Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,546 members, 7,929,772 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:20 PM

Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire (1148 Views)

Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / Osun Workers Declares Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salarie / MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by timbuktu1: 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2009
Nigeria’s main militant group the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta has declared an indefinite ceasefire after negotiations with the presidency.

In a press release signed by MEND spokesperson Jomo Gbomo, the group said that their leader Henry Okah conveyed a ‘welcome shift’ from the federal government after he met with President Yar’Adua on Tuesday.

According to the group, “government has expressed the readiness to engage in serious and meaningful dialogue with every group or individual towards achieving a lasting peace in the Niger Delta”

The group therefore declared an indefinite ceasefire from the 25th of January to enhance the dialogue between the government and the Aaron team which the group has selected to negotiate on behalf of MEND for peace in the oil rich region.

Quoting the bible verse of Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8, the group said that “there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven, a time to tear and a time to mend “ The group also announced the withdrawal of Annkio Briggs, the liason officer of the Aaron team from the team.

The exit of Ms Briggs was by mutual consent according to the release. She has been replaced by Amagbe Denzel Kentebe.

MEND had threatened to resumes its hostilities against the Nigerian oil industry and the Nigerian armed forces on October 16, 2009 after the expiration of a 60-day ceasefire declared on the 15th of July 2009.

Source
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
If its true,then its a good development
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by bestman09(m): 6:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
They have no choice if truly they are fighting for the development of the region as they claimed, xpecially now that they have been SETTLED individually grin. Wot is there to fight for anymore?
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by complove: 8:00pm On Oct 25, 2009
to join opc
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by semid4lyfe(m): 8:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
A welcome development. I just hope the Government can quickly come to an agreement with the Aaron team negotiating on behalf of MEND and face the serious business of developing the Niger Delta squarely.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Fhemmmy: 8:33pm On Oct 25, 2009
Time will tell if the ceasefire can be sustained, but still a good start.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 25, 2009
Is it an unconditional one or what?
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Obinoscopy(m): 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2009
The onus now lies on the Federal Government
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by deor03(m): 10:17pm On Oct 25, 2009
The ball is now in the court of the FG.

MEND has shown the FG what "civilians" are capable of doing, if promises are not kept
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Fhemmmy: 10:20pm On Oct 25, 2009
deor03:

The ball is now in the court of the FG.

MEND has shown the FG what "civilians" are capable of doing, if promises are not kept

and as the FG been able to keep a promise?
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by oyinda3(f): 1:29am On Oct 26, 2009
YAYYYY that's good news
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by puskin: 1:41am On Oct 26, 2009
Why this now!!
Just as I was bracing myself up 4d re-newed bombing activities. . .and now this.
MEND should have @least carried out some dynamite testing activity on one wellhead b4 announcing another cease-fire.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by oyinda3(f): 2:00am On Oct 26, 2009
^ enemy of progress tongue. God will not let u succeed on dat one.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by upuphim(m): 10:18am On Oct 26, 2009
This is a well come development. It is said 'don't start a fight because you don't know how it will end'. Since FG defined how it will end, I call upon MEND to stand by their word- Indefinite Cease Fire and allow peace in the Area. If there is a way to deal with all those stinkly rich men who converted money meant for Niger Delta Region, would be a nice idea.

Also, MEND should submit proposal plans to Oil Companies on various facilities they expect in the Region as FG may be slow in implementation of some infrastructural developments.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by KnowAll(m): 10:25am On Oct 26, 2009
Haleluyah,

Kudos to Yardull,

at least one agenda is out of the way remaining six.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by SkyBlue1: 10:30am On Oct 26, 2009
KnowAll:

Haleluyah,

Kudos to Yardull,

at least one agenda is out of the way remaining six.

No offence intended but I really don't get some people sometimes. How on earth is this a completion of an agenda? I bet if this man signs shows interest on proposals to build a power plant some people would see it as a completion of the "power agenda". The whole seven point agenda has been the most laughable piece of trite in a long time. What a joke
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by KnowAll(m): 10:35am On Oct 26, 2009
No offence intended but I really don't get some people sometimes. How on earth is this a completion of an agenda? I bet if this man signs shows interest on proposals to build a power plant that according to some would be completion of the power agenda, right?

No Offence list the 7 Agendas, I am sure security in the Niaja delta is one of them,  if I am not mistaking, If I was a then accept my apologies.

Secondly my statement is meant to be a sacastic statement which might end up been true.
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by Nezan(m): 10:43am On Oct 26, 2009
am tired of this MEND's 'I go do, I no go do stuff', another case please . . .
Re: Mend Declares Indefinite Ceasefire by chosen04(f): 11:30am On Oct 26, 2009
Nezan:

am tired of this MEND's 'I go do, I no go do stuff', another case please . . .

Its all about the game plan intended to put fear into ur enemy and make them act. MEND has also carried out most of their threats. For Yardull to accept to dialogue with AARON team after his initial refusal show that FG is afraid of continued hostility with MEND.

(1) (Reply)

One Point Agenda From Jonathan / Gov Amechi Builds 350 Model Schools In Rivers / Making Nigeria Great

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.