Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,783 members, 7,875,938 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:47 AM

Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation (1793 Views)

Lalong Declares Curfew In Jos As Hausa And Igbo Clash / Hausa And Igbo (IPOB) Clash In Aba: Several Gunshots By Soldiers (Live Updates) / Ohaneze In Search Of Credible Igbo Political Leaders, Says VP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 1:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo's political orientation by Abdulrazaq O Hamzat For some times now, I have been carefully reviewing approaches of these 3 groups, in the manner they respond to governance and political situations in the country. There is something unique I discovered, but please, don't take the post personal, it's just my opinion based on my review of the 3 major tribes actions over the years. Here we go : 1. Hausa/North : Hausa here represented the North and I shall use them interchangeably. North are not seeking sympathy, neither are they seeking for praise. They do not unreasonably accuse other regions to put them in the defense, neither do they respond ferociously to accusations against them. They believe in the Yoruba proverb that says, '' akoko le eleyoro lo, ka to fi abo ba adiye'', meaning, we have to send the outsiders away before coming back to focus on our error. They preach unity among themselves, emphasizing that no matter what you do as a northerner, other regions can't like you as much as the North. Therefore, you hold north a duty to protect it's interest, not because of the North itself, but because of yourself. They position the north, as a northerners guarantor of political solidarity and personal security. If anything happens in the country, irrespective of who is responsible, they hardly point accusing fingers, they just take position to articulate an interest without minding what other regions do. For example, if something that is involving northerners happen, they reach out to each other and hold a meeting, in which they will appraise the situation. In their tink tank deliberation, they identify the issues , locate what went wrong, point out the responsible actors and how to move on. In the course of identifying those responsible, they will make it clear to themselves, this is what what went wrong. Here, our people are guilty, there Yoruba's are guilty and here Igbo people are guilty. But they will keep it to themselves. What they will simply do is take a position and stand on that position. It is this position that they communicate to their followers, which is often used in debate and other public communication. The more you are involved in Northern politics, the more you imbibe this skills. Check out all northern student union and youth groups, this is how they operate too. It's the northern way. This is our interest, we don't care who is guilty before now, let's focus on the ball, not finding fault. Even the most uneducated northerner conscience of the political happenings in the country have been sensitized to hold this view. 2. Igbo /East : The Igbos are very good communicators and mostly employ the use of confrontational communication. They do not find content in keeping their cool, when things are going wrong. They believe in challenge. When things are going wrong, they reach out to each other and appraise the situation. In their tink tank appraisal of issues, they identify the problems , what went wrong and those responsible. However, while they identify Igbo people are responsible here, Hausa responsible there and Yoruba here, they down play the areas of Igbo responsibility, laying more emphasis on where other regions are responsible. But they hardly take any cogent position, or articulate an area of collective interest. In addition, Igbo do not preach the kind of Hausa unity or demand the loyalty. They are more individualistic. After their tink tank engagement, they communicate to their followers, down playing the culpability of the Igbos in the problem, emphasizing more on the role of other regions. While the leaders themselves may not go about blaming other regions entirely for the problems, that's what their communication experts do along with the followers. The leaders remain silent, and the followers voices become the known one. They blame everyone, except themselves, making other regions wonder if they are deliberately distorting facts. Considering the fact that every party involved often do contribute in one way or the other, their actions are taken in bad faith. 3. Yoruba / West : The Yoruba's have another way of approaching issues. While they are as confrontational as the Igbo's in term of communication, they also have the strategic approach of the Hausa's, which invariably help them maintain certain kind of balance. If there are issues in the country, Yoruba's get together to appraise the issues. In their tink tank deliberation, they identify the problems, those responsible and apportion blames appropriately. They tell themselves we are responsible here, Igbos are at fault here and Hausa's are guilty there. But this wouldn't go out to the public. Like the Hausa's, Yoruba do not take the blame, and like the Igbos, they point out what went wrong. Rather than come out to take responsibility for there parts of the blame or blame other regions for theirs, Yoruba will simply maintain that every one contributed to the problem and there is no need to blame any region. They often advocate a joint problem solving approach.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by QuotaSystem: 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
An interesting read, not very far from the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by Aufbauh(m): 2:22pm On Nov 21, 2016
Quite informative
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by ificatchmodeh: 2:36pm On Nov 21, 2016
You try..
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by coptic: 2:47pm On Nov 21, 2016
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by Ahmeduana(m): 3:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
IF I SHOULD GO BY YOUR ANALYSIS OR OBSERVATION OF THE HAUSAS, WHAT YOU MEAN IS THAT THERE IS SPIRIT OF UNITY AMONG THEM ISN'T SO? but let me tell you one thing, it seems like that because they find common enemies in the southerners, REMOVE THE SOUTH AND LET THEM BE ALONE AND SEE IF THEY WILL REMAIN UNITE IN PURPOSE, or they will allow their leaders to go scot free of any form of sanction or reprimand whenever they mis-govern.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by zero8zero(m): 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2016
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by zero8zero(m): 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2016
In other words; Hausa/fulani-- offensive mentality. Igbo--- Victim Mentality. Yoruba-- defensive mentality. Truth is mine*
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by QuotaSystem: 3:47pm On Nov 21, 2016
Ahmeduana:
IF I SHOULD GO BY YOUR ANALYSIS OR OBSERVATION OF THE HAUSAS, WHAT YOU MEAN IS THAT THERE IS SPIRIT OF UNITY AMONG THEM ISN'T SO? but let me tell you one thing, it seems like that because they find common enemies in the southerners, REMOVE THE SOUTH AND LET THEM BE ALONE AND SEE IF THEY WILL REMAIN UNITE IN PURPOSE, or they will allow their leaders to go scot free of any form of sanction or reprimand whenever they mis-govern.

