Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,836 members, 7,915,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:47 PM

Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 (21997 Views)

The January 1966 Coup Was Not An Igbo Coup- Zikistmovement.com / Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Buhari's 1983 Coup Was To Derail Igbo Presidency - Ezeife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by datribune: 11:00pm On Oct 24, 2016
Igboid:

Just imagine this level of Zombeism?

Dude, get urself informed. Don’t suffer fools or you’ll become one.
dis interview is one of d greatest misinformations. It's an attempt to rewrite history & paint individuals who belong to d footnote of Nigerian history as heroes. Try & learn about d ruinous contributions of dis individuals & what they did to our dear country. Characters like Shagari, Ekwueme, Umaru Dikko, Akinloye, Akinjide, Joseph Wayas, Olusola Saraki, Sabo Barkin-zuwo etc. Ekwueme & his colleagues who through massive corruption, brought our country to its knees during those difficult days should at least feel some remorse & thank God we did not have a Jerry Rawlins. Ekwueme is deluding himself if he thought back then, after d NPN's total clean-out of d Nigerian treasury, d country could hav survived for more than a few months without our own version of "Arab Spring".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by bi0nics: 11:02pm On Oct 24, 2016
Igboid:

An Afonja, I guess.

I still don't understand the reason why he was silent until now.. Kinda strange.
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by redcliff: 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2016
Na this kine interview them dey off data read... shi.t long as f
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by honor4me: 11:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
Smooth278:

seems you are mistaking Buhari and idiagbon's regime for Shagari and Ekwueme's ... all this things you have listed all took place during the first coming of Buhari...
My brother, he wasn't telling lies. I was in my mid 50s now but the country was terrible then. I was very young but I voted for NPN. However, power got into the heads of our leaders and they were behaving as they liked. Nonetheless, I wept the day they were overthrown even though almost all the country was in jubilation.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by datribune: 11:31pm On Oct 24, 2016
Smooth278:

seems you are mistaking Buhari and idiagbon's regime for Shagari and Ekwueme's ... all this things you have listed all took place during the first coming of Buhari...

No, not at all. Buhari/Idiagbon regime was a corrective govt which stopped d rot of d thieving politicians whom Buhari eased out of power. d corruption people talked about in d last elections, pales in comparison to what happened under Shagari, who though personally incorrupt was weak & allowed his partymen a field day wit d treasury.
While d people groaned in hunger, d ruling NPN stalwarts hoarded food & essential commodities in warehouses. When d army took over, they threw d warehouses open & d people had some relief.
That's why people who knew how General Buhari, during his short stint in power decades earlier saved d economy frm d precipice yearned for his return & ensured his victory at d last polls.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 11:47pm On Oct 24, 2016
datribune:

Dude, get urself informed. Don’t suffer fools or you’ll become one.
dis interview is one of d greatest misinformations. It's an attempt to rewrite history & paint individuals who belong to d footnote of Nigerian history as heroes. Try & learn about d ruinous contributions of dis individuals & what they did to our dear country. Characters like Shagari, Ekwueme, Umaru Dikko, Akinloye, Akinjide, Joseph Wayas, Olusola Saraki, Sabo Barkin-zuwo etc. Ekwueme & his colleagues who through massive corruption, brought our country to its knees during those difficult days should at least feel some remorse & thank God we did not have a Jerry Rawlins. Ekwueme is deluding himself if he thought back then, after d NPN's total clean-out d Nigerian treasury, d country could hav survived for more than a few months without our own version of "Arab Spring".

This is the same Zombie talk that ushered incompetent Buhari into Aso Rock in 2015 again.

The ignorance of the average Nigerian is astronomical.

The civilian government came on board in 1979, and the global oil glut took place in 1980.

Prior to 1979, world oil prices had been on the high side, Gowon and his finance minister Awo squandered them all without any improvement in our infrastructures or external reserves, the oil crisis of 1973 caused by the Yom kippur war where the Arab nations placed oil embargo on Western nations mainly USA for their support of Israel during the war, raised global oil prices even more. But guess what, Gowon squandered them all and shared them amongst his cronies, the Yorubas that manned the various government parastatals also got their own share trickling in, but it wasn't enough, so they conspired and initiated the indigenization policy, which placed all the foreign companies in Yoruba hands.

And remember, oil prices was still at its global high during this period. Gowon continued his looting and embezzlement spree until he was booted out by Mutala Muhammad, who continued where Gowon stopped.

He ( Mutala) would even borrow more money in the name of building infrastructures, with stupidity that oil prices will remain at all time high for him to pay them back in the future.

Mutala was killed, OBJ came in,and the looting and borrowing spree amidst high global crude oil prices continued.
Now OBJ handed over to the civilian( Shagari) government in 1979, and bang! In 1980, the global oil glut happened. Crude oil prices came at all time low, (the problems of the middle East ie Iranian revolution and the Yom yippur war were over and the industrialized nations were having slow economic activity leading to decline in global oil demand).

