Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,985 members, 7,890,235 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:28 AM

SQL Table Normalization - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / SQL Table Normalization (1447 Views)

Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial / Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For / Urgent Help Needed On How To Save Fingerprint To Sql Using U Are U 4500 And Java (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SQL Table Normalization by geek01: 3:55am On Nov 12, 2016
I have been learning normaliztion recently, and after watching a couple of videos, I tried to normalize a random sql table I found online. I am still not really sure if I am right, but could someone please double-check my solution for 2NF (Not really sure how to continue to 3NF). If possible please also do roughly convert this 1NF to 3NF. Thanks in advance
Re: SQL Table Normalization by klazbaba(m): 4:31pm On Nov 12, 2016
In other to normalize the table to 1NF, ensure the attributes have ONLY atomic domains. So, we'll need to expand the table so it contains more rows.

Since the table is already in 1NF, we now make it to 2NF. And to achieve this, we need ensure the non-prime keys are fully dependent on the candidate key. We'll need to split this table into 3. The first should contain mission number and mission date. The second table should contain Agency Number, Lead Agency and Country. And the third table should contain the remaining attributes.

As for the 3NF, the only transitive dependency evident to me is in the third table and that is between Equipment and Total weight. So for the 3NF, we'll add a fourth table containing only Item weight and Total weight.
Re: SQL Table Normalization by Nel4243: 5:29pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mission_Equipment table:
Mission no., Mission date, Equipment,

Agency table:
Agency no., Lead agency, Country,

Weight table:
Qty, Weight, Total weight,
Re: SQL Table Normalization by blluss21: 3:02pm On Nov 19, 2016
Database Normalisation is a technique of organizing the data in the database. Normalization is a systematic approach of decomposing tables to eliminate data redundancy and undesirable characteristics like Insertion, Update and Deletion Anamolies. It is a multi-step process that puts data into tabular form by removing duplicated data from the relation tables.Check this link to better understand

https://www.mindstick.com/Articles/855/introduction-to-database-normalization

http://agiledata.org/essays/dataNormalization.html

I hope it will help you

Thanks smiley

(1) (Reply)

Need Help On This / CCNA Exam / Linux Boot-problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.