Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,336 members, 7,917,043 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 04:27 PM

Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart (25154 Views)

Actress Nse Ikpe Etim Shares Sunday Stuning Photo / Nse Ikpe-Etim And Her Husband Need To Get A Room Asap (Photos) / Nse Ikpe Etim Advises Women Looking For Love At 40 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2009

Life For Me Is One Step At A Time - Nse Ikpe-Etim
BY SHAIBU HUSSEINI

Nse Ikpe -Etim's phones have not stopped ringing since the it was announced that she would be competing for honours in the best-actress-in-a-lead-role category of the this year's edition of the African Movie Academy Award (AMAA). Fans and close friends of the deep actress of Ibibio stock have been buzzing her to congratulate her for a feat, which they agree she deserves. Nse's masterful portrayal of Omoze, the housewife who had a randy husband to contend with in Reloaded, a movie that was jointly signed by Emem Isong and Desmond Elliot, caught the attention of the AMAA jury and earned the actress and writer, who is mostly attracted to challenging roles and plausible stories, a nomination in the prestigious continental award scheme. An actress and star of one of the earlier Nollywood efforts Venom of Justice who craves privacy and who says she will rather be herself than the star in the last film, Nse is believed by many to have given her role in the gripping encounter that is Reloaded such expert interpretation that the movie must have benefited a lot from her presence on set. All the scenes that the product of the Theatre Arts Department of the University of Calabar was involved in came out rather too real, too blatant and too convincing. Indeed, it will take only a well- trained actress to come out as convincing as Nse did in Reloaded, which starred Ramsey Noah, Stephanie Okereke, Van Vicker and Ini Edo, all in lead roles.

A trained thespian that enjoys the peace of travelling and culinary expressions, Nse, to those who have encountered her is a bundle of talent. They hold that her artistic carriage, good diction, captivating screen presence and training will continue to place her in the lead. They also say that the resourceful, warm- hearted, disarmingly humble and versatile artiste represents for them a gem and diamond who will remain at the top rung as long as she keeps to the scoring tactics she exhibited in Reloaded?

Background:
I am a simple girl from Akwa Ibom State. I read Theatre Arts from the University of Calabar. I went into banking after school and then did some work as a broadcaster. I sold male clothing and worked a bit as a company representative here in Abuja. So I have been through a lot of industries-banking, television, just name it. I was doing well in the movie industry but stepped out when I became really scared about my future. So I took off the same year after I did Venom of Justice. I was in the second part of the movie. I just felt it wasn't for me. I mean acting full time. I did that because I was still something of a rebel. I wanted to prove a point to my mother that I wanted to be a banker. I still went off but I came back. My mom did not think it was good enough at that time. But as time went on my mom understood and today I think she is my greatest supporter. She is very happy. She thinks everyone should do what makes them happy. So if you wake up in my house now and you say you want to be a farmer, trust me, mummy is going to support you. So I think I got the first support from her. Then my friend Jetta Amata kept harassing me. He kept telling me to leave other industries for the proper industry and I was like what is proper about it. Then Emem Isong came along and applied same pressure too. So I started from my writing-scriptwriting and screen writing and then to acting. But I write mainly and have little time for acting. I wrote My Brother, My Keeper for Jetta Amata. I also did with a couple of others including Amina which is what we are actually shooting now in Zaria. Jetta is handling that. And I was honoured Jetta asked me to be his assistant director so now it means I have graduated from acting and I am trying my hands on directing. So I have been around

Playing Omoze

Those characters were playing out real life situations. I mean, you can find Omoze, which was the character I played in the movie anywhere, same for the character Stephanie Okereke played. There is actually someone we know who went through what the character Stephanie played went through in the movie. We even tried to make it sound lighter. From our finding, the lady actually had seven abortions and it was in three years. We made it sound as though it was more years for a lesser thing because it was going to sound unrealistic but the truth is that these things happen. So, we used her story and spoke to a lot of people. We had our friend Bola Aduwo who helped in the research. She spoke to a lot of people. We spoke to women who felt that they had to harass the girls because their men cheated on them. When Emem insisted I would act, I chose the character Stephanie Okereke played because I felt that I could relate to the pain and she said no, I should play Omoze. At the end I picked up the role and did all the screaming, the shouting and close marking and I won't say I am like that in real life. I have not had anything close to that. I just bumped into the character and I just allowed the woman in me play out herself. You know women sense a lot of things. A cheating husband knows his wife knows. She probably hasn't confronted him. But I did not play myself in the movie. I simply assumed a character and merged two acting styles- Stanislavski and avant-garde in my delivery and that is wearing the shoes of the character and actually allowing anything to happen. I am happy it turned out well, I am just glad that it turned out well. At least it earned me a nomination and that is because some people felt I did well. Thanks to Emem who insisted I play the role and I am grateful to God for the nomination.

