Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,893 members, 7,883,124 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 01:27 AM

Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy (517 Views)

8 Fun Things To Do When You Have Writer's Block / Alive In The Melody, Music And Remedy. / The Easiest Ways To Avoid Writer's Block Or Lack Of Content Syndrome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy by pressplay411(m): 8:54am On Nov 13, 2016
Every writer knows what I'm talking about.
Even the Legendary William Shakespeare hit brick may a times when he tried to force his pen into action.
There are days when creatives are just not feeling very creative.

What causes this and how do you overcome it?
Every opinion counts.

Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy by Lleigh(f): 5:26am On Nov 20, 2016
Pressplay411

I do the following sometimes it helps.

work on something else ie another piece of work .

Take myself away somewhere quiet and commune with my inner self. Aka talk in my head

If all that fails I just write....sometimes something brilliant comes out of the gibberish.

But don't stop writing

Divepen1 please add your pearls of wisdom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy by Divepen1(m): 6:07am On Nov 20, 2016
Lleigh:
Pressplay411

I do the following sometimes it helps.

work on something else ie another piece of work .

Take myself away somewhere quiet and commune with my inner self. Aka talk in my head

If all that fails I just write....sometimes something brilliant comes out of the gibberish.

But don't stop writing

Divepen1 please add your pearls of wisdom

People can hype ehn...
lol

okay .. Writer's block to me comes when we keep planning that story and keep imagining it. Also, it comes when a writer stops doing any of these three
1. Writing
2. Rewriting
3. Reading.

The remedy... I seat in front of my phone and type away then stop when it stop flowing. Also, I write on paper unending till I'm tired. Also, now a days I post short stories on Instagram. I just write anything.
Anything until it conforms to something good..

The best remedy is reading. Read others works, they inspire you to write..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy by pressplay411(m): 8:42pm On Nov 20, 2016
Divepen1:

People can hype ehn...
lol

okay .. Writer's block to me comes when we keep planning that story and keep imagining it. Also, it comes when a writer stops doing any of these three
1. Writing
2. Rewriting
3. Reading.

The remedy... I seat in front of my phone and type away then stop when it stop flowing. Also, I write on paper unending till I'm tired. Also, now a days I post short stories on Instagram. I just write anything.
Anything until it conforms to something good..

The best remedy is reading. Read others works, they inspire you to write..

You literarily hit the nail on the head.
Sometimes forcing it (writing under duress) only compounds it.
So like you said, reading smthg new just my be the jolt the mind needs to unravel itself.

Sometimes I just need a word or phrase and it just connects itself. I don't know if I'm making sense but what I mean is I might have no direction and just let the words pour and guide me.
Re: Writer's Block; Cause And Remedy by Divepen1(m): 8:53pm On Nov 20, 2016
pressplay411:

You literarily hit the nail on the head.
Sometimes forcing it (writing under duress) only compounds it.
So like you said, reading smthg new just my be the jolt the mind needs to unravel itself.

Sometimes I just need a word or phrase and it just connects itself. I don't know if I'm making sense but what I mean is I might have no direction and just let the words pour and guide me.

Then read this writing prompts

https://olofoforeview./2016/11/20/writing-prompts-random-lines/

(1) (Reply)

Book Review: Kingdom Tales By Charles Umerie / There Is Beautiful Then There Is You / Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.