Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,527 members, 7,905,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 02:18 AM

Networking Vb Applications - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Networking Vb Applications (3193 Views)

Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Networking Vb Applications by jek1471: 4:26pm On Nov 09, 2009
I have an application I developed using vb6 but I need it to run on a network smoothly so that more than one user can use it at a time. What do I do?
Re: Networking Vb Applications by s4: 4:33pm On Nov 09, 2009
Learn using Winsock.
It should help.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Nov 09, 2009
@Poster, learn to give more DETAILED information on what you have, what you hope to achieve and tools available to you and that way people can better help you.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by jek1471: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2009
s4:

Learn using Winsock.
It should help.

I have used winsock it did not solve the problem. Winsock seems to have a lot of limitations. It does not even work well.I even checked documentations online and found out that a lot of people also have the same problem with winsock - it does not work well
I still need help

Kobojunkie:

@Poster, learn to give more DETAILED information on what you have, what you hope to achieve and tools available to you and that way people can better help you.

I really wonder what you want to know again. I developed this application. It is an inventory application. It runs very well on a single system but I want to network it and it's giving me a hell of problems. Funny enough I've been able to network the hotel management system I developed using the same vb6 in the same location but the Inventory system is not responding fine.

It keeps giving me the error:

error 3051 - "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file <name>. It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. (Error 3051)"
Re: Networking Vb Applications by BigStar1(m): 2:55pm On Nov 10, 2009
That means u don't have any problem networking a vb application. Just try to check ur steps and the codes it could be just a simple refresh that's causing the error. Moreso, i wish u gist me on how u did the Hotel mgt sys. Thanks

I will be glad to receive ur mail @ bigstar4sure@yahoo.com

CHEERS!!!
Re: Networking Vb Applications by Beaf: 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2009
jek1471:

I have used winsock it did not solve the problem. Winsock seems to have a lot of limitations. It does not even work well.I even checked documentations online and found out that a lot of people also have the same problem with winsock - it does not work well
I still need help

I really wonder what you want to know again. I developed this application. It is an inventory application. It runs very well on a single system but I want to network it and it's giving me a hell of problems. Funny enough I've been able to network the hotel management system I developed using the same vb6 in the same location but the Inventory system is not responding fine.

It keeps giving me the error:

error 3051 - "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file <name>. It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. (Error 3051)"

You have a problem with your connection being opened by a user without the file permissions to open the db. Try "Full Control" for the connecting user and work downwards. Better still, dump your file based MS Access db for Sql Server Express (you will have to enable remote connections). Sql Server Express is free.

Don't you think if you had posted the error info above, you could have recieved a solution since (God alone knows how many times I have passed by this thread). When people who can help ask for more information, either supply it or help yourself.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by jek1471: 10:06am On Nov 11, 2009
Beaf:

You have a problem with your connection being opened by a user without the file permissions to open the db. Try "Full Control" for the connecting user and work downwards. Better still, dump your file based MS Access db for Sql Server Express (you will have to enable remote connections). Sql Server Express is free.

Don't you think if you had posted the error info above, you could have recieved a solution since (God alone knows how many times I have passed by this thread). When people who can help ask for more information, either supply it or help yourself.

Thanks my brother, I'll try to download sql server express today. Which version do u think will work best for me?

Big Star:

That means u don't have any problem networking a vb application. Just try to check your steps and the codes it could be just a simple refresh that's causing the error. Moreso, i wish u gist me on how u did the Hotel mgt sys. Thanks

I will be glad to receive your mail @ bigstar4sure@yahoo.com

CHEERS!!!

I'm also checking my code again very carefully. God bless you
I'll keep you posted!
Re: Networking Vb Applications by Beaf: 9:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
jek1471:

Thanks my brother, I'll try to download sql server express today. Which version do u think will work best for me?

I'm also checking my code again very carefully. God bless you
I'll keep you posted!

