Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,570 members, 7,921,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 07:15 PM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (46112 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SEFAGO(m): 9:29am On Nov 01, 2009
Well i plan to - probably next year May and not soon for personal reasons, to publish a full guide on applying to school in the US- undergraduate, graduate, engineering/medical schools, and others that could serve a reference for nigerian international students planning to school in the US/Canada.

But I can swear I know rily poor people/ middle class who attend $60,000/year schools in the US on full scholarships and the schools are even paying their tickets back home to nigeria. these kids are really smart though so it is not for everyone. Sadly the economic crisis, would make things difficult later in the future so my knowledge might have become obsolete.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:39am On Nov 01, 2009
I am wondering if it is more difficult in the uk? plus can someone expatiate on graduate assistant
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SEFAGO(m): 9:41am On Nov 01, 2009
more difficult in the uk
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SEFAGO(m): 9:42am On Nov 01, 2009
i wuld have explained funding to u in the uk, but the spambot is on pot
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by N9528GB: 9:44am On Nov 01, 2009
@poster n @all why bother urself about those who at all means wanna travel out? Am pretty sure they know what they r up against.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by donjon: 9:53am On Nov 01, 2009
Uk is the worst
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 01, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 10:58am On Nov 01, 2009
tex
SEFAGO says it's easy getting undergrad scholarship, he should kindly provide the necessary step-by-step guide so whoever is interested will follow the guide. I must point out though that scholarship is not for everyone. Same with getting a job on campus (BTW, some schools pay well-above minimum wage). We need to draw inspiration from the Indians (and to an extent CHINESE). I 'm impressed with what the Indians are doing. Not only does their government encourage studies in medical field, IT et al, the private sector also provides information about the schools, ratings and student life. So even before an Indian student steps on campus, he/she knows what to expect. They also routinely share information about available jobs, so it shouldn't surprise you that they are usually employed on and off campus-- they are better organized than we blacks. And please if you have any Chinese friend, and you happen to need a textbook for a course, ask your Chinese friend. He 'd be able to get you the textbook in ebook (or .CHM) format.

true
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 11:18am On Nov 01, 2009
@ Poster,

Nigerian students know how to survive in every situation they find themselves.
From my own experience when i was a student in the UK, rather than go looking for 20 hr or 5pound per hour job, i was buying and selling stuff on the internet in my free time. Never under estimate the power of the internet to survive as a student, you just need to be trustworthy.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by flopath(m): 11:20am On Nov 01, 2009
Everything that has been said here is pretty much on point. I love how the guy before me said 'marry' a citizen you 'love'. arrangee lol. A lot of people do it here for the visa reasons. As a student on F-1 visa I have to say that it is not easy, the twenty hours a week I work self is just to keep body and soul together. thank God for scholarships and financial aid, if not, there is no way that my parents would shell out 50 grand for school. Having an uncle here also helps. It means I don't have to get an apartment or something like that till graduate school. I don't have a car but that is where having connections matter too, enough friends I can depend on for that. Thank God I am not interested in medicine, I can't imagine the pain international students have to go through applying to medical schools that might not even take you. Engineering all the way. All in all, I have noticed that the struggle is just for the 4 years, Phd programs usually give stipends and full tuition for graduate school, though getting in is not that easy but with reasonable determination it is not impossible(see talking about it like I have actually done it), fortunately for us naija peeps here, school work is not that difficult it just needs a little concentration. That's my rant folks, can't wait for 1yr to come chap chap make I commot from undergrad abeg. Happy Halloween!
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Focusmind: 11:27am On Nov 01, 2009
I think it is very expensive to go abroad to study if are not on scholarship. I planned going abroad to study last 2years with money I made why working in Diamond bank. I would fully sponsored myself with my bank savings but I thought to still work and gain more experience. But last year I applied and sat for the PTDF scholarship exam and passed. Today I am a fully funded scholar of PTDF with my bank savings still with me. I encourage people on nairaland to always take time and browse for scholarship bodies. It is unfortunate that people would spend so much time on internet browing rubbish. Even before the PTDF scholarship, I was on the verge of securing tuition free scholarship from the Durham University for their MBA. But sine PTDF covers both tuition,living and extra allowance, I had to take that one. Always spend your time searching for things that would add value not ones that would deplete the little you have. Yes, things are difficult, but always know what you want - try browsing about governments of Japan, Canadan,Sweden and other international organisations. They always scholarship for people from developing countries.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by okonkwojsh22: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2009
Some one should help me! I applied for an undergraduate student scholarship to study at Teeside uni-middlesborogh london but i am curious the school fees is 8550pounds by scholarship they cut 1500pounds. Its now 7050 pounds. Am asking will i survive if i go for it. I need answers?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2009
Focusmind:

