Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,329 members, 7,943,817 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:19 AM

Nysc Should Be Scrapped! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Should Be Scrapped! (721 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by tolex29(f): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2009
As far as i'm concerned, the NYSC is a national mistake. It's a sheer waste of time. It's simply one year of rubbish that could have been concentrated on actually going out to seek proper employment. What value does the NYSC give to freshers except tour the country and give them cameo job positions at remote regions in the country. We all know that this system does not make these people better at getting jobs; some people say it gives them experience but tell me what better experience is there than that of the job proper. It's rather appalling that major blue-chip companies ask for NYSC before they employ instead of taking fresh graduates straight on trainee programmes. I work for a recruitment agency and more than 95% of my clients dont count NYSC candidates as experienced; they simply call them freshers. So what is wrong in asking freshers to start work straight away after graduation? Is the govt saying that the deployment of people to the north to teach in roofless schools is what gives them working experience?Or the filling out forms in Local govts in the south and sweeping roads with their feet? If there was no NYSC companies will take on freshers directly after graduation and will have no choice but train them if they find them deficient in some areas. Instead of wasting one year, why cant the govt incorporate teaching working and admin skills into school curricular for students during their academic years in school. How many students have died travelling to their states of posting? How many have been killed during ethnic clashes after they were found to be from other regions of the country during this service of a thing? Apparently students dont spend 4 years for a 4-year programme but 5 years before gaining employment. How many people after NYSC are better for it? In what way is this serving your father's land when there are lots and lots of issues with this system.The govt keeps wasting money on NYSC every year and some gullible students look forward to a year of waste; what they could have used to work in a proper working environment.
Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by jidobaba(m): 12:12pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^You are right but at the same time wrong. The NYSC is relevant in-principle, the execution however is wanting. I see the service period as effective in nation-building but completely useless/irrelevant as a means of gaining on-the-job experience. Forget corpers dieing on the roads, or in religious/ethnic clashes- these are the vicissitudes of life, could happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime.
I taught in a roofless school in the north. In practical terms it was a thoroughly wasteful year of my life, but I have bitter/sweet memories of that year- probably because I am a bit of a romantic. Completed service and in no time got frustrated/ jaded with the unproductive search for non-existent job. I therefore added that wasted year to my long list of grievances against the corrupt machine running this country.
I agree with you that the NYSC be stopped until this country has been cleansed of the stench of corruption, until our schools are brought to standard, until nepotism gives way to merit, until our cowardly heads are grounded into the wall, until passiveness is drowned by revolution, until death takes lives, until hopelessness is replaced with ambition,

(1) (Reply)

Corpers To Boycot Elections In North. For Good / Woman Arrested For Killing A Corps Member In Abeokuta. / Pls I Need Advice On How Best One Can Utilize His Service Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.