Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,503 members, 7,932,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:25 AM

No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos (5060 Views)

Gencos Ask FG To Increase Electricity Tariff / Senate: Buhari Has No Plan To End Recession / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by abbey086(m): 11:30am On Oct 27, 2016
Preator:
most people do not realize that they can actually contest their bills or get out of the clutches of the DISCos.

option 1.
a) apply for a meter at around 40k

b) pay 1k per month for a year to load it or 2k depending on availability in ur area and ur load. that's 24k

c) total cost of option 1, less than 70k.

d) remain on ur old meter or direct connection(which is worse) and be billed an average of 10k a month( 120k a year)
u can do the CBA.

option 2.
a) contest ur crazy bill with ur disco

b) they will most likely investigate and access ur load vis-à-vis availability in ur area and try to adjust ur billing(I've done this successfully)

c) if u are not satisfied, go to the NERC forum in ur area and escalate. u will most likely get better satisfaction here.

d) for this plan to work, please ensure that u av a functional meter(even if it is analog), and u do not have any irregularities in ur connection( meter bypass, shunting, double feeding, wire hanging etc) if u do, NERC forum go sama u better fine.

please, I will like to know how you escalated the issue to the appropriate authority because I'm having the same issue.
IKEDC refused to provide prepaid meter to us claiming that they are metering their customers in batches (i.e area by area) but giving us outrageous crazy bill on a monthly basis. The directive given by NERC that no unmetered customer must be billed more than 200kwh per month is totally disregarded by the distribution companies. NERC remains a completely toothless bulldog.
So how can we channel our complain to the appropriate authority?

1 Like

Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Preator: 11:30am On Oct 27, 2016
murmee:
The very reason the Discos don't want the majority of Nigerians to be on Prepaid meter is to be able to distribute Estimate/Crazy bills whether or not they provide light. In May of this year the Disco staff were in Ajao Estate, Airport Road to do a kind of Census to know those who are to be provided meters. They said the Prepaid meters will be supplied two months after. My dear people, this is the end of October and we have not heard anything about meters again but they joyfully bring their crazy bill even though most of the time, there's no light.

the issue of supplying prepaid meter, especially those obtainable under the CAPMI scheme is a regulatory issue. Though it seems the scheme was recently suspended(a week ago, I think) some DISCos have been reticent in providing the meters due to regulatory laxity as well as the uninformed consumers who were not aware of the procedures for seeking redress.
recently NERC has woken up and has started awarding fines against discos for crazy billing( up to 5million for a case I'm aware of) though the fine is not paid to the customers. nonetheless, there has been recent increase in compliance with NERC guidelines due to stricter enforcement and deterrent actions of NERC.
next time ur DISCos customer care does not satisfy you, take it to NERC forum. at least u get the satisfaction of giving them some headache.

NB
please don't engage in irregularities yourself. remember

"He who comes into equity must come with clean
hands."

also

"Equity aids the vigilant, not those who slumber
on their rights."
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Armstrong34(m): 11:30am On Oct 27, 2016
The thunder dat would fire PHCN is still trekking...... After giving me a bill of #15000 to pay....... I don't blame dem......
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Ngpolitics: 11:32am On Oct 27, 2016
I hope the won't increase it cos people can lie in this Buhari administration like Lai Mohammed
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Preator: 11:45am On Oct 27, 2016
abbey086:

please, I will like to know how you escalated the issue to the appropriate authority because I'm having the same issue.
IKEDC refused to provide prepaid meter to us claiming that they are metering their customers in batches (i.e area by area) but giving us outrageous crazy bill on a monthly basis. The directive given by NERC that no unmetered customer must be billed more than 200kwh per month is totally disregarded by the distribution companies. NERC remains a completely toothless bulldog.

