Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,145 members, 7,977,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 03:54 AM

Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. (670 Views)

Atheist, Agnostic, Freethinker Get In / How Islam Managed To Solve The Most Nagging Problem In Christianity / I Want To Take Questions From Creationists And Educate Them On Evolution. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by CatfishBilly: 12:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
A little background on myself. I was born and brought up in a religious family. You know, the type that did night devotion and morning devotions daily. I'm a medical doctor, though I've practically been more or less inquisitive throughout my adolescence. It was my being inquisitive that made me question why Christian folks swallowed everything given to them hook, line and sinker. I've always been of the belief that everything has a logical explanation, so seeing teachings and bible scriptures which utterly defied science, reasoning and logic made me question how true the whole Christianity thing is. Do I believe in a supreme being? I don't know. I've had times where I was convinced that he doesn't exist for example

1) The thousand and 1 prayer requests my parents prayed that haven't been answered to this day.

2)Watching relatives of patients pray fervently for their loved ones and they still end up dying. A particular incident that truly made me question his existence was when a mother prayed for her baby non stop to the extent that she had no more energy to pray, there were no more words coming out of her mouth, other patient relatives around helped her continue her prayers. Baby still died.

3) The countless prayers and curses Nigerians rain on our leaders for their looting of the treasury and our sufferings and these same leaders still live far better lives with their families compared to those praying against them.

I've also had instances in my life where things happened to me that defied logical explanation. For example,

1) When I was stranded in a park because I didn't have money to pay for my fare, I just sat on a bench trying to figure out what to do, someone walked up to me and gave me the exact amount of money I needed. I never told anyone that I was stranded.

2) When I was stranded in Ghana around 11pm, the hotel I was supposed to stay in turned out to be overbooked, I went back to the only place I knew in Accra which was Chisco park in Circle. I am painfully shy when it comes to talking to new people. Immediately I walked into the park, this dude that was in the bus with us from Nigeria just walked up to me and started chatting me up, told me about his family, his job and all that. Then he said that I looked like a brilliant person, someone who spends all his time reading books, that I should go clubbing with him for a change, that I shouldn't worry if I don't have a hotel room, that he would take me to hotel. That was how I followed this total stranger to trek round the streets of Accra and sure enough, he got me a hotel room, but I declined his clubbing offer.

Presently, I'm of the opinion that even if God exists, he is not in anyway like our earthly religions have painted him to be.

I've been trying to research some of my questions and I've gotten some answers here on nairaland. Special shout out to hardmirror and SirJohn for their threads.

I'll be asking some questions here from time to time and I'll want anybody who has answers to please drop them. 

My first series of questions is on prophecies. Now, like I earlier stated, I believe everything has an explanation, but this encounter has bugged me ever since it happened and I'm here looking for answers.

1) Someone came to the house and prophesied that my uncle would be involved in a car accident and he won't be harmed, true enough, a week later, he was involved in a serious car accident and he came out unscathed.

2) This same person prophesied that my cousin was gonna be a very wealthy person. He just graduated from the university. Sure enough, dude is very wealthy today. 

I've tried explaining this one, nothing is coming up. So, every input is welcome.

I'll be dropping more questions subsequently.

Thank you all.
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 27, 2016
Let me start first by saying, you're right, even if a God does exist, he's not like any religion paints him to be, I don't think he answers prayers or even thinks humans are more special than anything else.
Ad for your two questions.
The logical response would be that it was pure luck, a coincidence (Has the person ever made any prediction that didn't come true?)
The other less rational part of me might be willing to consider it as unexplainable human intuition. Either way he was lucky and he won't always be right.
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by CatfishBilly: 8:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
I think it is more than luck. For a total stranger to make 2 predictions that came to pass, I mean, what are the odds?
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by KingEbukaNaija: 9:40pm On Nov 27, 2016
Lennycool:
Let me start first by saying, you're right, even if a God does exist, he's not like any religion paints him to be, I don't think he answers prayers or even thinks humans are more special than anything else.

Because you don't think God answers , does not mean He does not .
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by EyeHateGod: 10:01pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Since when did Yahweh start answering prayer that made odinary plane fly?

And what makes you think the God he is talking about Is Yahweh? Or Jesus?
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by KingEbukaNaija: 10:03pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Since when did Yahweh start answering prayer that made odinary plane fly?

shut up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by EyeHateGod: 10:04pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

shut up
Get the fvck out of here you no get sense at all...
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by KingEbukaNaija: 10:06pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Get the fvck out of here you no get sense at all...

hokay

1 Like

Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Pray to God to feed all the starving children around the world for a month
Pray to him to heal all the good sick people around the world
Let me make it easier Pray to him to give you heads every time you flip a coin, 50 times in a row.
Your prayers will not work for every single one of these prayers?
If you had your arm amputated, do you think praying would bring it back?
If you had a large cut on your body, would praying heal it up immediately?

Answered prayers are either coincidences or trivial.
Pray for anything really impossible and it won't happen.
Prayers don't work.
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 27, 2016
CatfishBilly:
I think it is more than luck. For a total stranger to make 2 predictions that came to pass, I mean, what are the odds?
Has he made any that didn't come true?
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by KingEbukaNaija: 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
Lennycool:

Pray to God to feed all the starving children around the world for a month
Pray to him to heal all the good sick people around the world
Let me make it easier Pray to him to give you heads every time you flip a coin, 50 times in a row.
Your prayers will not work for every single one of these prayers?
If you had your arm amputated, do you think praying would bring it back?
If you had a large cut on your body, would praying heal it up immediately?

Answered prayers are either coincidences or trivial.
Pray for anything really impossible and it won't happen.
Prayers don't work.

You reason like a child

Anyway you are an atheist so I don't expect much

1 Like

Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by CatfishBilly: 10:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
Lennycool:
Has he made any that didn't come true?
I don't know. He made just those predictions and we've not seen him since.
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by butterflylion: 10:49pm On Nov 27, 2016
Talking to them is like returning to primary school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by butterflylion: 10:52pm On Nov 27, 2016
CatfishBilly:
Your Moniket cracked me up real good.
Re: Some Nagging Questions From A Budding Freethinker. by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
CatfishBilly:

I don't know. He made just those predictions and we've not seen him since.
Hmm well you'll need to observe him more I guess, time will tell

(1) (Reply)

If You Had To Play A Game With God For A Chance For Resurrection. / How The Chronicler Undermines The Exodus Story: Ephraimite Genealogy / I Haven't Seen Fulani Christians In Real Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.