Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,228 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:31 AM

Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire (1486 Views)

Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / Osun Workers Declares Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salarie / MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Pharoh: 5:19am On Oct 26, 2009
Peace in the Niger Delta region appears to be on the horizon as the main militant group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), has declared an indefinite ceasefire.

A statement yesterday by Jomo Gbomo, the group’s spokesperson, said the decision is as a result of the group’s negotiations with the Presidency.

According to him, the group’s leader, Henry Okah, after a series of meetings with the Federal Government, has conveyed a “welcome shift” message to the group, saying the government has expressed its readiness to engage in serious and meaningful dialogue with every group or individual towards achieving a lasting peace in the Niger Delta.

There is, however, a tone of ambivalence in the statement sent to NEXT by Gbomo, in declaring the ceasefire. The statement read “MEND will not disarm until the time is ripe. This means that we will be lurking in the shadows to monitor the dialogue which must be progressive.” It also declared emphatically that “We are not a part of the amnesty exercise because we see ourselves as unrepentant freedom fighters who have no reason to be apologetic for fighting a worthy and just cause.”

However, the group declared an indefinite ceasefire from October 25th (yesterday) to enhance the dialogue between the government and the Aaron Team, which the group has selected to negotiate MEND’s demand for peace in the oil-rich region.

MEND had previously threatened to resume hostilities against the Nigerian oil industry and the Nigerian armed forces on October 16,

2009 after the expiration of a 60-day ceasefire declared on July 15.

Negotiating with government

On when the negotiations will commence, Gbomo told NEXT in an email interaction that “that will have to be initiated by the government but we hope it will come as soon as possible before dialogue is seen as another delay tactics.”

The group had a few weeks ago named some individuals, which it called the Aaron Team to help negotiate with the Federal Government. Among those named are Mike Akhigbe, a former Chief of General Staff, and Nobel laureate, Wole Soyinka, among others.

On the details of the meeting between the President and Mr. Okah, Mr. Gbomo, quoting the group’s leader, told NEXT that “he said the meeting was held at the private residence of Mr. President and the atmosphere was warm and cordial. His impression (Mr. Okah’s) of the president was that of a man with a good heart surrounded by many bad advisers. The minister of defence who has been ranting and threatening was not at the meeting, so was the National Security Adviser; two men we associate with fuelling the crisis.

“The president wanted MEND to create an enabling environment for dialogue and peace and the government on their part was willing to engage in frank talks over the root issues that have led to the current unrest,” he added.

Ceasefire timeline

When NEXT sought to know the possible length of the new ceasefire, MEND stated that “we have offered an indefinite ceasefire as a show of good faith and expect the government will reciprocate by being sincere in using dialogue as a tool for advancing peace and justice instead of using it to prolong the ceasefire.” The group warned that “the dialogue does not have to last for more than 12 months to conclude”. It also announced the withdrawal of Annkio Briggs from the Aaron Team.

The exit of Ms Briggs is by mutual consent, according to the statement, adding, “She was not dropped but was excused to deal with some personal and numerous activities which may mean a huge sacrifice on her part to belong to the Aaron Team.” Ms Briggs was the liaison officer for the Aaron Team. She has been replaced by Amagbe Denzel Kentebe.

Other members of the team announced in September by the group apart from Messrs Akhigbe and Soyinka, are Luke Kakadu Aprezi and Sabella Ogbobode Abidde.

Source
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by nethacker(m): 6:39am On Oct 26, 2009
hmmmmmm, FG can now heave a sigh of relief wink
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by puskin: 7:01am On Oct 26, 2009
What's this.
Na force 2create topic.
Browse well b4 U post a topic.
Someone posted this topic yesterday.
Seun now followed suit by putting this on the front-page.
What a total disregard 4 NL rules even 4rm the big boss(Seun).
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by puskin: 7:08am On Oct 26, 2009
Why this now!!
Just as I was bracing myself up 4d re-newed bombing activities. . .and now this.
MEND should have @least carried out some dynamite testing activity on one wellhead b4 announcing another cease-fire.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by rasputinn(m): 7:21am On Oct 26, 2009
@ Puskin

Take a chill pill ok? ur point is made already
BTW,why didn't you post the link of the earlier thread.Whoever alleges,has the burden of proof on him you know cheesy cheesy cheesy

@
Seun over to you to lock this thread and replace with the earlier one
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Pharoh: 7:28am On Oct 26, 2009
Sorry i did not see it i normally look at the first page in the politics section before posting.Guess i should be using the search feature before posting as you said. smiley
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by chosen04(f): 11:02am On Oct 26, 2009
puskin:

What's this.
Na force 2create topic.
Browse well b4 U post a topic.
Someone posted this topic yesterday.
Seun now followed suit by putting this on the front-page.
What a total disregard 4 NL rules even 4rm the big boss(Seun).

YOU SPOKE MY MIND!!!!!
I think the rules are being abused just to please few persons
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Pharoh: 11:05am On Oct 26, 2009
chosen04:

YOU SPOKE MY MIND!!!!!
I think the rules are being abused just to please few persons

Sister no one is pleasing me by posting this topic on the front page and i have no relationship with the owner of these forum. I am just a faceless and an unknown member here.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by DeepSoul(f): 11:25am On Oct 26, 2009
I wonder why people like taking panadol for another person's headache sha

@Pharoh
No mind them jare.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by blackboy(m): 11:54am On Oct 26, 2009
Gr8 news lets hope it's forever.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Pharoh: 11:58am On Oct 26, 2009
Deep Soul:

I wonder why people like taking panadol for another person's headache sha

@Pharoh
No mind them jare.

Thank you very much, i really don't mind but just want to clarify my part in their wahala with Nairaland
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Nezan(m): 12:24pm On Oct 26, 2009
*how many threads?*
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by rudegirl: 12:25pm On Oct 26, 2009
who begged them ? embarassed
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by fekwenugo2: 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2009
If im dey vex una too much,open ur own forum otherwise d guy go still dey miss do.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2009
Hmmmmmmm, another feather to Baba-Go-Slow's cap. - in two years. First, banking reforms, now this. If he can deliver on power by December I'll be willing to give him a pass mark o jare - slow-and-steady, lol!! May the good Lord give him strength o grin!!
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Pharoh: 5:30pm On Oct 26, 2009
I hope they can use this peaceful atmosphere to do what is right now.
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Eziachi: 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2009
Who or what is MEND again? Any ideas?
Re: Mend Declares An Indefinite Ceasefire by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2009
I have never seen any group so ideologically impotent like MEND, They are a thorogh diagrace to all progressive forces on the planet

(1) (Reply)

‘if I Die, Delta Govt Should Be Held Responsible’ / Females Should Take Over Nigeria Political Affairs Now!!! / Voters Registration : Goodluck Jonathan's Children Still At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.