The nomination is an honor but I tell you that satisfying my audience is far the biggest reward ever. I hope to put in 200% for them each time. They should look out for some of the jobs I have done. I did Guilty Pleasures recently with Emem and played alongside Ramsey Noah and Majid Michael. There is another one Edikan which is actually in my language. It's in Ibibio and I am proper Ibibio.

Nollywood And Screen Playing

I am not going to blame us the artistes. I am going to say that we need to be given the conducive environment to think. We don't have it. So, no matter how much you think, you can't think outside the box. So it's not really our problem because if you notice, a lot of us creative people leave the country and we are better. So, we are not the problem. I think we all have to come together to build an industry that is going to last longer than oil. If someone has few bucks, he should throw it in. Let's work together. If you dump me in a village without light and so on and say write, I am not going to write. Put me in a place that is conducive and my creative muse will be awake all day. I mean you cannot create if you are not comfortable. I think if we dissect our industry properly and infuse the right things in it, in 10 years, we will be competing with other film societies. Inspiration

I draw my inspiration from God and from the things around me. I recall once I took a long trip to Aba in Abia State to buy fabrics by road from Abuja and I wrote an article and everyone I showed told me it was not bad and then Jetta Amata, my friend for over 13 years now read one of them and asked where I culled it from and I said I didn't cull it. I wrote it. That was it for me. I needed something to push me and that happened and I needed someone to encourage me, which also happened. We have rich stories in Nigeria. Things happen here every day. Things happen within our lives, things happen outside. It will be amazing if any one says I don't know that the story of Reloaded exists. But it happens.

Will It Be Theatre Again For Nse?

It will be theatre again because you are allowed certain kinds of freedom to express yourself. I like to express myself. I like to be who I want to be and that's how I was brought up. And talking about growing up, it was fun. I grew up in Zaria, we moved on to Kaduna and then Jos, from there to Ilorin and from Ilorin to Lagos before I went to the University in Calabar. I have virtually been on the move, gathering information, educating myself but now I live in Abuja.

Career Ambition

To be the best cook in the world (loud laugher). Serious, I love cooking. My story will be the story of that chic that acts and cooks. Cooking for me is art and so, it's all in the same line. That's my sole ambition even though I love acting. I will sure get to my height if God permits me. I have come to realize that it's a step at a time. It's only here that you hear people say that they are unhappy because they are 40 and cannot afford to buy a car. Elsewhere it is I am living my life and I am happy at 40, so life goes on. That's how I have taken life. That's how it should be. As for financial reward, money will come when it will come. You start, you are good and you will be appreciated. I have been appreciated a lot. In terms of pains of the profession, I don't think it is different from the fad; boy meet girl, hey you are cool. It's left to the girl to say hey I want or I don't want. I think it is the same thing. Yeah, we get a lot more attention but sometimes it is not because people necessarily want to date you, they just want to know you and there is nothing wrong with that.

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/life_style/article13//indexn3_html?pdate=210309&ptitle=%27Life%20For%20Me%20Is%20One%20Step%20At%20A%20Time%27&cpdate=220309]Guardian[/url]
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by AloyEmeka6: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2009
That is my girl right there. Hot hot hot.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2009
[img]http://4.bp..com/_qZAvjyZGezE/ScKQb0zQRLI/AAAAAAAAAEU/Ym8HjG0d9d0/s320/n576637773_604108_9075.jpg[/img]

I’ll never sleep my way to the top - Nse Ikpe-Etim
Written by Benjamin Njoku

You may not be acquainted with her until you are privileged to watch, “Re-Loaded”, a new movie produced by Emem Isong. And when you do then, you will begin to understand this writer’s fascination and respect for her delivery in the new movie.

Her name is Nse Ikpe-Etim and she’s one of the privileged actresses whose recent movie exploits have pitched them in contention for the crown of Best Female actresses at the forth coming UBA-AMAA awards billed to hold next month in Yenoogoa, the Bayelsa State capital.

She gained national acceptance when she played the role of Omoze, wife to super-actor Ramsey Nouah in that thrilling ‘Re-Loaded”, a movie currently receiving accolades across borders and which has gained for the movie Director, Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen a nomination at this year’s edition of AMAA award.

