Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,067 members, 7,890,509 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:11 PM

N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos (2905 Views)

NAFDAC Arrests Man Behind Distribution Of Fake De Rica Tomato / PHOTO:NAFDAC Seizes Expired Dunone Yogurt And Intercepts Truckload Of Fake Wines / NAFDAC Intercepts And Seizes 4*40ft & 1*20ft Containers Of Fake Drugs At Apapa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 5:03am On Nov 02, 2009
Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) makes big catch: Impounds N31m consignment of fake soap
By IKENNA EMEWU

Saturday, October 31, 2009
This week, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) took a step further in its drive to stamp out product faking when it intercepted a container load of soap faked and imported into the country.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/31/sun/BORODO[1].jpg[/img]

Alhaji Borodo, MAN president

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/31/510.html

The product was impounded by the MAN and ECOWAS joint inter-border patrol in the wee hours of October 27 at about 1.20Am at the Seme Border.

A team of ECOWAS security patrol, MAN agencies and the police intercepted the consignment on its way to the Balogun International Market at the Trade Fair Complex Lagos. The importer, Ola Ayeni was arrested and taken to the Ijanikin ECOWAS Security Patrol area office on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway. Security authorities say the accused fake product importer would be charged to court immediately investigation by the police is concluded.

The goods valued at about N31m is a fake version of Unilever’s popular brand – Sunlight Soap which the company recently re-branded.

In his confessional statement to the security operatives, MAN said Ayeni admitted that he had intended to capitalise on the repackaging and re-launch of the product to bring in the fake ones produced outside the country.

The imported fake product was cleared in one of the ports of a West African countries and was spotted at the Aflawo and Lakonji borders before being traced to Seme where the operatives were sure it was bound for the Nigeria market.

The seizure would be about the sixth time since May this year with goods of over N800m involved.

The intensified raid of the borders is a product of an integrated effort of the ECOWAS countries in forming a joint security task force that works with the local security outfits of the member states to fight drug/product faking which the MAN spokesperson said is like a disease to the economies of the involved nations.

The latest arrest was facilitated by the ECOWAS team in conjunction with the Nigeria Police at Alagbon Close, Lagos.

MAN told press men in a chat after the arrest that it has “started the fight against product fakers who frustrate the efforts of our members to fix the nation’s economy and we can’t stop.

“We have found out that these enemies of the manufacturers and the nation are unrepentant and that is why we have stepped up the fight against their activities. We will not relent in fighting them and their plots to kill manufacturing in Nigeria. Even if these men are importing genuine products, we can’t still compare the importance and contribution of manufacturing to that of importation. But worst of all, they fake and import sub-standard and unsafe consumer goods into country thereby endangering the lives of citizens and stopping the economy from growing. You would bear me witness that a citizen who could be so heartless to fake Nigerian manufacturers’ products and take the undue profit from it cannot pay even tax to the government. In the long run, he does not only make no contribution to the economy, but also stops those that contribute. That is the reason we have resolved to fight them from all fronts.

“The good news is that the stakeholders have seen the need to tackle the problem and they are all playing key roles in making the war a big success. The police have been wonderful and even the SSS and the ECOWAS security team have all played vital roles”.

MAN advised Nigerians not to patronize these products, as they are unsafe and unknown to NAFDAC that should regulate standards and qualities to know what is safe for consumption. The body also enjoined Nigerians to assist MAN and the other agencies to stamp out this threat by reporting fakers and dealers in products that have no NAFDAC accreditation number to the police or the MAN office for appropriate action.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by chika98: 5:04am On Nov 02, 2009
Nothing wey persin on go hear . Fake soap?
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 5:06am On Nov 02, 2009
Poverty makes people buy cheap stuff hence the fake items. Fake soap is still better than fake drugs.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by chika98: 5:09am On Nov 02, 2009
Nnabros always causing commotion on NL.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Nov 02, 2009
e wo tun ni fake soap? grin cheesy
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by IGWEUSA(m): 5:25am On Nov 02, 2009
When the market is already overfloaded with fake drugs . . . . Why should one be surprised to hear about the importation of fake soap.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Nobody: 5:40am On Nov 02, 2009
fuckers will soon start bringing in fake condoms - if they haven't already
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 5:45am On Nov 02, 2009
Another importer that refused to bribe in the net. . .
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by mekuslogan: 5:46am On Nov 02, 2009
Yoruba fake soap importer. Another one down.

@AloyEmeka
Fake soap is not better than fake drugs. It can cause skin cancer. It can cause internal problems when soap sod/foam is swallowed by minors during bath. It can blind your eyes. It is as good/bad as fake drugs.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 5:49am On Nov 02, 2009
mekuslogan:

@AloyEmeka
Fake soap is not better than fake drugs. It can cause skin cancer. It can cause internal problems when soap sod/foam is swallowed by minors during bath. It can blind your eyes. It is as good/bad as fake drugs.

i guess u now wanna pin this on a particular tribe as usual?
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Nobody: 5:55am On Nov 02, 2009
I tire o! Wat has tribe got 2 do wit importation of fake products? Abeg make una helep me ask am.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 5:57am On Nov 02, 2009
daralex007:

I tire o! Wat has tribe got 2 do wit importation of fake products? Abeg make una helep me ask am.
it is just pathetically pathetic
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by mekuslogan: 5:58am On Nov 02, 2009
Tribe has got to do with it because Yoruba people always attribute fake products to Igbos. This is despite the fact that the ''my pikin'' teething powder that killed hundreds was manufactured by Yoruba, plus this very incidence, and, of course, many other unnoticed ones. My point is to emphasize that fake products can be imported by anybody.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 6:07am On Nov 02, 2009
mekuslogan:

@AloyEmeka

You have to use it continuously for a prolonged period of time before it can have those effects but fake drugs can kill you instantly and it doesn't matter if it is the first time you are taking it. So, fake soap and fake condoms are still better than fake drugs.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 02, 2009
Lol!
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 6:31am On Nov 02, 2009
MekusLogan suddenly turns to Dr Abalaka because of fake soap.  grin grin
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by mekuslogan: 9:36pm On Nov 02, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You have to use it continuously for a prolonged period of time before it can have those effects but fake drugs can kill you instantly and it doesn't matter if it is the first time you are taking it. So, fake soap and fake condoms are still better than fake drugs.

What do you know? It depends on the concentrations and the state of the fake ingredients. For e.g., 10 ppm of reduced lead can kill you instantly. Do you know what the fake soap contains? Do you know if there is lead, arsenite, ricin, etc in there? These are very lethal substances that act at micro amounts. I am talking from experience as an environmental chemist. OK!

Plus, the soap will definitely be cheap so each buyer will certainly purchase many at the same time. Do the math.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by collins123(m): 9:48pm On Nov 02, 2009
E don happen!

Fake soaps, what for? To wash dead body ni?

I pity the unsuspecting victims. Abeg shey soap dey get Nafdac Number?

Na which kind soap dem dey talk about self, body soap, native soap or bleaching soap.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 9:50pm On Nov 02, 2009
Topic. . .
Nigeria and fake products. . .
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 5:23am On Nov 03, 2009
mekuslogan:

What do you know? It depends on the concentrations and the state of the fake ingredients. For e.g., 10 ppm of reduced lead can kill you instantly. Do you know what the fake soap contains? Do you know if there is lead, arsenite, ricin, etc in there? These are very lethal substances that act at micro amounts. I am talking from experience as an environmental chemist. OK!

Plus, the soap will definitely be cheap so each buyer will certainly purchase many at the same time. Do the math.

It cannot contain those things because it will make the cost of production go higher. The soap contains okitipupa palm oil, fake glycerin and little sodium.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by onyengbu1(m): 9:03am On Nov 03, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

It cannot contain those things because it will make the cost of production go higher. The soap contains okitipupa palm oil, fake glycerin and little sodium.

Remember it was imported. And they did not say it was imported from either Malasia (who also has oil) or Okitipupa. grin
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by emiemi(f): 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2009
Like someone said, fake soap is beta than fake drugs but why must we allow fake products into our country?

It only means some guys at the custom office aren't doing what they are being paid to do. I recently heard

about the fake drugs again. For goodness sake, why are we soooo greedy for gain? The punishemnt for
this kinda crime should be grave to deter others. That is money doesn't pass under the table o undecided
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by otokx(m): 1:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
So someone will wake up and import fake sunlight into Nigeria; this is bad.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by mrofficial(m): 2:02pm On Nov 03, 2009
oyb:

There are fake condoms already. It happened to me tongue

The condom tore and I was able to observe it, i used all the pack that night and they did tear.

So i kuku skin.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by koolchicco: 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2009
mr.official:

The condom tore and I was able to observe it, i used all the pack that night and they did tear.

So i kuku skin.

WHAT? U kuku skin Baba, abeg go do test oo. shocked shocked
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by freezy(m): 2:47pm On Nov 03, 2009
mekuslogan:

The  fact that it was called fake soap does not mean it contains those heavy metals, bros. More often than not, Materials are called fake when the concentrations are not up to standard. Simple saponification of fats results in soap. Saponification is also used to reduce the toxic effects of heavy metals.

So if water is used to put out fire, how can you decide to fuel the fire by pouring water?
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by koolchicco: 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2009
oyb:

Lmao grin grin grin

Fhemmmy:

Another importer that refused to bribe in the net. . .

Exactly.

Fhemmmy:

it is just pathetically pathetic

Bros, to pun sweet u pass. grin undecided
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Nezan(m): 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2009
This is just bad!
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by chase4(m): 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2009
Now that it is clear that fake product importers are not only from a particular tribe, can we move on to not being tribalistic when issues like these come on ? undecided

Thank God it was intercepted.
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2009
oyb:

shocked shocked
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2009
bawomolo:

shocked shocked

better bring in your genuine durex when next you're coming home grin grin
Re: N31m Worth Of Fake Soap Inpounded In Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 5:40pm On Nov 03, 2009
mr.official:

The condom tore and I was able to observe it, i used all the pack that  night and they did tear.

So i kuku skin.

How do you make a fake condom?. They are so cheap that it will cost you the same amount to produce fake ones. I think the condoms you bought were genuine. The problem is with your John Thomas and not the condoms. Shave properly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Risk Of Having Too Much Sex – You Really Need To See This! (must See ) / The Last Facebook Message From Nigeria Nurse That Died Of Ebola / How Lack Of Sleep Will Break You Down (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.