Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,790 members, 7,918,518 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 11:18 AM

Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out (26951 Views)

Oluwo Of Iwo Denied Rumour Of Not Allowed Into Vip Area At Eagles Square / Meet Princess Taiwo Oyebolo Agbona, The Only Female Ruler In Ondo State / Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
I no understand

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
seriously am not understanding

sherif4owo:
Its women's lazy day... no cooking, no washing nothing nothing... Enjoy your Telemundo
except that the OPs husband is broke hence she has to go out....no fuel.... power supply cut due to debts hence the useless thread
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nonsense
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by temi2008: 1:14pm On Nov 03, 2016
Backwardness and boundage in the 21st century.
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 03, 2016
pic or idonblivit
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by pembisco(m): 1:17pm On Nov 03, 2016
maxiuc:
Am not surprised. Afonjas and tradition With style now human sacrifice go include
The evil done by them is why their roofs remains brown

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by APCmyheart(m): 1:19pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nikita1:
Lalasticlala

Wow i remember that festival back then when i was in Ondo town, Beside Ondo township have so many festival which i cannot remember, But the biggest of the festival is the Ogun festival if am not mistaken it for Ekimogun, We use to buy cloths and prepare for it, We will all troop to the road leading to Oba place i forget the name again but coming from Ife garage leading to Esso through Surulere road.. I enjoy myself when i was in Ondo i swear. But Lagos is still the best.

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Horlawoomey(m): 1:19pm On Nov 03, 2016
The thing is not that strong again, a lady served me this morning along Yaba Road in the same Ondo town. I also saw some women inside their shop doing their normal businesses, everywhere is scanty though.

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by vannessa7(f): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2016
in ijebu ode where I grew up they have agemo festival every year around June for a whole week, any woman that sees this agemo inevitably dies the same day, all schools and markets are closed,many women have died, we had white Reverend sisters teachers in my secondary school then, they used to go out without any repercussion, at least that what I heard. we girls used to hide and quiver in the room when those things were passing, they were wicked and desperate to catch a woman thus when they get to your area they will start hawking fish to lure unsuspecting women out because if they don't kill in a particular year they will die before the next year, they are 16 in no. there Is d story of d one dat met his mother and told her she should go and sleep which was their way of telling their victims to die, I know a nurse dat died when she saw then, ijebu people here confirm if the festival is still being observed as I'm from Oyo, I left ijebu after my sec sch.

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by jrusky(m): 1:26pm On Nov 03, 2016
alonzoiv:
Though I'm not a fan of tradition, it's best to leave them be and allow them do their thing. After all, it is just for a day. To avoid stories that touch(the heart).

I know some clown cultural disrespect one will disagree with you. I have no problem with any tribe culture in as far no human killing is involve. I respect everybody culture and they should be allow to practice in reference to the law of the land.

What I don't like to see is when blood of human has to be spill or in the name of culture committing sodomy or pedophile I don't buy that.

I know my own people will kick against this just watch their response. "

My people knows themselves I don't need to mention tribe". Anything not from their side is term rubbish only their things are the best and good.

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by mikkypel(m): 1:34pm On Nov 03, 2016
So Nikita is ondo egi.. Le oo yeii.. Ke tii hii.. Wo gboija, kiibi we ha beiii, Ondo a yon yeye o, E a se e kuo

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 03, 2016
Hg
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by maxiuc(m): 1:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
sylvar02:

E gò díè shá
E pain say one of those roofs belongs to you
I understand your pain

Chai take heart

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by maxiuc(m): 1:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
[quote author=pembisco post=50732795][/quote] you tried to show me brown roof human skull and ritualist den

Afonjas are ritualistically corrupt
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2016
Saintbado:
remembered when i was still a student of A.C.E, during this festival females were not allow out of their compound, but i usually see females outside scanty though, maybe the braves ones
oh, you finished from ACE, that's nice

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2016
maxiuc:
E pain say one of those roofs belongs to you
I understand your pain

Chai take heart
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 03, 2016
Horlawoomey:
The thing is not that strong again, a lady served me this morning along Yaba Road in the same Ondo town. I also saw some women inside their shop doing their normal businesses, everywhere is scanty though.
Yes, I agree. Me did not stay inside oo. In fact I'm outside our compound. I have always hated this festival. Some still take it personal while some wave it.
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
NgcoboP:

except that the OPs husband is broke hence she has to go out....no fuel.... power supply cut due to debts hence the useless thread
and this shows us how shallow minded you are. I'm trying to let others know the culture of other states and here you are displaying your f.i.s.h. brain. For your empty headed brain, I'm a young lady. Maybe you are telling us how broke your dad is. Oloshi

4 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by LorDBolton(m): 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
matrixme:
Interesting development, especially as Nigerians now celebrate Halloween. We are a lost and confused people.