Nse is not a new actress per se, because she’s starred in several other flicks that include a role in a TV soap,”Inheritance” and which was also produced by Emem Isong, ten years ago. She then went on to do other things that are not related to acting.

Re-Loaded, a story that resolves around cheating in relationships and its attendant consequences is certainly not her last film as she also starred in two yet to be released movies, “Guilty Pleasures’ and “Edikan” both produced by Emem.

Although, Re-Loaded is one movie that may launch her into the mainstream movie world, Nse told HVP that for several years, she had been on the background helping to build the stars of the industry.

“Unknown to many I was behind the screen helping to build stars through my role as a technical and support hand”.

And while behind the camera, Nse claimed she felt empty and unfulfilled in her quest for creative exploration. And in her search for fulfillment, she made brief stop-over at Rhythm and Cool FM, where she worked as an on air personality, before moving on to pick a job in the bank, a job which did not last the day. Ace producer, Jeta Amata, whom she described as “a very good friend of mine for 13 years’ introduced her into the acting profession. ‘Jeta and I have been friends for 13 years.’ she replied, avoiding to use the word, ‘lovers’.

A graduate of Theatre Administration of the University of Calabar, Nse is a pretty lady from Akwa-Ibom state and she’s in her early thirties.

Re-Loaded is the first movie that she has featured in and playing a major role. “I was a bit frightened, especially acting alongside a man.”.

She claimed that “even after the movie “I am still afraid because I want to be able to give my audience a quality delivery.”

The actress who says her ambition is to make it to Hollywood, wouldn’t however wish to talk about her love life. But it’s believed that, Nse may have been in and out of relationships that never led to life of matrimony.

She named, Stuffy Loral, an American actress and Nigerian Joke Silva as her screen idols. “I grew up at a time when there was nothing like Nollywood. For me, Stuffy Loral and Joke Silva are my sources of inspiration.”

Nse was one of the Nollywood stars that graced this year’s edition of BOBTV, which ended last week at Sheraton Hotels, Abuja. She had arrived the festival venue, dressed in modest attire, and in the company of her friends, as well as her producer, Emem Isong, where HVP cornered her for a chat.

According to Nse, veering into other fields of life to make ends meets, mostly accounted for the partial delay in launching herself into the movie world. Marriage, she believed is a game of choice. “I think, every woman has a choice either to marry or not.’she said.

For her, writing remains an integral part of her entire being. ‘I love writing. And I can’t stop writing. Right now, I’m assisting Jeta Amata in his next series, which is on the story of ‘Queen Amina. Jeta Amata has faith in me, as well as Emem Isong.”

Nse believes that as a growing industry, which is not devoid of its ups and downs, the movie industry will someday emerge to become the major tool for economic development of the country.

Aside acting and writing, which she listed as part of her hobbies, Nse said, it is her utmost dream to emerge the best cook in the world.

As the first daughter in a family of six, who is faced with the challenges of assisting her mother to train her younger ones, having lost her father at a very tender age, Nse claimed that she had earned a lot of money from cooking. “When I stay off the screen, I hope to establish a big restaurant in the city of Abuja. I intend to retire to my kitchen.” she enthused.

Contrary to the belief that most of the top rated actresses sleep their ways to the top, Nse had a different opinion. ‘Sleep my way to the top?” God forbid. she reacted furiously. “I think, it’s high time, according to her, “people stop making such insinuations. What happened between two people, is only between them and the four corners of the wall.

How would a third party get to know about it. I keep asking this question. One day, we will all come to have a marriage of understanding.” “It’s sad, that people use this unconfirmed act to look down on female stars. I have never heard where it happened before. It has never happened to me either. So, I can’t talk about it. I will never sleep my way to the top.” Nse stressed.

For her to excel in the industry, Nse counts on the support of her friends and fans. “My colleagues will support and teach me how to handle eventualities. Because I’m still a baby in the industry.

Vangurd
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Godmother(f): 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2009
Errr, michelin are you her publicist? lol
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by pureminded: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2009
Hmm , she's welcome and i wish her good luck grin
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2009
[img]http://1.bp..com/_9_kH4WIT5gM/SoVHP5AWZYI/AAAAAAAACo0/nWMIzt9zl3M/s400/Nse-419x600.jpg[/img]

Interview with Nse Ikpe Etim
Nollywood ViewMs. Nse Ikpe Etim , We are very honored to have you here with us today. Your acceptance of our request for today’s interview speaks greatly of your character. It’s a privilege to have you here

Nse Ikpe Etim Thank you for your belief in me. I am here

Nollywood View When/at what age did you realize that you have a flare for acting?

