Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,458 members, 7,881,624 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 03:32 AM

SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? (1154 Views)

Video: APC Party Members Engage In Free-for-all Fight AT Non-elective Convention / I Will Never Seek Elective Office Again, Says Ibb / Dual Citizens Have No Future In Any Elective Office In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? by mowapa(m): 3:43am On Jan 05, 2007
I seriously believe the next IG shouldn't come from the rank of our current police leaders. the president should look outside the force to appoint either a retired officer of the army or advertise internationally like Mexico did with the former mayor of NY Rudolph Giuliani and sign a contract to conduct a review of policing and criminal justice and make recommendation. Mexico police like ours were poorly trained, ill equipped  and unable to stand up to political bosses and criminals, organized crime. NIGERIA POLICE like Mexican police is a serious, multi-layered one of corruption, ineffectiveness, unaccountability and brutality. There are, however opportunities for change, as new administrations at all levels, will be voted in soon, our leaders should begin to recognize that they need to seek new models for policing, or risk losing voter support.Intimidation, torture and extortion of detainees are entrenched practices in Nigeria criminal justice. This is not simply because of “bad apples” in the police forces. Instead, the criminal justice system maintains incentives for the police to coerce statements out of defendants or witnesses – in other words, as the Mexican saying goes, “police detain in order to investigate, rather than investigate in order to detain. In Nigeria you are guilty until proven innocent
Re: SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? by mowapa(m): 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2007
The campaign rallies of the ANPP presidential candidate in Bauchi State were also restricted to only two streets - Wunti Road and Azare Road - in Bauchi town even as the police insisted that Buhari must fly into the state with an aircraft or helicopter and not by road.

These were disclosed to newsmen in Abuja by the Secretary to the ANPP Presidential Campaign Organi-sation, Eng. Buba Galadima. He said the explanation of the police was that if he should go to the state by road, the crowd of supporters that follow him could cause security breach.

According to Galadima, “Police permits for rallies obtained seven days ago for the ANPP presidential rallies meant for March 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th 2007 in Gombe, Nasarawa, Plateau and Bauchi States have been withdrawn by the police for a flimsy reason that the governors of these states want to undergo tours of some local governments.”

I seriously believe the top hierarchy the NPF has been compromised by politics,its time for a change on how we select our I.G[/color][color=#990000]
Re: SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? by mowapa(m): 12:28pm On Mar 11, 2007
Apparently the politicians do read this tread. This is what governor Kalu has to say:

On his blueprint for the nation, Kalu promised to amend the relevant laws that would make the positions of Inspector General of Police and Commissioners of Police elective.
He reasoned that such a shift would ensure that the police stay loyal to the electorate and not the government in power as it obtains now

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/mar/11/national-11-03-2007-01.htm
Re: SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? by Bankole01(m): 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2007
The job of IG should be opened to all interested and qualified law enforcement officers from all over the world. They should however be of Nigerian descent. Nigerian Police has a policy that only officers who attended police College in nigeria will be allowed to become officers. What Ibelieve is they are afraid of law enforcement officers in say the US or Britain could be better trained than they are, and therefore have a better chance of becoming an IG. It should also be left for the ploice commision to advertise, test and select the best qualified candidates for the office. this will make the head police officer independent of manipulations by the federal executives and politicians at large.
Re: SHOULD WE MAKE THE I G POSITION ELECTIVE OR SELECTIVE? by mowapa(m): 3:59pm On Mar 11, 2007
@ Bankole01

I cannot agree more with your comment, as a person with a degree in Criminal Justice and a Nigerian, the position of management in the police force should be attainable to me and others that may have the requisite talent and qualification . In the pursuit of my job, I have met and discussed with Nigerians who are highly placed in the American criminal/justice system that would be a boom to our police to work and make use of their expertise and I'm not talking about academics here but field officers

(1) (Reply)

Diesel To Be Subsidized / One Of The Best Articles On Efcc, Ribadu And Politics. / Ghana, 4 other african countries invited to G8; Nigeria Snubbed Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.