Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,252 members, 7,891,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:47 AM

Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? (677 Views)

What Do You Think About Nigeria Having An Association Controlling Blogging / Help Me Out! Disk Space Exhausted. / What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by DualCore1: 10:13am On Nov 10, 2009
K, now I'm blank its like I've said all I wanted to say right in the title.

Oh well let me think, yea this concept of unlimited offers is one I am never down with. Personally, when I start seeing unlimited space offers from any web host I start losing interest in their credibility.

Can disk space really be unlimited? Can your local hard drive store unlimited data? C'mon its common sense. Ok here's what I'm thinking: If I get to host my site on one of these unlimited space plans with a hosting company and I upload about 500GB of data (what the heck, its unlimited so don't give me that look), do you think the host company won't call me up and be like. . .errh. . .dude, 500GB on your account? c'mon you raping our server mehn.
If its a Nigerian host company, they will swear juju for you sharply no dulling

So what's the point of offering the public something you cant truly give? What's the point of lying?

Fact: No storage medium can be truly unlimited in its capacity. (prove me wrong and we'll do some bottle tonight all on me)

Well now some hosts have coined the term "unmetered". This is as per bandwidth (data transfer). Its been seen as a safe word because they are not promising you anything as unlimited, its just unmetered. Some are clever enough to put you on a 100Mbit connection and cap it once they see you start taking undue advantage of the "unmetered" concept. This concept is another lie. How can something be "unmetered" and you still get to know when I'm "overusing" it and you then cap my connection from 100Mbit to 10Mbit?
Re: Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by yawatide(f): 10:46am On Nov 10, 2009
I host my sites with hostmonster.  Everything there is "unlimited" - emails, storage, bandwidth.  I have about 20 clients under my main account and my main hog is images.

I doubt everything is actually unlimited.   What I think happens is, they have done research to know what the average amount ppl use is, maybe plus or minus a certain percentage.  They then bank on the fact that many won't exceed this.  If you are on a shared host, they then distribute the storage amongst accounts, robbing peter to pay paul, so to speak.

Case in point:
Again, I said everything is "unlimited" under my plan.  Looking at the "usage" area, I see that I am actually limited to 5000 email accounts, 1000 ftp accounts and 100 sql databases to mention but a few.  Looking at this, technically, I don't see how I will even reach 1000 email accounts when you consider that in 4 years of using hostmonster, I have only managed to use 20 emails  cool

I even tell my clients they get unlimited everything but in reality, many clients get, at the most 1 email (info@) account so I guess the "deceit" trickles down from the top  tongue

So my broda, na legal scam, a.k.a "scheme" (na you use your hand sign d contract as opposed to naija style).  According to all the laws of economics, nothing is unlimited, well, maybe except for our wants.
Re: Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by mrperfect(m): 12:20pm On Nov 10, 2009
My brother God bless you this is common challenges we are having in this industry.
Technically, there is no such thing as “unlimited” bandwidth, and in practical terms simply indicates that there is not a hard limit on bandwidth usage, rather an understanding that reasonable bandwidth usage is always permitted.
Unfortunately, it could easily be abused for those webhosting provider who don't know how or have the resources to back the claim up.
Is best to pay for a particular disk space and know what you paid for than trying to get something for nothing and end up with nothing for something.
Re: Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by Afam(m): 4:48pm On Nov 10, 2009
It all boils down to credibility. Unfortunately, many Nigerians believe everything foreigners say.

There is nothing like unlimited disk space. The only unlimited thing you can get is bandwidth and before you get that then you must have paid a decent amount to justify that.

Web hosting software tools come with the feature to allow you list the advertised features and then the actual quotas.

People who find it hard to believe facts usually lose their cash and by the time they understand the facts it is usually late for them.
Re: Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by dsnet: 10:41pm On Nov 10, 2009
unlimited disk space offers are a sleight of hand. they take advantage of customers' ignorance.
Re: Unlimited Disk Space Offers - What Do You Think About Them? by item: 12:42am On Nov 11, 2009
Disk cant be unlimited. I have used many host that offer unlimited space. When you have a certain number of files, they will suspend your account.

I will post an email from one of them later as my email refused to open now.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Professional / Pls Help With Joomla Software / Anyone Here Worked On Scratch Card Technology Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.