Nse Ikpe Etim I realised I had a flare at 18 in university even though I wrote meaningless plays in secondary school

Nollywood View So you got involved in acting or writing plays while at the university?

Nse Ikpe Etim I got involved in stage work in university, acting precisely and as for writing that came much, much later

Nollywood ViewAs a new actress in the industry, there is not a lot about you out there,  Can you just tell us a bit about yourself? Who is Nse Etim?

Nse Ikpe Etim Nse Ikpe-Etim is the first child from a family of six, who is from Akwa Ibom State and is a grad of the dept of theater arts University of Calabar

Nollywood View Short and precise lol!

Nse Ikpe Etim Lol,  I tell you its the most difficult question in the world,

Nollywood View I bet!
Before you got into acting, what was your occupation?

Nse Ikpe Etim I used to be a banker, worked with a male clothing company, also did television too, Radio as well,  Truth is I get embarrassed when I am asked cos it was a tad bit too much all in search of self

Nollywood View Well, I beg to differ on that notion,  Most if us like Sofiya Mose try different routes before we find our destination,  In some cases they even stand as stepping stone.
So do you feel you have found a place to rest your head? Do you think Nollywood is "it" for you?

Nse Ikpe Etim Absolutely,  It is,  I feel at peace.

Nollywood View That's great, hopefully we all get to that place in our self/career search.
Were u in any other movie before reloaded?

Nse Ikpe Etim Yes I was,  Venom of Justice 2, Scars of womanhood, and a soapie Inheritance. Almost a decade ago,

Nollywood View Wow! That a long break,  So how did you find Nollywood back or how did Nollywood find you back?

Nse Ikpe Etim My longstanding friendship with both Jeta Amata and Emem Isong. Some how, they persisted and look where it got me?

Nollywood View We see you are working very closely with Emem Isong,  She's an outstanding producer,  You are also in two of her upcoming project,  Do u plan on venturing out to other producers in the near future?

Nse Ikpe Etim Lol,  Was hoping you won't go there but anyways, like every actor, I do look forward to working with other producers.

Nollywood View Lol! You have to admit you set yourself up for that.
Do you have any personal principle/standard you've set for yourself when it comes to how far* you'd go on set/in a movie ,  What are your don'ts? And do u see yourself turning down scripts? What are some of the reasons you would?

Nse Ikpe Etim Nudity is one,  I won't touch it but because life for me is pretty easy there really are no hard and fast rules so I would deal with every script based on its peculiarity,  But as long as a script has got depth and is not blasphemous,  Its worth a read

Nollywood View Tell us a bit about the two upcoming projects and the other main actors featured in them? How was it working on the project and with the other actors?

Nse Ikpe Etim We will start with Guilty Pleasures which was produced by Emem Isong and Desmond Elliot and Directed by Daniel Ademinokan and Desmond Elliot. It featured Ramsey Nouah, Majid Michel, Desmond, Mercy Johnson, Omoni Oboli and myself and a host of others
It deals with the difficulties encountered in new marriages and how the spouses deal with it. Both male and female angles are treated.
The others are Edikan and Bursting out. Same producers and Directors too. Edikan deals with the child witchcraft issues we have plaguing my state and ways to deal with the false accusations. It is a language film, whereas Bursting Out was with Genevive Nnaji, Majid Michel, Omoni Oboli, Desmond and myself and a host of others.I forgot Uti of big brother,  He too was there and it is a romantic comedy,  Tht deals with the issue of love and class,  Phew!!

Nollywood View Wow! So u have 3 movies lined up to come out already,  Must have been a lot of work? Do u feel under pressure to meet up to the high standard your role in Reloaded has created for you?

Nse Ikpe Etim I tell you I am so afraid I might have let everyone down because what happened in Reloaded came as a shock now I must always do better,

Nollywood View With the growth and recognition of Nollywood back home and even internationally,  there has been an obvious rise in young beautiful female like yourself who are interested in acting. So there is obviously tons of competition out there,  How do you plan on creating an Image for yourself/ making yourself an Icon in the Nigerian movie industry?

Nse Ikpe Etim That's a tough one but like we all know every one has their fav,  And we all can't be same so we can only try to have staying power but flowers often fade with time so I guess innovation, but in what manner?? That I must learn, and you all will help me,

Nollywood View Well, it looks like Linda has already taken the lead,  but before i round up in 5min,  i'll just have all the people online with us today,  ask Nse any question they may have or make comments

Nollywood View One of the Questions we received from a fan,
Ms. Nse are you married?