I think it is very expensive to go abroad to study if are not on scholarship. I planned going abroad to study last 2years with money I made why working in Diamond bank. I would fully sponsored myself with my bank savings but I thought to still work and gain more experience. But last year I applied and sat for the PTDF scholarship exam and passed. Today I am a fully funded scholar of PTDF with my bank savings still with me. I encourage people on nairaland to always take time and browse for scholarship bodies. It is unfortunate that people would spend so much time on internet browing rubbish. Even before the PTDF scholarship, I was on the verge of securing tuition free scholarship from the Durham University for their MBA. But sine PTDF covers both tuition,living and extra allowance, I had to take that one. Always spend your time searching for things that would add value not ones that would deplete the little you have. Yes, things are difficult, but always know what you want - try browsing about governments of Japan, Canadan,Sweden and other international organisations. They always scholarship for people from developing countries.

lucky dude!
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2009
okonkwojsh_22:

Some one should help me! I applied for an undergraduate student scholarship to study at Teeside uni-middlesborogh london but i am curious the school fees is 8550pounds by scholarship they cut 1500pounds. Its now 7050 pounds. Am asking will i survive if i go for it. I need answers?

Are you sure it's in london?

You will survive if you have enough funds to begin with, you will find it very difficult if you are hoping to rely on part-time work for your accomodation, bills and fees remember its a three year course!

spambot is acting up @ Sefago and texmex
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by bigboyslim(m): 12:50pm On Nov 01, 2009
Just adding my 2 cents about life as an F1 student in the US. (Taking into fact that you have no scholarship and you are from an average Nigerian family. You also attend an average school with tuition in the range 18k - 25k per year)

Disadvantages
- Financial burden that can scar you for life
- loneliness
- Constant fear of falling out of status either during studies or after graduation
- Constant fear of dropping out of school due to insufficient funds
- Constant fear of not getting a job after graduation despite the huge debt u've managed to incur
- Discrimination (even Obama can't make this right)
- Depression as a result of all of the above.

Advantages
- Learn from the best minds in the world.
- If you are lucky enough to get a good job after graduation, you can afford to recover all the financial expenses you incurred during school. But the emotional and psychological expenses are probably impossible to recover.
- i'm still looking for more  advantages

7 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by semid4lyfe(m): 1:34pm On Nov 01, 2009
Hmm, interesting thread! Everything that has been said is on point. Those wey get ear make dem hear.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ Okonkwosh

You will survive but it may be difficult, and difficulty often frustrates students studying abroad especially when they can't get jobs or work enough hours to cope due to restriction to 20hrs work.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2009
the one good thing about the uk is that healthcare is free as a student i suppose its not really considering hw much fees have to be paid
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ okonkwosh
make sure you get a well paid part time job sha so u dnt ve to work too many hrs to get gd pay and then on holidays when you wrk full time you can make even more money but i wont lie to you middlesbrough is one of the roughest and poorest regions of the uk man when you arrive at the train station it is a really depressing sight
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by question(m): 2:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
At least studying abroad with the suffer and stress is better than wasting 10 - 20 months of your student life in the name of ASUU Strike

