Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,386 members, 7,881,392 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:26 PM

First Impression - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Impression (1652 Views)

When U Meet Ur Girfriends Parents For D 1st Time & U Want 2mk A Gud Impression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Impression by yvesboss(m): 10:13pm On Nov 18, 2016
OK Fam..

Here is the gist..

I got into a conversation with my bro recently and he was fuming about this tailor he gave a fabric to sew for him and hasnt delivered after the agreed date. He concluded that since that was the first time he patronized the guy, he guy did not make a good first impression and he wasnt gonna patronise him again.

My Response...First Impression does not matter.

Here is my premise...I grew to discover first impression is just an irrational criteria of judging a person or situation.

Let me relate two incidence.

1st..in my first year as an undergrad, there was a short guy called Temmy...I saw him first on a sunday morning after church service when he was talking rudely to a lady which i suspect was his girlfriend..immediately, i formed my opinion. 'This is a very unruly person i will never have anything to do with,' i said to myself. Fastforward three year later, i had a friend who was his friend and we became close, only after then i discovered i had judged him wrongly for three years and he is actually somebody with a very kind heart. Out of curiousity i asked him about the very incident and he related to me how angry he was at the lady and that moment was one of his off period....I had judged him on his off period..hmmm

2nd...was in my second year, Oyinda just joined the class..and from her carriage, gadget and dressing, you will know that she is from a wealthy background..Because of her reserved manner, most of the guys including myself formed an opinion..'she must be a snob and very cocky' ...Fastforward to final year, we became friends and i must say that half of the business ideas i executed that year was from our business conversation. In actual fact, she wasnt cocky..She is a very reserved personality with a great entrpreneural drive...First impression denied me of a fabulous friendship for those years.

Back to the conversation with my brother, i told him you cant really condemn the tailor yet only if you know that it was his negligence that made him not deliver as agreed. You never can tell what trouble he may have faced within that time frame..his wife may be in labour..his son sour ill..anything might have happened. I told him i see this from the fact that i am not perfect as such i dont expect anyone to be perfect around me. Everyone deserves a second chance.

But then, the question is how about those that never had the opportunity for a second chance.

So Fam..Let me know your thoughts on first impression. Have you ever been wrongly judged at first impression?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2016
sad
Re: First Impression by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
This is an interesting topic worth discussing.

First impression matters but it's not enough to make final judgement.

what if you have preconceived notions of someone you're meeting for the first time and unfortunately the person's persona doesn't match up?

what if the person was in a bad mood?

but in business and official matters, first impression matters a great deal.

3 Likes

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 9:44pm On Nov 20, 2016
Joavid:
This is an interesting topic worth discussing.

First impression matters but it's not enough to make final judgement.

what if you have preconceived notions of someone you're meeting for the first time and unfortunately the person's persona doesn't match up?

what if the person was in a bad mood?

but in business and official matters, first impression matters a great deal.

I agree with you...I have been reading several texts on first impression..it kinda puts one under pressure to impress when meeting another person for the first time..Societal pressure i guess
Re: First Impression by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 20, 2016
yvesboss:

I agree with you...I have been reading several texts on first impression..it kinda puts one under pressure to impress when meeting another person for the first time..Societal pressure i guess

I won't say it's societal pressure.

Every mentally healthy human wants to impress. It's natural.
some people take it to the extreme though.

so, we put the pressures on ourselves. Na we humans make up society Na, no be ghost grin
Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2016
Joavid:

I won't say it's societal pressure.

Every mentally healthy human wants to impress. It's natural.
some people take it to the extreme though.

so, we put the pressures on ourselves. Na we humans make up society Na, no be ghost grin

Lol..yea got that
Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 8:28am On Apr 14, 2017
smiley smiley
Re: First Impression by Blissquare(f): 8:33am On Apr 14, 2017
First impressions can be so far from the truth but then we shd keep in mind that first impressions last long. Nice post.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 4:57pm On Apr 14, 2017
Blissquare:
First impressions can be so far from the truth but then we shd keep in mind that first impressions last long. Nice post.