Nse Ikpe Etim
No I am not married,

Linda Alizee
Mens how old are you pls?

Juliet Ibrahim
Am really looking forward to acting wit u. And i love your act in reloaded! your my idol for now,

Nse Ikpe Etim
As for my age,I will leave that for Linda to guess and for Juliet I am honored and apart from my degree course in theater I guess the rest is the grace of God
Linda Alizee Mens I think you are in late 20s lol, anyway, you a very good actress and very pretty, keep up the good work Bleep

Nse Ikpe Etim Thanking you very much for choosing me, and I also ask that your support will be unwavering
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2009
[/img]

There’s no Mr. Right in marriage - Nse Ikpe Etim
By Azuh Amatus

Articulate and outspoken Nse Ikpe Etim, re-launched her acting career in Nollywood with a superlative role in the wave making movie-Reloaded, after over a decade absence from the klieg lights. Now fully back and operating from Abuja, the nation’s capital, the sassy thespian is gradually winning back her lost fans as well as the admiration of filmmakers.

Currently in town for this Friday’s world premiere of Edikan, an Ibibio language movie produced by Emem Isong’s Royal Arts Academy and directed by Desmond Elliot, Miss Etim is optimistic that the flick, which x-rays the ugly issue of child witchcraft would help change the society positively. Speaking exclusively with Daily Sun, the Theatre Arts graduate from the University of Calabar, happily told us why she fled Nollywood at the peak of her career, romance with the banking world, why she’s back and many more.

Welcome to Lagos, we would like to know what brought you to the Centre of excellence?
I came in from my Abuja base to be part of Edikan, a very topical movie produced by Emem Isong, for Royal Arts Academy. As one of the actresses, it’s a movie I hold very dear to my heart because it talks about an issue that is very pressing where I came from, which is child witchcraft. It should not be seen as an Akwa-Ibom issue, but a national one. We are trying to let people see and know the ills that have been caused by the witch-hunting people, killing innocent souls in our state, in the name of hunting witches.

What was your role in the movie, Edikan?
I played the role of a humanitarian who saw the plight of those children and decided to talk about it and further work against those behind it by means of exposing and bringing them to face the full wrath of the law. My role in the movie awoke something within me and I realized that if we did not fight the menace, our children would be lost and we would no longer have children that would be the future of our nation. It’s actually an African issue and we’ve got to sanitize the parents too, especially those involved. Above all, I will give my best to this intellectual premiere that holds this Friday, July 17, 2009, at Terra Kulture, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Other stars in this heart-wrenching movie include: Ini Edo, Moses Armstrong, Ini Ikpe, Desmond Eliot, he also directed, Omoni Oboli and a host of others.

What should we expect at the premiere?
As an insider, I can assure you that it is basically going to be more of an intellectually premiere cum gathering. No doubt, there will be pomp and gallantry as well as music performances from Slam, Anne Inyang, and some others, but you’d definitely take something home. Secondly, people would laugh and also think, because the movie is a satirical comedy.

Deep down, do you think the emergence of this movie, would help change peoples’ impression about child witchcraft in your state, Akwa-Ibom?
Why not? It would wake them up, and once you’ve been woken, it means we have done something very positive to the society and from that point, we would continue, till its completely eradicated.

In the early days of what is today known as Nollywood, you used to be one of the hottest starlets, until you disappeared from the radar, what happened and where have you been?
You‘re right; I went in search of self. Sincerely, I’ve been away for almost 12 to 13 years, until I re-launched my career in 2007/2008 with Emem Isong’s Reloaded, where I played the role of Ramsey Noah’s wife. I came in around 96/97, and left around 98. When I left acting, I went into banking, and later TV and Media. I had a syndicated programme on radio and eventually I left all these to work for myself, which I still combine with acting till date.

No doubt, Reloaded re-launched you and your career into mainstream acting, after more than a decade absence, what was it like playing that wonderful role?
The director of the movie, Lancelot Imasuen, actually harassed me on that set. In fact, he called a few days ago and said I’ve not said thank you, so I’m using this medium and opportunity to say a big thank you to him. In fact, he accused me of being rusty on set, in order to bring out the best in me, meaning that once an actor, always an actor. Moreover, the convincing of Emem that I could still do it even better also helped a lot, even when that was not the role I’d wanted to play. Emem and crew virtually forced the role of Omoze, on me, the end result is the commendation I’m getting everyday.

In real life, are you that possessive and domineering over your man?
I think it’s relative when you say someone is possessive. I do not think I’m possessive, but I also think that people fight for what is theirs. But in what manner they fight for it is what we do know. If I say to you now that I’m like that or not, I could be lying. The truth is that you never knew until you’re in situations like that.