Meanwhile, the military dictators( Gowon, Murtala and OBJ) left no substantial savings nor improved infrastructures during the oil boom of the 1970s, instead they left high amount of debts.

Add this to the fact that the Yorubas who bought off the public companies had all ran them to the ground and the public sector had almost collapsed.

So here are the problems the Shagari government faced:

1, Low crude oil income

2 Debts left over by the military dictators for the civilian leaders to service

3. Public sector not vibrant enough to cushion the effect of low oil prices.

4. No 3 led to high unemployment rate.

The end result was recession. So the hardship in the land became severe.
Yes the Shagari government officials were no saints, but the shout of corruption given as an excuse for Buhari and his bunch of psychopaths military men to nip our nascent democracy on the bud, was a hoax! Given that the military boys, were the ones that looted all our gains from the oil boom of the 70's.

Buhari himself failed to manage the recession and the down turn in the economic fortunes of the country, and ended up sending the country further into abyss.

11 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by micfoley: 11:51pm On Oct 24, 2016
Very interesting and educative. Chief Ekwueme is very knowledgeable and vastly experienced.
We should have more threads like these not only cleavage and snake threads

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Billygee2u: 12:17pm On Oct 25, 2016
EmoBoy:
And the man that toppled a civilian government in 1984 is now a civilian president in 2016. And Nigerians will always ask why the country is not moving forward.
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by murmee: 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2016
stronggman:
Until the needful is done Nigeria will forever remain in intensive care unit. Until we stop celebrating mediocrity ahead of merit, until we stop recycling expired,incompetent,illitrate old fools, until we do away with ethnic hatred, religious bigotry, until we allow an Igboman take charge of affairs of this country as president, the entity called Nigeria will never see the light of the day.
Goodluck Jonathan is to all intents and purposes an Ibo man. His Kitchen cabinet was all Ibo men and women, his very powerful wife is Ibo. My friend, see where we are with the unprecedented looting of the treasury in the history of Nigeria during his (Ibo) administration. You should be ashamed!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by AlphaCEO: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2021
Igboid:
•Restructure Nigeria for regions to develop at their own pace
•My take on revenue sharing formula •Dialogue with Niger Delta militants to increase oil production
•1983 coup was aimed at stopping me from becoming president
•Why I declined Obasanjo’s offer to be Senate President

Dr. Alex Ekwueme, served as Nigeria’s vice-president between October 1979 and December 1983 and played a pivotal role in the fight against military rule prior to 1999 having been chairman of the, G34, a political platform upon which the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP was formed. Lawyer, architect and statesman, Dr. Ekwueme who would be 84 later this month spoke to a team of Vanguard reporters in his Oko, Anambra State residence on the trajectory of Nigeria’s independence, the state of the nation and the fate of his party, the PDP which he served among others as its first chairman.

Excerpts:

Don’t you think that if you took the position that you would have been able to mobilise the Senate to counter whatever breaches to democratic tenets that Obasanjo was accused of?

I am not immodest, but I can say that anything I put my mind to do, I try and do it well. If I had accepted and became president of Senate, I would have made the legislature something Nigerians would be proud of. But I didn’t think it was right. I was vice-president for four years and three months and under our zoning system in the NPN. Chances were high that in 1987 that I might have been the candidate of the party for the presidency.

Umaru Dikko gave a press interview in London after the coup of December 31, 1983 that all the talk about corruption was just hogwash that the coup took place because they wanted to stop me from being president in 1987 and that they didn’t want to wait until it was too close that it would be too obvious.

But I know that early in December 1983 that the NPN (National Party of Nigeria) had its convention in Ibadan and President Shagari’s speech at that time was that the decision of the party to move the presidency of the country to the South was irreversible and that it was in the interest of Nigerian unity. That was part of his speech, and I think this was probably what triggered the December 31 coup according to Umaru Dikko in his press interview...

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/ekwuemes-recipe-better-nigeria/
Based on a "personal opinion"
of Umaru Dikko the fugitive.
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by LofP(m): 10:52am On Sep 25, 2021
This goes ahead to prove the narrative that a set of individuals a.k.a the Kaduna mafia have worked against the progress of Nigeria all along.

No wonder they wanted to kidnap Umaru Dikko.

Over 35 years later, a man who seemed to understand their game plan, Nnamdi Kanu, was abducted by the Nigerian government.

Is the pattern becoming clearer ?

The good thing is this interview was conducted in 2016.

Imagine how things have unravelled since 2016 with all the revelations in the open.

Now, you can understand why the former SGF from Adamawa, who awarded contracts to himself was exposed, and he asked "who is the presidency?".

Also remember recent claims of "the presidency" and different orders from the president.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Owhorkire Rhino: "Is APC A Cult Group?" Ex UNIPORT SUG President Asks / South East/south West Battle Over 2023 Presidency / Shehu Sani: What An Ex-Governor Said About State Police While In & Out Of Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.