I agree that NERC has hitherto been a toothless dog not because of lack of power to curtail the excesses of some of this discos but because of lack of political will as well as complicity (allegedly due to naira changing hands).
however, just about a month or two ago, they went into high drive.

the complaint procedure was in my previous post.
for IKEDC, the forum office is at 199 awolowo way, alausa, Ikeja lagos .ikejaforum@nercng.org. 0810- 6817298

2 Likes

Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by abbey086(m): 11:51am On Oct 27, 2016
Preator:

I agree that NERC has hitherto been a toothless dog not because of lack of power to curtail the excesses of some of this discos but because of lack of political will as well as complicity (allegedly due to naira changing hands).
however, just about a month or two ago, they went into high drive.

the complaint procedure was in my previous post.
for IKEDC, the forum office is at 199 awolowo way, alausa, Ikeja lagos .ikejaforum@nercng.org. 0810- 6817298
Thank you very much, I will get in touch with the forum.
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Zetra(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2016
abbey086:

imagine my neighbour using prepaid 3bedroom flat used just recharge only 3k last month and still using it till now(because light in our zone is bad)
but they brought light bill for our flat 12k saying dat we used 563kwh imagine.

though our landlord said the form finally have being given.
5k to settle for the form, 50k for single face, then to speed up the meter being approved and installed in a 1-2months 20k.
that's how our neighbours got theirs.

if you follow due process, they will find one thing and say you are not yet eligible, or you will pay then it will take like forever for the meter to be brought to your home to install.
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by jayjay1512(m): 1:50pm On Oct 27, 2016
get a prepaid meter[color=#006600]

Which prepaid meter after paying for over i cant even get after 1 month with IBEDC waiting endlessly and yet still giving me outrageous bill

1 Like

Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Preator: 3:18pm On Oct 27, 2016
Zetra:

imagine my neighbour using prepaid 3bedroom flat used just recharge only 3k last month and still using it till now(because light in our zone is bad)
but they brought light bill for our flat 12k saying dat we used 563kwh imagine.

though our landlord said the form finally have being given.
5k to settle for the form, 50k for single face, then to speed up the meter being approved and installed in a 1-2months 20k.
that's how our neighbours got theirs.

if you follow due process, they will find one thing and say you are not yet eligible, or you will pay then it will take like forever for the meter to be brought to your home to install.

jayjay1512:

get a prepaid meter[color=#006600]

Which prepaid meter after paying for over i cant even get after 1 month with IBEDC waiting endlessly and yet still giving me outrageous bill

oh oh. the concept of bribery to fasttrack such processes has always been the bane of our civil service and the DISCos are still acting as if they are still part of that deplorable culture.
nonetheless, it depends on the management of your DISCo, here if you report such extortion and its found to be true, the staff will get sacked. though a lot of them still do it though despite the fact that they can not really do anything to fast track it. meter application and installation is centralized and takes averagely 45 days max in line with the NERC guidelines.
however impediments may include outstanding balance on ur old account, and wrong wiring of ur house. ur house must be certified as properly wired by a LECAN officer. those are areas where those field staff may be able to exploit to extort u.
but struggle to get it, cos its certainly worth the stress.

the price of meter is determined by NERC and is uniform accros the country. it also includes the cost of installation as well as VAT(Under the CAPMI scheme)
check out the price below.
http://ibedc.ourdemoserver.com/1082

the price for single and 3 phase has been reviewed
single- 39,375
3ph- 68,901
guess ibedc needs to update that page
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Synzu(m): 8:21pm On Oct 27, 2016
Cc: Daddysly
Re: No Plan To Increase Electricity Tariff – Discos by Zetra(m): 8:30am On Nov 07, 2016
Preator:

however impediments may include outstanding balance on ur old account, and wrong wiring of ur house. ur house must be certified as properly wired by a LECAN officer.

thanks bro, I didn't open this on time...
my zone is EKO district,
for the impediments: it's a must over here to clear your outstanding before giving you the form to apply self.
but I saw meter installed on electricity poles for those (face me slap u houses) in igando, egede zones so I guess wrong wiring is not an issue.

yes you are correct, I saw the landlord meter receipt bears ~40k.

Some areas on Lagos their distribution company goes around to ask beg people to apply for prepaid, then when installed you are allowed to recharge and pay your outstanding gradually.

EKO distribution needs mind cleansing..

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) / What Udom Emmanuel Has Turned Akwa Ibom Road Into (before/now) / Why Living Faith Church Hates Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.