But if you eventually find yourself in such a situation, would you react more dangerously than your role of Omoze in Reloaded?
I think that if you want your relationship to continue, sometime It’s easier to play the fool, and hope that things get better. I am a stickler for women who are strong, and not those that believe that if my man hits me today, it’s going to get better tomorrow. I say get out because there is no need to stay and fight. We all want to be alive. There is no need to have hypertension when you have a long life to enjoy.

Are you fully back in Nollywood?
Yes, I am fully back in Nollywood, after a very long break. Mind you, the first set of movies I did, should be Venom of Justice and Scars of Womanhood, in the early days of the industry, while Inheritance, a soap, was my last production, in 98. I relocated to Abuja and have been there ever since.

Why Abuja?
Actually, I left Lagos finally about five years ago, because I wanted something new and just had an experience then too. That period, I also got an employment with a male fashion house to go and open their Abuja branch, so I moved and knew I wasn’t going to come back to Lagos. I love Abuja and can’t trade it for Lagos. I frequent Lagos because of Nollywood.

After Reloaded, how many more movies have you featured in?
I did Guilty Pleasures, immediately after Reloaded, I later did Edikan, Bursting Out and a few others.

Any regret leaving Nollywood that long?
No, I don’t give room to regrets. I’m extremely proud of all my colleagues that have done well with their careers, while I was on sabbatical. You can only lose focus when you drop, not because someone else is trailing you.

There is a great synergy between you and Emem Isong, what is responsible for it?
Emem and I met in 97; we actually met through a common friend and immediately became good pals. We later did Inheritance together, she produced and I acted. We also went to Sithengi Film Festival, South Africa together. We’ve remained friends ever since and I have always said that friendship is not only when you live together or see every day. For more, it’s actually being able to pick up from where you stopped.

How would you describe Emem Isong?
She can be a lot fun and sometimes, she can just piss you off. Generally she’s a lot more fun and very nice. And she’s also very blunt and likes saying things the way they are. For me, friendship is a compromise. On a scale of one to 10, she’s an eight for a friend, which is a lot to give to a friend.

Most people are of the opinion that you work only for Emem Isong Productions, how true is this?
Emem calls me often and I work with her, if others called me, I would give it a trial. Emem also gives me roles that suit me. I would work with whosoever gives me a job that suits me.

We would like to know more about you and your background?
As you already know, I’m Nse Ikpe Etim, a simple girl from Akwa-Ibom State. I was in St. Louis, Jos , later FGC Jos, FGC Ilorin, and finally University of Calabar, where I read Theatre Arts. I’m the first child in a family of six, four girls, two boys. I grew up in Kaduna, Jos, Ilorin and Lagos.

Did your parents, especially your dad endorse your going into showbiz?
Painfully, my dad was already late when I did my first movie, he died in 1990. (Tears dropping)

What fond memories of your dad do you still relish and cherish?
He worked with the CBN, and was always on the move. I have so many fond memories of him, he used to play tennis a lot, and I used to go with him to watch him play. He used to bring me books that were older than me, the first time I read Day of the Jackal and other great books, was courtesy of him. He taught me how to read a lot. I still miss him.

How did he die and what killed him?
He was ill and died from a terminal disease; in fact, the doctors said he died from Liver Cirrhosis. (Tears flowing)

How would you describe yourself?
Funny enough, I love to stay at home a lot and also enjoy my comfort. I also like to go out. I could be emotional sometimes too.

Aside acting, what else do you engage in Abuja?
I run a small company that is into supplies and also cook for people, mostly corporate clients.

You left Nollywood a long time ago, now that you’re back, do you think the industry has improved or not?
In all fairness, the industry has improved compared to how it was over a decade ago. We put our money in the banks, so it should also help us to grow.

What core areas do you think Nollywood should improve upon for a better industry?
We are trying very well, but should improve on our technicalities. We need to add more value to our technical and distributions network. With more funding, we will conquer all these challenges.

What weighs you down?
If truth most be told, sometimes when you are flat broke, you can cry o! It’s hard out there. On love, I don’t think I can cry for love and would rather not talk about it here. I believe in true love and can also say that it has been fair to me.

Are you in a relationship currently?
No, I guess my last guy and I were not just compatible. He later left and ever since, I’ve been on my own. I have been alone for a long time that I eventually got comfortable with it. With or without a man by my side, I think life will still be enjoyable and fun.