Thanks...so have you ever been judged wrongly on first impression?
Re: First Impression by Acidosis(m): 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2017
First impression is crap; you can ask MMM.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by sisisioge: 6:16pm On Apr 14, 2017
First impression is really an unfair premises to base one's opinion about a person on. However, we tend to subconsciously base our opinions about people or objects on it anyways. We can't help it, it is the first thing we see.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 7:59pm On Apr 14, 2017
Acidosis:
First impression is crap; you can ask MMM.

Funny, talking about MMM, whats your first impression about it?
Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 8:00pm On Apr 14, 2017
sisisioge:
First impression is really an unfair premises to base one's opinion about a person on. However, we tend to subconsciously base our opinions about people or objects on it anyways. We can't help it, it is the first thing we see.

Yea.. really unfair. Have you been wrongly judged on first impression?
Re: First Impression by ifyalways(f): 8:17pm On Apr 14, 2017
Depends. undecided

First impression on a business transaction will determine if i'll ever come back, BUT yet, humans can be so unpredictable when it comes to money.

Judging a character? Yes, to first contact leaving a lasting impression on me. Sometimes, it ain't fair anyway as you might have caught the person on a wrong day or be in a sour mood yourself.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by sisisioge: 8:24pm On Apr 14, 2017
yvesboss:

Yea.. really unfair. Have you been wrongly judged on first impression?

Yes. I hadn't even met the person physically. We exchanged about two mails and he completely formed the impression that I was scary, caustic mouthed, vain and extremely rude. He wouldn't risk being within a mile radius of me grin grin Not his fault...I was in a bad mood. I'm usually amiable but that day, I couldn't stop bullying the poor guy. He started out by ticking me off though grin Thank God, it was visual... I don't dig the negative impression one bit.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 8:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
ifyalways:
Depends. undecided

First impression on a business transaction will determine if i'll ever come back, BUT yet, humans can be so unpredictable when it comes to money.

Judging a character? Yes, to first contact leaving a lasting impression on me. Sometimes, it ain't fair anyway as you might have caught the person on a wrong day or be in a sour mood yourself.

Ok I get your point..but how do you feel when you discover a potential business partner had wrongly judged you on first impression?

Maybe at that time, you kinda forgot to be in your best behavior..how will you feel?
Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 8:59pm On Apr 14, 2017
sisisioge:

Yes. I hadn't even met the person physically. We exchanged about two mails and he completely formed the impression that I was scary, caustic mouthed, vain and extremely rude. He wouldn't risk being within a mile radius of me grin grin Not his fault...I was in a bad mood. I'm usually amiable but that day, I couldn't stop bullying the poor guy. He started out by ticking me off though grin Thank God, it was visual... I don't dig the negative impression one bit.

Lol..that may be from the tone of your mail.

I remembered when an intern replied my mail saying i was rude because i did not start my message with 'Hi Bleep' . Now the impression i got was that this guy is so unruly and that may dictate the way i relate with him, however, taking my time to understand the fellow, he became my best buddy up to the time he left the firm. I chose not to judge him on first impression and i feel kinda concerned when i am being judged wrongly on first impression.
Re: First Impression by Acidosis(m): 9:33pm On Apr 14, 2017
yvesboss:

Funny, talking about MMM, whats your first impression about it?

One thing about business is that even scammers understand the dynamic of first impression. A scammer that knows you will certainly come back will give you a good impression on a trial order/service/deal. Great scammers ensure you earn their trust before they show you the true colour. I have seen this play out over and over.

Meanwhile in business, character and interpersonal relationship is EVERYTHING. A good businessman will portray a good relationship with his/her customer even if he lost 1trillion dollars the previous day.

The problem with us when it comes to other nonbusiness relationship is that we tend to judge people from afar. Majority of those we felt had bad attitude turned out to be the best friends and most trusted pals we ever had.

Now to your question, I have always known that MMM like any other ponzi scheme will crash. However, the impression they gave reflected a long lasting scheme. The feedback members got didn't seem like it was going to crash in just 12 months.

