Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,602 members, 7,878,729 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:33 AM

Good News: Igbo Physician, Omalu Receives Highest Medical Award In US - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Good News: Igbo Physician, Omalu Receives Highest Medical Award In US (545 Views)

Mention The Good News That Made You Lose Your Appetite / Bennet Ifeakandu Omalu / The Greatest Physician - Dr Paul Enenche ( Seeds Of Destiny Devotional) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Good News: Igbo Physician, Omalu Receives Highest Medical Award In US by hayze(m): 5:25pm On Nov 15, 2016
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) was first diagnosed in an NFL player in 2002, and it has since been confirmed by postmortem examination in dozens of American athletes. The physician who made the initial discovery, forensic neuropathologist Bennet I. Omalu, MD, MBA, MPH, overcame massive efforts to discredit him and his research, and today CTE is widely recognized as a health risk in millions of patients with histories of repetitive brain trauma, including military veterans. The AMA on Saturday honored Dr. Omalu with its Distinguished Service Award during the opening session of the 2016 AMA Interim Meeting, in Orlando, Fla.
Dr. Omalu was working as a forensic neuropathologist in Pittsburgh when he conducted postmortem examinations of former NFL offensive lineman Mike Webster’s brain and spotted what would become the hallmarks of CTE.
“[W]hen I looked at his brain and he had diffuse amyloid plaques everywhere and there were no neuritic plaques … I took the slides home with me,” Dr. Omalu said in a 2015 interview. “I spent six months with those slides. I saw tau randomly situated, and not reminiscent of any other dementia that I knew. My first reaction, when I went to the literature, was that I expected to find previous reports like this, but I didn’t find even one.”
He had the case published in 2005 and went on to identify CTE in postmortem examinations of numerous other former NFL players.
Dr. Omalu initially thought the league would be pleased more details http://www.possitt.com/2016/11/good-news-igbo-physician-omalu-receives.html#more

(1) (Reply)

. / Proud Crayfish Seller Undergraduate Get Noticed By Former Minister Of Education / Five Electrocuted, As Fireworks Cut High Tension Wire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.