Are you not thinking of marriage?
This thing called marriage, I think it, but I don’t bother myself about it. Please don’t ask me if I’ve not seen the right guy, because there is no such thing as the right guy. There is only that guy that you can just spend the rest of your life with. Mind you, I am old enough to do anything. If the guy comes today I think I would give marriage a shot, but I’m yet to see him and I’m also not willing to search for him.

Sun News
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 05, 2009
can she invest in a better photographer? or publicist

This is why Hollywood, Bollywood and Gollywood are heads and shoulders ahead of Nigeria.

People will still process what they see, regardless if 10 million supporters are screaming at them not to.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 05, 2009

Nse Ikpe Etim – An interview with Nollywood’s IT Girl
From BN

As I sit in the comfortable arm chair in Producer, Emem Isong’s sitting room, I await the arrival of her house guest, Nse Ikpe Etim the fast rising star in Nollywood; the lady that gave Femi, (Ramsey Noah’s character) a run for his money in the movie ‘Reloaded’. Her performance as the fiery wife of a philandering husband really struck a cord with viewers, earning her fans (especially among the female folk) everywhere and it even got her nominated for Best Actress at the last Africa Movie Awards (AMA), no small feat for a newcomer.

All sorts of thoughts rush through my mind as I wait for her …. What will she be like? Haughty? Or fiery like the character, Omoze which she played in ‘Reloaded’? How do we greet? With the cursory peck? Handshake? What?!!… as the thoughts swirl round my mind, I hear footsteps on the staircase and the lady in question, Nse, floats down the staircase in a free, flowing kaftan, her hair loosely pulled into a chignon. Her face, make up-free, is glowing, radiant in the midday sun. I am taken aback by her simplicity and quiet beauty and can’t help but stare awkwardly. She smiles broadly, putting me at ease and I respond immediately, giving her the cursory peck on two cheeks. On meeting Nse for the first time, she strikes you as the girl next door, simple, almost tomboyish. She crosses her legs elegantly and I begin to pick her brain, wanting to know what makes her tick. She says I should use the acronym NILE which is her nickname.

BA: When did you know you had it in you to act?

NILE: When I was 18 though it was strictly stage and not TV. You see I studied Theatre Arts in University of Calabar.

BA: When did you go into acting full time?

NILE: Well, I acted in a soap 10yrs ago called ‘Inheritance’ then left to do things before coming back to act ‘Reloaded’.Nse, pensive

BA: Other things such as?

Nile: well, I worked in a radio station, a bank, managed a clothing store amongst other things.

BA: Trying to find your feet, right?

NILE: You could say that.

BA:What made you decide to pick ‘Reloaded?’

NILE: It was a fun script and I enjoyed reading and working on part of the dialogue. Also the producer Emem is a friend. She let me know I had it in me to handle the part.

BA: Do you enjoy harassing the living daylights out of people as you did Femi, your co-star played by Ramsey?

NILE: (laughter) Only my friends! I can be a real pain in the arse! I tell you, you take me in small doses!

BA: What brought out the fire in you in ‘Reloaded’?

NILE: The fact that I got to act with such a great actor, Ramsey. He made me up my game.

BA: Could you do half as much as Omoze (your character in ‘Reloaded’) to someone who really ticks you off?

NILE: (smiles) Everybody is capable of being an Omoze.

BA: So who is Nse Ikpe-Etim?

NILE: A simple girl from Akwa Ibom that loves to cook

With Ramsey Nouah on set

BA: Lets talk about ‘Guilty Pleasures’ your latest film.

NILE: No fiery tempers there… I’m a pampered, spoilt wife that needs her husband’s attention, not only his money, so I search for it in other places. This leads to disastrous consequences.

BA: What was it like working with Majid Michel (actor from Ghana)

NILE: Majid is a darling… so funny. We had a good laugh acting together.

BA: I saw some pretty steamy scenes in the promo… Is it all real?

NILE: (laughs) Ofcourse not… we are in the world of make-believe. We make you believe it’s real.

BA: Nigerian films are getting pretty raunchy these days and the actors more daring. It seems you like to push the envelope,

NILE: Why do you say that?

BA: Well, the (first) poster for one, in ‘Guilty Pleasures’ it like no-holds-barred…

NILE: Guilty Pleasures is a very intense love story… there is no way we could portray that without kissing… but it just that… a kiss! As for the poster… its art, pure and simple…it wasnt distasteful… i didnt reveal anything inappropriate.

Hmm… interesting… so what drives you?

NILE: Fear of failure. I hate to fail.

BA: And have you failed before?

