Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,340 members, 7,881,249 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:10 PM

President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan (1056 Views)

APC Begs Senate To Approve Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request / Presidency Reacts To Senate’s Rejection Of Buhari’s Plan To Borrow $30bn / Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by NaijaFutbol: 10:13pm On Oct 25, 2016

By Camillus Eboh

ABUJA, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has asked parliament to approve $30 billion of foreign borrowing to fund planned infrastructure projects until 2018, according to a letter read out to lawmakers on Tuesday.

Nigeria, an OPEC member, slipped into recession for the first time in more than 20 years in the second quarter largely due to low global oil prices. Crude oil sales account for about two-thirds of government revenue.

The proposed borrowing includes the sale of Eurobonds worth $4.5 billion and a planned budget support of $3.5 billion, according to the letter from Buhari read out by the Senate President and the speaker of the House of Representatives.

"The projects cut across all sectors with special emphasis on infrastructure, agriculture, health, education, water supply, growth and employment generation, poverty reduction," Buhari said in the letter.

"It has become necessary to resort to prudent external borrowing to bridge the financing gap."

The borrowing was for the period until 2018, he added.

Buhari has already sent a draft budget for 2017 to parliament for approval. It lays out planned spending of a record 6.866 trillion naira ($22.55 billion) to help pull Africa's biggest economy out of recession.

The spending increase from 6.06 trillion naira this year aims to stimulate growth by funding infrastructure development to increase manufacturing, create jobs and reduce costly imports.

The government has held talks for months with the World Bank, China and other institutions to fund a 2016 budget deficit of 2.2 trillion naira but so far only the African Development Bank has publicly confirmed a planned loan of $1 billion.

Nigeria also wants to sell $1 billion in Eurobonds by the end of the year although as of Friday no bank to arrange the issue had been appointed.

Problems stemming from cheap oil have been exacerbated by militant attacks on energy facilities that have cut crude production, which was 2.1 million barrels per day (bpd) at the start of 2016, by 700,000 bpd.

In an effort to contain militancy in the Niger Delta oil hub, Buhari also asked lawmakers to spend another 35 billion naira this year on an amnesty plan for former fighters.

Cash salaries had been paid to ex-militants only until May because the amnesty's original budget of 20 billion naira had fallen short. "This is creating a lot of restiveness and compounding the security challenge in the Niger Delta," Buhari said in a letter.

Oil output has improved to 1.9 million bpd, the petroleum ministry said in a tweet late on Monday, without giving details.

Nigeria's excess crude account, a rainy day fund, stood at $2.4 billion as of October, the government said in a statement, in line with previously reported figures. ($1 = 304.5000 naira) (Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Catherine Evans)

Source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3871940/Nigerias-Buhari-asks-parliament-approve-30-bln-borrowing.html

Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by NaijaFutbol: 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by Flexherbal(m): 10:18pm On Oct 25, 2016
Another borrowing...
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by zakim(m): 10:28pm On Oct 25, 2016
change
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by ever811(m): 10:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
if that is the solution to our problem then he should borrow more...

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by Sweetguy25: 10:37pm On Oct 25, 2016
Hypocrites. I thought you dishonest APC hypocrites have recovered trillions of naira and dollars from Diezani and Dasuki?

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by dEastActivist: 1:31am On Oct 26, 2016
Please, I maybe against this BC the anomaly was theirs, but only for one useful thing, which is for the sake of our fresh graduates whom their destiny might cut short or get delayed BC of this costly mistake. Please funds should be released so our graduates can serve at their appropriate time to forestall being shortchanged in our labour market because of any reason.

How can you explain the fact that you will keep Nigerian graduates at home unemployable just because you couldn't provide for the logistics for them to serve their country?? Then what's the usefulness of the federal govt that can't sustain their own program and what's the essence of the program if the former holds sway??

Please this should be the priority for now for the sake of our students and our educational sector.
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by ademusiwa2io: 1:53am On Oct 26, 2016
[size=28pt]Rejected.

I contact the CBN and I ask mr Godwin Emiefile to come and see me in canada. Mr Godwin emiefile did not come, even when I gave him my address. I have ask the security agent to start looking for a replacement for Mr Godwin Emiefile, Someone who can work with me.

I want to speak to mr Godwin Emiefile. If not, he will not be in office by 1 January of next year.
i believe mr Godwin emiefile did not go to school. Or he is tribalism bias.

[/size]

Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by Sibrah: 3:23am On Oct 26, 2016
Buhari must be thinking "Afterall IB Jona borrowed with oil averaging $100pb+"
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by Paperwhite(m): 4:38am On Oct 26, 2016
Jeez! This is the highest form of the "grand heist" as someone rightly talked about in another thread. For God's sake,what have Nigeria done to itself to deserve this worst form of government? The 2016 budget of scam have not even attained 10% implementation with no capital project executed yet.Meanwhile,staggering amount of monies have earlier been borrowed & alleged to have been recovered from the IGR & antigraft war. So what has became of all that? Then now this borrowing again? Nigeria is in for it.Unfortunately the NASS is never up to it constitutional responsibility. There is need for a revolution in Nigeria.
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by NaijaFutbol: 11:27am On Oct 26, 2016
Why is this not yet on front page?

Lala, FP nah.. Or should I add snake and Olajumoke to the title?

grin
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by moshmusth(m): 11:35am On Oct 26, 2016
$30b or 30bnaira? Now i can see the zombies trooping in to defend their Dullard that with $30b he would turn Nigeria Overnight to U.S.A.... how do you explain someone who squandered our Foreign reserve to its all time low to Manage $30b efficiently.
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by mrvitalis(m): 11:54am On Oct 26, 2016
This is very good... The only problem is this is not clear enough..

I want a project attached to every kobo.. . So that we can monitor the loan
Re: President Buhari Seeks NASS Approval To Borrow $30bn Loan by Cjrane2: 1:42pm On Oct 26, 2016
This is truly an end time loan

Buhari squandered the foreign reserve and the recovered loot without accountability. Now is plotting to create another unsustainable debt crisis.

IMF must hold the Katsina and northern areas where this money is borrowed to develop responsible for paying back because all these debts will definitely speed up the looming collapse of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jimoh Ibrahim made Final List Of INEC Ondo Gubernatorial Election (Photo) / If Trump Wins U.S. Election, I'll Destroy My American Green Card - Soyinka / Rotimi Akeredolu’s Wife Betty: ‘How I Survived Breast Cancer’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.