The first impression thing has caused a lot of disappointment, havoc and disaster. Politicians also understand this fact, reason some try to impress the citizens in their first tenure. Reelect them and you'll see the hidden monsters.

1 Like

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 10:09pm On Apr 14, 2017
Acidosis:

One thing about business is that even scammers understand the dynamic of first impression. A scammer that knows you will certainly come back will give you a good impression on a trial order/service/deal. Great scammers ensure you earn their trust before they show you the true colour. I have seen this play out over and over.

Meanwhile in business, character and interpersonal relationship is EVERYTHING. A good businessman will portray a good relationship with his/her customer even if he lost 1trillion dollars the previous day.

The problem with us when it comes to other nonbusiness relationship is that we tend to judge people from afar. Majority of those we felt had bad attitude turned out to be the best friends and most trusted pals we ever had.

Now to your question, I have always known that MMM like any other ponzi scheme will crash. However, the impression they gave reflected a long lasting scheme. The feedback members got didn't seem like it was going to crash in just 12 months.

The first impression thing has caused a lot of disappointment, havoc and disaster. Politicians also understand this fact, reason some try to impress the citizens in their first tenure. Reelect them and you'll see the hidden monsters.

Mehn seriously i cant agree less with you. one question, when meeting someone for the first time, do you consciously try to make a nice first impression? official and non-official scenarios?
Re: First Impression by Acidosis(m): 10:44pm On Apr 14, 2017
yvesboss:

Mehn seriously i cant agree less with you. one question, when meeting someone for the first time, do you consciously try to make a nice first impression? official and non-official scenarios?

Officially, I try to create a good impression without faking anything. Most times, I under promise, and try as much as possible to exceed expectations. I'm also aware that you cannot satisfy everyone, it doesn't matter how much you try.

The nature of my work deprive me of plenty physical meetings, and since I relate better in virtual environments, I have learnt to effect the positive tactics. For instance, one way to retain a customer online is to provide swift responses. What customers want online is attention. There is a likelihood that a customer will be retained if you reply all his queries in seconds/minutes. These are proven socio marketing metrics.

As regards unofficial scenarios, I try to be f00lishly nice to everyone at all times. I don't do confrontations.

I will not confront you if you steal my N10m

because

I know you won't live to spend a kobo from it grin

In summary, I play along a lot. While I already know you're a scammer, I will still play along and even cook for you.. grin
I will make you believe the money you ask for to effect that fraudulent scheme will be paid to your account first thing tomorrow morning. Just ensure you have plenty airtime to call me, and stay awake all night expecting raw cash from a "mumu" boy.

I bite only on Nairaland smiley

1 Like

Re: First Impression by yvesboss(m): 4:37pm On Apr 15, 2017
Acidosis:

Officially, I try to create a good impression without faking anything. Most times, I under promise, and try as much as possible to exceed expectations. I'm also aware that you cannot satisfy everyone, it doesn't matter how much you try.

The nature of my work deprive me of plenty physical meetings, and since I relate better in virtual environments, I have learnt to effect the positive tactics. For instance, one way to retain a customer online is to provide swift responses. What customers want online is attention. There is a likelihood that a customer will be retained if you reply all his queries in seconds/minutes. These are proven socio marketing metrics.

As regards unofficial scenarios, I try to be f00lishly nice to everyone at all times. I don't do confrontations.

I will not confront you if you steal my N10m

because

I know you won't live to spend a kobo from it grin

In summary, I play along a lot. While I already know you're a scammer, I will still play along and even cook for you.. grin
I will make you believe the money you ask for to effect that fraudulent scheme will be paid to your account first thing tomorrow morning. Just ensure you have plenty airtime to call me, and stay awake all night expecting raw cash from a "mumu" boy.

I bite only on Nairaland smiley

True talk

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Funeral Of Man And His Three Kids Killed In Boat Accident In The U.S.(Pics) / Wife Is Not Your Blood Relative / Despite Having The Requirements..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.