Wish I could give u a 6-pack for this comment.

Just watch as some mumu will come n criticise this tradition as barbaric and backward but the white men now make money off their 'barbaric' festivals

Imagine people spending top dollar to visit Spain during the annual RUNNING OF THE BULLS where people sometimes get gored to death by bulls.

But if na africa... backward festival

Blacks have the WEAKEST minds

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 03, 2016
megareal:
Op, please explain, how does that tradition show the value of women in the society?
it shows our value in the sense that the town of ironically dead now. You will even hear the men saying they wonder how this world will be without women in it. Have you ever been to grave yard , Ondo town is the same with grave yard now
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2016
ogesonopt:
Yes Op, am in Ondo city as we speak. No women is seen outside till evening.
yes, until the sun sets
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 03, 2016
BIDOO:
Ondo is known for obnoxious fetish anyday,anytime.
Everyday is their festival day range from OGUN to OYA to OBATALA.
Only God save me the very first time i set my foot on that soil.
can you tell us another lie please because this one is not strong enough
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by erico2k2(m): 2:19pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nikita1:
[b]The 'festival' is called ODUN MOKO. It happens once in a year in ondo town. During the celebration of the festival, women across all age grades are barred from coming out in the morning of its celebration till evening when it would come to an end.

As a child, we were told that if you go out, you won't be able to conceive when the time comes. My grandma even told me that in the olden days, no cooking of food or any other activities by the women.

As a child, I remember that whenever this 'day' comes, i will wear trouser and tell my dad I'm now a boy simply because I hate being restricted. I guess the feminist in me started very Early.

I once asked the 'Lisa' of Ondo the meaning of this festival and he told me that it not meant to punish the womenfolk, but is done in line with the age-long tradition and culture of the people of the community.

It is on this day that we all know the importance of women in the Society because the town is always quiet like a grave yard. It's the sound of little boys playing football on the street that you can hear in the corner of the room.

Lalasticlala, is this another form of oppression of the women folk . Move to front page please [/b]
I think I agree with that last paragraph as explained .
This is or might be meant to celibrate the importance of WOMEN in the society . Men would learn to appreciate the works of a woman.
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by oduneja: 2:20pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nikita1:
[b]The 'festival' is called ODUN MOKO. It happens once in a year in ondo town. During the celebration of the festival, women across all age grades are barred from coming out in the morning of its celebration till evening when it would come to an end.

As a child, we were told that if you go out, you won't be able to conceive when the time comes. My grandma even told me that in the olden days, no cooking of food or any other activities by the women.

As a child, I remember that whenever this 'day' comes, i will wear trouser and tell my dad I'm now a boy simply because I hate being restricted. I guess the feminist in me started very Early.

I once asked the 'Lisa' of Ondo the meaning of this festival and he told me that it not meant to punish the womenfolk, but is done in line with the age-long tradition and culture of the people of the community.

It is on this day that we all know the importance of women in the Society because the town is always quiet like a grave yard. It's the sound of little boys playing football on the street that you can hear in the corner of the room.

Lalasticlala, is this another form of oppression of the women folk . Move to front page please [/b]

Le oo... Keti ri?

SI DEDE WA A JO SE MODUN O ... ASE!!!
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by erico2k2(m): 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
kinggogo:
Africans n our traditions
Come to the west and see tradition
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
APCmyheart:

Wow i remember that festival back then when i was in Ondo town, Beside Ondo township have so many festival which i cannot remember, But the biggest of the festival is the Ogun festival if am not mistaken it for Ekimogun, We use to buy cloths and prepare for it, We will all troop to the road leading to Oba place i forget the name again but coming from Ife garage leading to Esso through Surulere road.. I enjoy myself when i was in Ondo i swear. But Lagos is still the best.
That's Ogun festival, can't remember the last time I attended it. It's always fun thou. Ekimogun is always around d December.
Yes, we all agree Lagos is bae kiss
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by erico2k2(m): 2:22pm On Nov 03, 2016
emmalexabl:
This is not sophisticated but pure primitive practice.. ... grin grin
And Halloween ? ??the day of the dead??
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by APCmyheart(m): 2:29pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nikita1:
That's Ogun festival, can't remember the last time I attended it. It's always fun thou. Ekimogun is always around d December.
Yes, we all agree Lagos is bae kiss

The last time i witness Ogun festival is is think 2001, Then i use to visit my mom from School and stay with her during break until 2003
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Worzky: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2016
Back in d days, today u'll appreciate the female more. To boring to be with guys only.
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by omonnakoda: 2:38pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nikita1:

It was a subtle public holiday for women

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

White Mass Choir Do Christmas Carol In Nigerian Language (video) / Olubadan Of Ibadanland Lands In London In Style. Photos / Emir Sanusi Celebrates His 55th Birthday, Poses With His Cake And Wives (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.