Does the South not have a common 'enemy' in the North as well? How come you are not also united?

What a poor lame excuse.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
coptic:
Did you read the post with open mind? I don't think so. If you do, you would have seen where I described the Yoruba proverb that describe their kind of ways. Akoko le eleyoro lo, ka to fi abo ba adiye, meaning, let's send the outsiders away before coming to address our error. Ofcourse, after others had been sent off, the attention is turned on themselves.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 4:27pm On Nov 21, 2016
zero8zero:
That's not the appropriate description. Hausa - Conservative, Igbo - Republican, Yoruba - progressive
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2016
zero8zero:
In other words;
Hausa/fulani-- offensive mentality.
Igbo--- Victim Mentality.
Yoruba-- defensive mentality.
Truth is mine*
True

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by MyGeneration(m): 4:34pm On Nov 21, 2016
So...
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by Mc4larin: 5:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by EmeeNaka: 5:46pm On Nov 21, 2016
It will be better if you give example to substantiate your analysis.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 6:09pm On Nov 21, 2016
EmeeNaka:
It will be better if you give example to substantiate your analysis.
The post will be too long
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by MiyattiAllah: 6:22pm On Nov 21, 2016
Ahmeduana:
Mtss u ll never learn
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by KingsleyJohn: 6:36pm On Nov 21, 2016
Op no doubt, your assertions are true. I also want to point out that this method adopted by the north is somewhat connected with the fact that they have a structure with heirachy, from the Sultan down to the Hakimi, so everyone has a boss and the sultan answers to Allah. Interestingly in the east its all man for himself.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2016
MiyattiAllah:

Mtss u ll never learn
I agree with you to a great extent, but disagree on some points. While I agree that most northerners Accord the sultan due respect, that doesn't mean they are structured to follow him politically. As a matter of fact, sultan does not interfere in politics of who should do what. Recall the 2011 PDP contest. Atiku, Gusau, IBB and Saraki merely agreed among themselves. So this has nothing to do with the sultan specifically. Again, the fact that this is the northern way doesn't mean there are no people who go outside this norm. They are just the minority
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by SAHACO(m): 8:46pm On Nov 21, 2016
That is way we want out, we don't have anything in common.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 8:34am On Nov 22, 2016
?
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by gwales: 8:54am On Nov 22, 2016
“It is not correct to say that North is not as assertive as people think on 2015 presidency, you know here in the North, we have certain traditions that are sometimes misread as wickedness. The fact that we don’t come out shouting in abusive language and so on, does not mean that we don’t have deep-rooted concern for ourselves. This is not true.
“All of us here are members of the ACF, and if you look at other parts of the country that are making noise, they are small enclaves, perhaps, may not be bigger than Kaduna State. Looking at the history of diversity and our style of governance, make us to behave slightly different from the others.
“But I want to make it absolutely clear to you that ACF and all these other groups that have emerged in the recent past, we are all talking about the same thing. We are committed to northern interest, there is no question about it. " Ango Abdullahi.
mrrights this quote by Ango Abdullahi sums up the people in the north
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 9:09am On Nov 22, 2016
I don't get that. Can you please explain?
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 9:10am On Nov 22, 2016
While he some how corroborated some of my points, I don't think it is correct to use the opinion of one person to describe the north. If Ango's interest change tomorrow, you may hear something else.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by khSteel: 9:28am On Nov 22, 2016
mrrights:
While he some how corroborated some of my points, I don't think it is correct to use the opinion of one person to describe the north. If Ango's interest change tomorrow, you may hear something else.

