Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,385 members, 7,891,689 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 05:25 PM

Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks (1491 Views)

List Of Microfinance Banks Whose Licences Are Recommended For Revocation / List Of Microfinance Banks That Give Loans. / Beware Of Microfinance Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by Pharoh: 6:46am On Oct 30, 2009
The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation is overwhelmed by the number of microfinance banks in the country; a situation which has made the supervision of the subsector difficult, Jacob Afolabi, a deputy director, at the corporation has said.

Mr. Afolabi, who made the disclosure on Thursday in Kaduna, said unlike the regular deposit money banks, the NDIC does not know the location of all the existing microfinance banks, a situation that has made monitoring and supervision difficult.

“Even when we write them letters, some of the mails are returned undelivered. We cannot locate some of these microfinance banks because of their wide spread across the country.”

The officialalso decried the low compliance with regulations by operators in the sector.

According to him, the corporation is supposed to conduct off-sight monitoring on a monthly basis to regulate developments in the sector, but that only 50 per cent of operators comply with regulations that make that possible.

In order to safeguard the interest of depositors, Mr. Afolabi said the corporation is working on a method of identifying functional and non-functional microfinance banks.

The Central Bank of Nigeria, in 2005, released a revised guideline for the operation of microfinance banks in the country. This resulted in the conversion of community banks into micro finance institutions in other for them to play a pivotal role in the poverty alleviation effort of the government.

Since then, close to 800 institutions were registered as microfinance banks across the country.

The current turmoil in the banking industry has taken a toll on the microfinance banks with many of them closing shop and unable to meet their obligations to depositors.

Source
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by anishe(m): 12:27pm On Oct 30, 2009
Let us consider the implication. I think your guess is as good as mine.

Depositors to microfinance Banks beware.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by dramenda(f): 1:12pm On Oct 30, 2009
i
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by Pharoh: 3:04pm On Oct 30, 2009
I am ashamed of those who registered this companies in the first place. Don't we have a means where we can verify this addresses before approval?

I really pity those market women, see how their hard earned money will just get lost in the wind  sad. Who are they going to hold if they cannot locate the business operation of these microfinancebanks.
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by nich(m): 6:20pm On Oct 30, 2009
gegen! anoda film wan start
gegen! dis one pass nollywood
gegen! who be actor; who be the boss?
gegen!

cry cry cry cry
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by Carlosein(m): 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2009
pam, pam, pam another one bites the dust!!!
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by oncolor: 8:50pm On Oct 30, 2009
Regulator cannot locate what he is regulating, na wa o!. Everything for naija na abracadabra
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by obimind(m): 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2009
Sincerely speaking, I find it difficult flowing with these MFBANKS.  They don't have ATM machine which makes their operation highly limited.
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by diggler(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2009
Some MFBs r well run.

I know of one in the South East practically owned by the Catholic church.
This MFB is arguably the biggest banking Institution in the that state because of the sentimental undertones.

They have affliations with regular deposit money banks who provide em with ATMs, Clearing & other treasury services. Matter of fact these commercial banks r falling over themselves for deposits from this bank.

with the right target market & biz plan, MFB bizness is very lucrative. If i have like N50m to spare walahi i dey launch my own sharpishly.
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by Nezan(m): 10:52am On Nov 02, 2009
This is a serious issue-o. Security of deposits with MFB cannot be guaranteed?
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by Jeovy(m): 12:44pm On Nov 02, 2009
some are well managed
Re: Regulator Cannot Locate Microfinance Banks by manny4life(m): 6:15pm On Nov 02, 2009
I want to ask a question,

1. How do this Micro Finance Banks make money since they lend on small scale and interest rate is quite low.

2. Do account depositors in this banks pay some kind of monthly account maintenance fee, or even at the big banks

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Wears / Binary Options Too Easy? / 12 Product That Spin Cash In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.