMedex: 4:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
Pidggin:
U fail to understand dt some of dis Atheist were once very strong Bible xtians...
Be careful tryna claim a kinda monopoly of knowledge ova dem...

2 Likes

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by alchemist13: 6:53pm On Oct 23, 2016
It is clear from the passage that Jephthah fulfilled his vow by offering his daughter as a burnt offering to Yahweh.

Before one can make sense of this passage, one must understand:
1. the role human sacrifice played in ancient warfare
2. The historical development of the old testament.

But first, let is look at the passage in question.
Judges 11:29: Then the Spirit of the Lord was upon Jephthah... It is clear that Jephthah was guided by the 'Spirit of the Lord', so he was not just some kind of rouge or bad man as some have characterized him. He vow was not as rash as some might think.

Judges 11:30: And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord... Making a vow to one's god in other to secure victory in battle is a common feature of ANE warfare.
To be continued...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 8:11am On Nov 30, 2016
alchemist13:
It is clear from the passage that Jephthah fulfilled his vow by offering his daughter as a burnt offering to Yahweh.
Before one can make sense of this passage, one must understand:
1. the role human sacrifice played in ancient warfare
2. The historical development of the old testament.
But first, let is look at the passage in question.
Judges 11:29: Then the Spirit of the Lord was upon Jephthah... It is clear that Jephthah was guided by the 'Spirit of the Lord', so he was not just some kind of rouge or bad man as some have characterized him. He vow was not as rash as some might think.
Judges 11:30: And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord... Making a vow to one's god in other to secure victory in battle is a common feature of ANE warfare.
To be continued...

oga, continue now, over one month already
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by hopefulLandlord: 7:06am On Dec 06, 2016
alchemist13
where you?
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by mumumugu(m): 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2016
jonbellion:
Hmmmmmmmm
Pause......

calm down. God wanted to but em,em,you see he wanted to, he was distracted and forgot or pd angel he sent to deliver the ram was stil fighting with jacob
Re: So Why Did The Abrahanic God Let Jephtah Sacrifce His Child by Niflheim(m): 7:43pm On Feb 09, 2017
@jonbellion,

Who needs Satan when you have a god like Yahweh?!!! All the sErial killers in the world combined(BOTH PAST AND PRESENT), can never reach the mind boggling statistics of dead bodies that yahweh leaves in his wake!!! With all that slicing and cutting and carving and roasting.................................................YOU WOULD THINK THAT THE BIBLE WERE A COOKBOOK!!!

(1) (Reply)

Is God Really The One Who Sends Rain To The Earth? / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo's Shoes Got People Talking About / MM Praise 2018 -How To Download Or Watch Live 76hourspraise Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.