NILE: Ofcourse but you jump up and move on.

BA: Do you have any regrets in life?

NILE: (Thoughful) Yes that I don’t have a child yet.

BA: That can be remedied.

NILE: I know I just wish I had one already.

BA: So what next for the simple girl from Akwa Ibom?

NILE: Whatever God has in store for me.

BA: Which is specifically?

NILE: Well, I have acted several films after ‘Reloaded’ some are yet to come out. There is ‘Edikan’ which is an indigenous film acted in Ibibio language; that has come out,…. there is also ‘Memories of the Heart which I acted with Ini Edo and Mona Lisa’ and ‘Bursting Out’ with Genevieve Nnaji and Omoni Oboli. They should come out hopefully before the end of the end of the year or at least the first quarter of next year.

BA: So whats next for Nse?

NILE: Isn’t that one enough for now? (general laughter)

BA: Okay….I’ll let you off the hook… for now!

(Laughter)

BA: I wish you the best, Nse.

NILE: Thank you. I wish you the same.

BA: Thanks for your time.

NILE: You’re welcome.

[url=http://www.bellanaija.com/2009/10/22/nse-ikpe-etim-%E2%80%93-an-interview-with-nollywood%E2%80%99s-it-girl-by-bola-aduwo/]Bella Naija[/url]
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by pureminded: 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2009
tpia.:

can she invest in a better photographer? or publicist

This is why Hollywood, Bollywood and Gollywood are heads and shoulders ahead of Nigeria.

People will still process what they see, regardless if 10 million supporters are screaming at them not to.
You are blessed angry This make up is undecided
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
She doesn't need make up. She is a natural beauty.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by whitesturd(f): 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
I ve never seen her before
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by omar22(m): 8:41pm On Nov 05, 2009
my eye hurts,
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 05, 2009
Filmography:

Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 05, 2009
Filmography:

Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2009
Sweetheart: Sounds like a typical boring nollywood movie
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 05, 2009
I nor say Sweetheart na the title na! tongue
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by omar22(m): 8:52pm On Nov 05, 2009
Sweetheart: Sounds like a typical boring nollywood movie

SPOT ON
One of those bollywood storyline thats been re-written
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Outstrip(f): 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2009
She's a good actress. Love her
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2009
Oops, my bad!
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by ubiaa5(f): 9:44pm On Nov 05, 2009
who is she never seen her.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 05, 2009
quick question:

why do Nollywood and even Ghollywood tend to cram as many faces and images as possible on their movie covers? Is it an African thing?

advertisement? Mass appeal?

Compare:

I could be wrong in my observations however.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
What the hell Tpiah, why must you derail a thread? Who cares about the posters? I am talking about a new coming actress so keep whatever grudge against Nollywood to yourself.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 05, 2009
keep talking nah.

In general:

btw, is this selective spambot sleeping off a hangover or what?
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by AloyEmeka6: 10:41pm On Nov 05, 2009
tpia.:

keep talking nah.

In general:

btw, is this selective spambot sleeping off a hangover or what?

can somebody tell this biatch to exit this tread with her putrid armpit?
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 05, 2009
Really liked her in 'Reloaded', very good actress
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 05, 2009
I think she has a magic aura. She is just adorable.
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 05, 2009
michelin89:

I think she has a magic aura. She is just adorable.
Isn't she just? cheesy
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 05, 2009
Have you also watched Guilty Pleasures? I mean she was the top.

She is just naturally beautiful. Noticed those two beauty marks on her left cheek?
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
michelin89:

Have you also watched Guilty Pleasures? I mean she was the top.

She is just naturally beautiful. Noticed those two beauty marks on her left cheek?
Nope, the only movie I've watched with her is Reloaded, will surely check out Guilty Pleasure though, yeah I noticed smiley
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by muffins(f): 1:35am On Nov 06, 2009
Reloaded is really boring. tongue
Re: Nse Ikpe Etim: New Nollywood Sweetheart by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 06, 2009
of course her fans will be offended by detractors, but the point is nollywood should be beyond this level by now.

if you say someone is good, then your manner of showcasing the person should be an acceptable standard even to those who havent watched him/her perform.

we have gazillions of makeup artists, ITs, professional photographers in Nigeria. Not to mention spinmasters aka PROs.

ignoring these kinds of details make us seem unserious.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Empress Njamah Celebrates Her Birthday In Native Outfit (Photos) / Ice Prince Pictured With Gabriel Igbinedion, The Esama Of Benin Kingdom / War:chioma Chukwuka Vs Muma Gee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.