Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,804 members, 7,886,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 12:36 AM

Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US (644 Views)

Massive Protests Across The World, Demanding Justice For George Floyd. / Anti-lockdown Protests Around The World (Photos) / Protests In Tehran After Iran Admits Shooting Down Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by DONSMITH123(m): 8:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Protesters burned an orange-haired Donald Trump head in effigy, lit bonfires and blocked traffic late Wednesday as anger over the billionaire’s election to the presidency spilled onto the streets of major cities.

From New York to Los Angeles, thousands of people marched, rallied and chanted in around 10 cities against the billionaire president-elect a day after his stunning upset win, some carrying signs with slogans such as “Not our President” and “Love trumps hate.”

Most of the rallies were peaceful.

Protesters carrying signs reading “Dump Trump” gathered outside Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue, where the president elect lives.

Police said they had arrested 15 people, the New York Times reported.

In Washington, several hundred gathered in front of the White House for a candlelight vigil on a damp, chilly evening, criticizing what they called Trump’s racism, sexism and xenophobia, and carrying signs reading “We have a voice!” and “Education for all!”

One of the organizers, Ben Wikler, Washington director of the liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org, told the crowd that others were coming together in hundreds of communities around the country.

“People are justly frightened,” he said. “We are here because in these darkest moments, we are not alone,” he added, before leading chants of “We are not alone!”

Protests were also held in Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland and other cities.

In Oakland, California, protesters lit fires in the street and stood around them chanting, news reports said. Some threw bottles and firecrackers at police, KPIX TV reported.

In Los Angeles, demonstrators outside City Hall held aloft a burning, box-shaped likeness of Trump’s head, topped with bright orange hair.

Ethan Miller of the workers’ rights group Jobs with Justice said organizers held the Washington vigil to show that civil society was resilient.

“It’s a hard time for a lot of Americans,” he told AFP. “We saw a campaign that was filled with racism and misogyny and whole host of other terrible tactics that ultimately were successful for winning the electoral college.”

“But we’re not going to let a Donald Trump presidency stop the progress in this country,” he added.

– Electoral system ‘broken’ –

In New York City, demonstrators gathered in Union Square holding signs saying “Love Trumps Hate” and “Trump Grabbed America by the Pussy!” before marching uptown in the thousands to chant in front of Trump Tower.

“The electoral college is broken,” protester Nicholas Forker said of the US indirect voting system. “I think it definitely needs to be reformed… I think it’s ridiculous.”

In Chicago, several thousand people gathered around Trump Tower, blocking downtown streets and traffic while other staged a counter-protest on the opposite side of the building.

Across the country, high school and college students also staged campus demonstrations and walkouts from classes.

In Oregon, demonstrators blocked traffic in downtown Portland, forcing a delay on two light-rail lines.

The crowd there grew to about 300 people, local reports said, including some who sat in the middle of a road to block traffic. Others burned American flags.

In Pennsylvania, hundreds of University of Pittsburgh students marched through the streets, with some in the crowd calling for unity.

The rallies followed protests overnight on Tuesday as voting results were being tallied, when at least one person was seriously injured in Oakland, California, where demonstrators broke store windows and set garbage alight.
Cc: lalasticlala
http://punchng.com/trump-election-victory-prompts-protests-across-us/

Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by Young03(m): 8:46am On Nov 10, 2016
ok
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by SweetLove0(f): 8:48am On Nov 10, 2016
hmmm...
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by adult91: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2016
native Americans voted trump. immigrants are protesting. I don't understand the whole thing. if my bet enter this week, I go sew cloth for Xmas. that's my own problem
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by kodded(m): 8:53am On Nov 10, 2016

Funny enough, this people where the same set of clowns to mock trump when he said that he is not going to accept the result if it didn't go his way

If they don't like Trump they should go back to their parent country
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by blackpanda: 8:55am On Nov 10, 2016
Its too late to cry. Just manage am
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by GoggleB(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2016
So Oyinbos too dey jobless to dey do all dis kain Yeye thing..
Abeg Clinton shud go away jare she don lose..
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by TheFreeOne: 8:58am On Nov 10, 2016
The deed is done.

Nothing they can do about it cos Trump is already Whitehouse bound.

They need to set aside their differences for a better country.
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by kodded(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2016
adult91:
native Americans voted trump. immigrants are protesting. I don't understand the whole thing. if my bet enter this week, I go sew cloth for Xmas. that's my own problem

My dear this guys are giving the native Americans one hundred and one reason why they vote in Trump

Imagine coming all the way from Asia, middle east and Africa to come and decides who will be president of america
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by abdul4new(m): 9:09am On Nov 10, 2016
if una likes carry your protest go heaven the die is cast Donald Trump is your next president. its better you guys learnt to live with it.
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by delectablegyal(f): 9:15am On Nov 10, 2016
Abi them dey rig election for U.S.A? Nor be them vote for am, why them dey protest?

Look at my dp and tell me you don't like it.

1 Like

Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by DONSMITH123(m): 9:39am On Nov 10, 2016
delectablegyal:
Abi them dey rig election for U.S.A? Nor be them vote for am, why them dey protest?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ADVERTISE @DP?
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by OsusuMustFlow(f): 9:41am On Nov 10, 2016
grin grin grin Their eye don open
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by OsusuMustFlow(f): 9:42am On Nov 10, 2016
delectablegyal:

why una like to dey fall woman hand like this? Na that flat ass you dey tell men to like? lipsrsealed

Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by OsusuMustFlow(f): 9:42am On Nov 10, 2016
grin grin grin grin

blackpanda:
Its too late to cry. Just manage am
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 10, 2016
So how did he win .

Who voted for him...? may be spirits.

Or was MAURICE IWU invited ....?
Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by omostar: 10:59am On Nov 10, 2016
adult91:

Do you mean these people? Because as far as I know 99% of Americans were immigrants

Re: Trump Election Victory Prompts Protests Across US by DONSMITH123(m): 12:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Hillary Clinton Got Millions More Votes Than Donald Trump / America Is Bleeding / Top Kenyan Politician Caught Unclad With Lover In A Viral Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.