If you have control over the system, then go for 2008 (your system should be up to date with windows updates). Otherwise, go for 2005.
One thing to note is that there are slight differences in sql between access and sql server.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by jek1471: 11:21am On Nov 12, 2009
I have downloaded and installed 2008. It's like I'll need some tutorials to get started. Can u help?
Re: Networking Vb Applications by Beaf: 2:01am On Nov 14, 2009
Fire on lets see.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by olutope200: 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2009
Running a visual basic application over a network is simple. Set your application path to the network directory. that's all. the following sample code connects d application to an SQL Server database on a server named MyServer

Note: I use ADODB

dim cn as new adodb.connection
dim rs as new adodb.rescordset

Sub ConnectToDatabase()
cn.connctionstring="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=admin;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=School;Data Source=MyServer"
cn.open

End Sub

user id is the sql server serverusername
catalog is the database name
data source is the Server name

For MS Access, simply place the database and your executable file(compiled application) in your desired location and run it from anywhere.

Sub ConnectToDatabase()
cn.connctionstring="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\school;Persist Security Info=False"
cn.open

End Sub

Note: the App.Path in the connection string will get the location of the database/file
OLEDB.4.0 for MS Access 2000 or higher
OLEDB.3.5 for earlier version

You can call me if you still have any question - 08036774862
Re: Networking Vb Applications by olutope200: 3:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
To avoid errors relating to multiple users, set your CursorType to AdOpenStatic and your Locktype to AdLockOptimistic.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by tolubonnke: 4:17am On Nov 20, 2009
i have been sending this request for some time now but i've really not got any reply.
i use access for my vb right from time and i need some one to bring me up on using mysql and microsoft sql/
the most difficult part has been the connection with vb6 and making it work on networking
pls help me i am counting on u guys.
a simple application as an illustration will be very alright.
thanks.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by kojoyan: 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2009
Well I have read through the issue on networking application. Below are my contributions:

Network or Distributed Application
Major problem with this type of application is what pass through the link at a time. You must have an apriopriate architecture design.

With good knowledge of ADO or ADO.NET Microsoft have done a good job for us. If internet access could be realtime online, it will never be a successfull project. (If you are familiar with ASP, why do we need request and response objects?) So the best method is to use batch offline processing communication. To sove many problems, think of com+, Ado Batch processing or ADO persist (Disconnected Recordset) or using ASP with ADO this will fully inplement internet method of communication. I am talking from CSLA (Component Scalable Logical Architecture) for distributed objects.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by StanIyke(m): 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2009
Hey guyz may u shud try dis, itz vry simple. I've used it n it is workin. Letz go: after networkin ur systems the normal way. Carry d folder where ur Ms Aces{dbase} is, take it 2 server n paste it there. But rember afta dat, then use ur Adodc 2 look 4 dt path 2d server, save d path then package the program n instal it on servers bt rember 2 share d folder in d server. Datz al. 4 more info, cal stan on 08038088596 {midnit kalz is allowd}. Stay bles. Shalom
Re: Networking Vb Applications by StanIyke(m): 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
Hey i meant instal it on d clients computers afta packaging it. Cheers.
Re: Networking Vb Applications by dotzok: 4:20pm On Dec 21, 2009
You must create a setup file nfor your app (u may use Aplication deployment wizard)

you must install this setup on all worstations from where u want to access the application.

Share a folder on the host system and put the .exe and your Access file. Your connection must have read , "Provider = Microsoft Jet Ole DB 3.51 , " & App.path & "\yourdb.mdb".

Other systems must connect to the .exe in the shared folder and NOT the one on their system (remember uv run the setup on the workstation). \if u get confused all the more, dont hesitate asking again. I use it very well
Re: Networking Vb Applications by dotzok: 4:28pm On Dec 21, 2009
Running to SQL would not solve the problem because SQL has its challenges too.

But SQL is faaaaaaaaaaarr beta than Access, but dont consider running to SQL cos of the challenge, get this solved then migrate to SQL
Re: Networking Vb Applications by waddaphak: 9:57am On Jun 09, 2012
hi guyz.. im just gonna ask how can i make a SCHOOL ORGANIZATION MODULE VB PROJECT with setting up a 2 workstations with 1 server?
the server will only hold the MSAccess file and then the 2 workstations will fill-up or use the VB PROJECT for filling up information for membership..
how can i do this? the module itself is working already with 1 workstation.. how can i set this up for network? thanksss

(1) (Reply)

Please List Of Good Universities In Nigeria Offering Computer Science Bsc / Embedded Systems And Robotics In Nigeria / Help To How To Create A Quiz System Using VB.NET

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.