Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,423 members, 7,920,611 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 10:09 AM

Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! (3235 Views)

Ilorin-jebba Road Under Serious Construction (pictures) / Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports / Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by toshacer: 9:32pm On Nov 03, 2009
Contract awarded- I am sure some diasporians will scream this is a waste of time and money. 10 months completion date. wow.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by OAM4J: 12:16am On Nov 04, 2009
source pls.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by babapupa: 12:30am On Nov 04, 2009
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by OAM4J: 12:34am On Nov 04, 2009
fingers crossed. undecided
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by redsun(m): 12:40am On Nov 04, 2009
Chinese again,what happed to nigerian engineering firms and engineers?

1 Like

Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by redsun(m): 12:48am On Nov 04, 2009
If a vital project like rail line rehabilitation can cost 13.5 billion naira and you think of the money bode george stole,eighty-four billion naira and got away with two years jail sentence,one can't help but conclude that nigeria is really a rogue state.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by proudly9ja(m): 12:48am On Nov 04, 2009
tosh_acer:

Contract awarded- I am sure some diasporians will scream this is a waste of time and money. 10 months completion date. wow.

While I will not term it as a waste of money I will definitely term it as a waste of time!

It will also do well if you modify the title to Railway Rehabilitation not Railway Modernisation.

Obj awarded a contract to the Chinese company way back in 2007 before he handed over. The contract was to MODERNIZE the railway via the same routes while giving us standard guage tracks. The project was to last 2 and a half years and if they had started then, would have been completed now. Infact OBJ paid billions of naira upfront to the chinese coy.

Yaradua in his wisdom cancelled the contract. In doing that, we lost the billions OBJ paid upfront as it was non-refundable. Now Yardua also in his wisdom has offered the contract to THE SAME chinese coy but instead of MODERNISING the railway, he is rehabilitating. For those who read the original article in the link given, you will realise that Nigerian Railway is over a hundred years old. In those hundred years, all we have done is Rehabilitate our tracks. With OBJ's effort, we would have had modern, fast trains by now. However, with this new method, we will have the same locomotives we have always had (the Yaradua govt just ordered for new set of locomotives some months back). And not oly that, we are paying the same chinese coy TWICE but this time, they are doing a lesser job!

If not because the ordinary Nigerian on the street will benefit from a working Railway, I would have also termed it a waste of money. The whole world is moving forward, do we have to remain on the same spot and thus seem to be moving backwards to the rest of the world
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by OAM4J: 1:33am On Nov 04, 2009
^^^
I was waiting for somebody to note the difference. We are only rehabilitating the existing lines built more than 50yrs ago. This is 2009 for God's sake. and the best Yar'adua can offers us are still the locomotive trains. It's bad news.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by toshacer: 1:51am On Nov 04, 2009
@Proudly9ja

Most of your submission are completely false. The money paid b4 is still part of the contract fees for this new one.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by Beaf: 1:55am On Nov 04, 2009
tosh_acer:

Fools talk like you embarassed

Singapore got their independence after Nigeria. They are now a DEVELOPED COUNTRY.
They are at the forefront of computer controlled, driverless trains. While you are proud of prehistoric technology being delivered within 10 months.

Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by Fhemmmy: 2:52am On Nov 04, 2009
If they will actually do it, it will be a good project.
I hope they will work out some kinda maintenance out as well.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:54am On Nov 04, 2009
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it that the Chinese had reneged on the agreement that they had signed under OBJ to modernize the railway system in Nigeria?
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by Fhemmmy: 4:29am On Nov 04, 2009
As long as it was FG that awarded the contract, they dont care, it is always ways for them to enrich themselves, but let us hope that they will actually make it happy this time, at least that will ease some traffic off the highways.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by toshacer: 9:49am On Nov 04, 2009
Honestly speaking, most of you are so far away with happenings at home that it beats me hollow why you have to come here to write about what you dont know. Search on google for details about the Nigerian railway project and read the story as it was then, and as it is now.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by KnowAll(m): 10:01am On Nov 04, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-344002.0.html

Look at what South Africa is building for the world cup next year, compared that to the 1940's and 1950's technology Nigeria is eargely embracing in 2009.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by citizenY(m): 11:25am On Nov 04, 2009
Tosh- ACer,

What is your problem with our people in the diaspora? Do you realise that you are also in the diaspora the moment you
leave your hamlet? Let these guys be. I expect you to produce threads enjoining them to represent us well and inform
us of current trends of doing things and their assessment of how we can adapt them, or modify them to aid our development.

please, please.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by proudly9ja(m): 1:36pm On Nov 04, 2009
tosh,

Noone hates Nigeria. Everyone is as frustrated as the next person the way things are being done by our leaders.

You should take a trip to Ghana, not even UK or US, just Ghana and then you will understand how big for nothing we are as a Nation. Do you know your leaders asked the Ghanian Electoral Commission chairman to come and teach them how to hold free and fair elections? Didn't we hold one in June 1993 in our own country?
That is just an aside.

I understand that you want to focus on the good things happening in Nigeria, no problem. However, let us not be deluded by the mediocrity government is selling to us cos we can do better. Recently we just heard how a man was jailed for stealing 84billion naira. The rail contract you are screaming about costs about 20billion. If the 84 billion stolen by that man and billions shared at Aso Rock everyday is expended, we will have one of the best rail systems in the world! However, your leaders know that Nigerians will take anything thrown at them and that is what we should stand up against. I assure you, the only reason they are doing this rehabilitation is because of the elections coming up in 2 years time. What have they been doing since 2007? they were busy cancelling OBJ's contracts and setting up committees to steal money (Elumelu quickly comes to mind).

Finally, please disabuse your mind from this Nigerians in Diaspora, Nigerians in Nigeria rubbish. Its what they throw to us to make us keep fighting within ourselves so we don't speak with one voice the same way they throw the ethnic and tribal bone to us. Its the same blood that flows through us. We are all Nigerians whether I am in Nigeria or Ghana or Russia or the UK or US. It is your money, my money and our collective sweat that they share at Aso Rock and Government ouses all around the federation. It is the future of OUR country that they are mortgaging and thats why we must speak with ONE voice.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by omar22(m): 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2009
WHY ARE WE MORDERNISING OLD RAILWAY TRACKS

I work for a railway industry in the uk and I know the life span of each rail track, Now bringing in a high speed trains and put them on those tracks thats been their during colonial days is risky, well the government dont care whether theirs a derailment or a major incident on the service
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by bioye(m): 2:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
What's the update on this project, please?
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by anonimi: 1:48am On Jul 21, 2014
Any PICTORIAL update on this project
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by seanet01: 2:26am On Jul 21, 2014
Ten month never reach
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by Noctec: 4:00am On Jul 21, 2014
Singapore got their independence after Nigeria. They are now a DEVELOPED COUNTRY.

Because they are focused.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by otokx(m): 7:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Time is an incorruptible judge.
Re: Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:21am On Jul 21, 2014
Celebrating mediocrity....

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Founder, Ali Modu Sheriff Concludes Plan To Start New Airline! / PHCN Ordered To Restore Power In Sokoto / President Jonathan Missed The Point On The Missing N30 Trillion - Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.