But the writer (maybe you) just used his very limited opinion to qualify a people I am super sure that he lacks thorough understanding of their worldview and perspectives to life.

Your entire write up lacks empirical information and deserve no cognizant response. The line in bold says it all.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 9:53am On Nov 22, 2016
What I wrote is my opinion, based on my critical review and observations. If you disagree with anything I said, feel free to express your counter view
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by orunto27: 1:46pm On Nov 22, 2016
You get a Credit. Such is Life! Nigeria is a Keke Napep. The wheel in Front is always afraid to move fast. The North come together to find solutions to their fears. The wheel at back right is confrontational and always wanting to come front to replace the front wheel. The Igbos come together to confront others for their failures. The left back wheel doesn't have problems. The Shaft from it, connects to the two other wheels to move them. It's a complacent Tool that is visited whenever there is need to solve other problems. The Yorubas come together often for "Owambe Party". But when there are Knots like Biafra and Fulani Herdsmen The Yorubas will shoot right. Your thread is entertaining, thanks.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2016
Comedian are many on nairaland.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by basilo102: 6:52pm On Nov 22, 2016
your opinion.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by Vulu: 7:05pm On Nov 22, 2016
THIS YORUBA MUSLIM OP IS DECEIVING HIMSELF.

IGBOS BLAME EVERYBODY APART FROM THEMSELVES?
WHEN THE HOLD WORLD KNOW THAT IGBOS ARE 97% RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL DEVELOPMENT HAPPENING IN THEIR LAND. COULD YORUBAS HAVE SURVIVED IF ABACHA HAD ALLOCATED A PALTRY 2 MILLION NAIRA FOR BUILDING ALL ROADS IN THE WEST LIKE HE DID IN THE EAST?

WHEN FULANIS KIDNAPPED FALAE, AND ATTACKED MILE 12 YORUBAS HERE BLAMED IGBOS I CAN DIG UP THE THREAD. TO YORUBAS EVERYBODY IS AN IDIOT EXCEPT THEM.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by mrrights: 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2016
Vulu:
THIS YORUBA MUSLIM OP IS DECEIVING HIMSELF.
IGBOS BLAME EVERYBODY APART FROM THEMSELVES?
WHEN THE HOLD WORLD KNOW THAT IGBOS ARE 97% RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL DEVELOPMENT HAPPENING IN THEIR LAND. COULD YORUBAS HAVE SURVIVED IF ABACHA HAD ALLOCATED A PALTRY 2 MILLION NAIRA FOR BUILDING ALL ROADS IN THE WEST LIKE HE DID IN THE EAST?
WHEN FULANIS KIDNAPPED FALAE, AND ATTACKED MILE 12 YORUBAS HERE BLAMED IGBOS I CAN DIG UP THE THREAD. TO YORUBAS EVERYBODY IS AN IDIOT EXCEPT THEM.
?
Re: Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Political Orientation by koladebrainiac(m): 7:56pm On Nov 22, 2016
Itvis easy for the Northern Governors to gather around in one unity and deliberate on political economical issues
Its easy for Yoruba governors to stand together despite their political differences and deliberate on issue affecting them.

I have never seen Igbo governors converge to discuss issue affecting them like Kidnapping,Biafra Agitation,economy issues,security etc that is ravaging them.

What they are good at is to blame Yoruba for their woes and condemn Northern supremacy n claiming cultural identity with Niger delta folks.

NB
Tho Yoruba's are not saint-
Hausa are not wise
But I think Northern Culture and tradition made them so.
Their fundamental system of government-emirate system helping them

Yoruba respect to Oyo Kingship n Ife Lineage help them.

Igbo is not the king type-they don't pay homage to anybody.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sen. Dino Melaye’s Baby Mama, Actress Bisi Celebrate Daughter As She Turns 4 / Amaechi Finally Exposed / Psychic Forsee Civil War In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.