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2009
[b]A friend of mine will be leaving for the states in awhile. He took his time before he made this move. I never knew what it was all about until he told about a big Bleep up adventure dared by an elderly brother.
His own elder brother left an amazing bank position 8 years ago, took off to Oklahoma when he discovered he bleeped up.
The education cost was a little too unbearable. And working 2 jobs to take care of things and the peeps at home was a nightmare.
He tried to buy himself time and married a white crack-head sicko who used cocaine. She almost ruined his life, and on one occasion bit off his left ear.
This was a guy if he had been here, would have excelled and made it greater, and his life would have had greater meaning.
America is a great country, but I learn from this great guy that, its good to have good plans, even some structures down here, before you get out.
And your plans must be fully and financially covered incase you dont get scholarship. It never hurts to have a Plan B. Even an exit Plan C.
Im doing the same. Got a degree. Started my masters, and planning to get the phd, hopefully in havard. (I pray it should be Hav, or Stamford)
I heard phds are so easy to get down there. Im told masters are not so cheap as they are accessed on the degrees. And they, the best university down here is like a toilet college down in the US.
Can some suggest how much an MBA or Phd costs in one of the best leading financial university in the US? Or Canada?[/b]
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by MrCrackles(m): 3:38pm On Nov 01, 2009
aasog:

The education cost was a little too unbearable. And working 2 jobs to take care of things and the peeps at home was a nightmare.
He tried to buy himself time and married a white crack-head sicko who used cocaine. She almost ruined his life, and on one occasion bit off his left ear.
shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by skfa1: 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
okonkwojsh_22:

Hey dude thats my school you talking about, actually its not easy if you dont have a sponsor which is my situation at the moment but with God on my side all things has been possible. I'm actually in my final year now. Imagine from work to school right from year 1 , I always sit at the back of the class cause I'm always tired grin and I will put my phone in vibration cause my boss might call me, i tell you that's not easy. Anyways man must survive.

You will survive if you are well determined.

Thanks to God.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2009
another mistake students make is this 20hrs job they see everywhere, IT IS NOT GUARANTEED, ITS NOT GIVEN TO YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE
You have to compete with other international students arriving at the same time (you know how we nigerians like to arrive late)
local unemployed youth etc etc
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 4:43pm On Nov 01, 2009
Dis Guy:

another mistake students make is this 20hrs job they see everywhere, IT IS NOT GUARANTEED, ITS NOT GIVEN TO YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE
You have to compete with other international students arriving at the same time
(you know how we nigerians like to arrive late)
local unemployed youth etc etc

Thanks for pointing that out, i wanted to say that as well. That was the impression i had b4 coming here but when i got here, it was an eye opener.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 4:44pm On Nov 01, 2009
More reason why one should learn a skill before departure.  At least, you can charge fellow students for haircut etc , this gives you extra money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 4:48pm On Nov 01, 2009
thats a very good suggestion cvibe
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Redman44(m): 4:58pm On Nov 01, 2009
@cvibe, you are making a lot of sense on this thread. I'm feeling you so much smiley smiley I 'll come back to give my own ideas and opinions concerning this issue. Cheers.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2009
Also, the easiest and fastest way to cut out competition and get a job as a student when you see a vacancy advert on a notice board is to take that advert down if you can. That way, you reduce the no of people who will apply for the same job with you, thereby increasing your chances.

6 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

Also, the easiest and fastest way to cut out competition and get a job as a student when you see a vacancy advert on a notice board is to take that advert down if you can. That way, you reduce the no of people who will apply for the same job with you, thereby increasing your chances.

If u are the 1st person to see it, if everybody does that u will not see any job to apply for. Sometimes they need more than one person for the job, if u took the advert down u are denying maybe another 9ja student source of income

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Drone Picture Of Aba-owerri Road Showing How Neat Aba Has Become Recently / Facts About The New BRT Buses In Lagos - Photos / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: Reconstruction, Rehabilitation And Expansion

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.