Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,260 members, 7,880,981 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:23 AM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (95669 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tpiah2: 3:50am On Aug 17, 2009
rereading Gone with the Wind.

so touching, disturbing, tragic and every character making so many mistakes (except Mellie of course).

hard to beat Scarlett for all round selfishness, greed and meanness sha. Yet the writer almost forces us to root for her and forget her failings.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 4:10am On Aug 17, 2009
tpiah*:

rereading Gone with the Wind.

so touching, disturbing, tragic and every character making so many mistakes (except Mellie of course).

hard to beat Scarlett for all round selfishness, greed and meanness sha. Yet the writer almost forces us to root for her and forget her failings.

I agree. I love Gone With The Wind. I remember getting so into it, I read it under the table in SS2 during classes. I like a happy ending though, so I'm really happy the other woman (Alexandra Ripley) wrote the sequel (Scarlett) which though not as good as the original, at least leaves you satisfied like there's a conclusion.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tpiah2: 4:43am On Aug 17, 2009
Tatase:

I agree. I love Gone With The Wind. I remember getting so into it, I read it under the table in SS2 during classes. I like a happy ending though, so I'm really happy the other woman (Alexandra Ripley) wrote the sequel (Scarlett) which though not as good as the original, at least leaves you satisfied like there's a conclusion.

true.

The sequel doesnt come close to the original but one has to make do with it, I guess. Gone with the Wind took the author ten years to write, I heard, so its hard trying to match that. undecided

After this particular rereading, I feel Scarlett either impulsively married Ashley, (she always marries someone when she's desperate), returned to Tara and hooked up with someone else, moved north after a while and "became" a Yankee,(probably meeting Rhett or someone like him there) or any number of alternate endings. She was only twenty eight, for crying out loud. undecided

Rhett did say he'd be checking on her every once in while to keep up the appearance of marriage, so all hope isnt actually lost.

She could also go back to New Orleans where she had her honeymoon, since they'd been so happy there and the place held nostalgic/sad memories for Rhett. That's the one region where he was always sober, I think.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 5:17am On Aug 17, 2009
Hmmm. . . I guess that could have happened. It's just as far-fetched as the sequel that did get written. I hated Ashley from the start, he's the kind of weakling coward that will wait for the cover of darkness to form a KKK-type institution. He and Scarlett would never work out, she would totally be the man in that relationship.

I think what made me really sad at the end of GWTW is that I feel like Rhett had totally given up on Scarlett like he would never go back to her and their story together was over, and as sad as that is, you the reader kind of understand because it just felt like too much had happened and to many awful things said and done (esp. by Scarelett) and you couldn't really see a way for them to overcome that.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tpiah2: 5:34am On Aug 17, 2009
Tatase:

Hmmm. . . I guess that could have happened. It's just as far-fetched as the sequel that did get written. I hated Ashley from the start, he's the kind of weakling coward that will wait for the cover of darkness to form a KKK-type institution. He and Scarlett would never work out, she would totally be the man in that relationship.

I think what made me really sad at the end of GWTW is that I feel like Rhett had totally given up on Scarlett like he would never go back to her and their story together was over, and as sad as that is, you the reader kind of understand because it just felt like too much had happened and to many awful things said and done (esp. by Scarelett) and you couldn't really see a way for them to overcome that.

Ashley is just a weird kind of person- he annoyed me with the way he refused to admit his love for Melanie and kept playing with Scarlett's feelings even though he couldnt respect her. Though Scarlett is so daft when it comes to love sha. In other things too: "She thought hard but couldnt remember any family in the neighborhood with the name Borgia" grin

Funny how they were all at cross purposes and everything started unwinding as soon as Melanie fell sick- all their previous aims and goals just seemed finally seemed so empty to them.

I do feel Rhett shouldnt have taken it so hard when she said she didnt want him touching her anymore. Surely he knew her better than that- I was quite disappointed.

sorry I'm going on and on- the book just made me so reflective. Scarlett is one of the most flawed heroines in history but also very brave regardless.

I just checked reviews on two other sequels to the book and none still matches GWTW. oh well. I havent read them but maybe one of these days.

The Winds of Tara (unauthorized sequel) and Rhett Butler's People.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Suzanne84(f): 10:46am On Aug 17, 2009
The Duchess by Amanda Foreman
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 17, 2009
ANGELS AND DEMONS, prequel to Davinci Code,
oh people, i love that IN HER EYES by that naijalove babe,
very fascinating story,
i think one of the characters might be the seeker, well, the character was close ,
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Moyola(f): 8:08pm On Aug 18, 2009
Lyn Andrews - When Daylight Comes
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by 2Angels1: 9:09pm On Aug 18, 2009
i am reading BAYOU FEVER by kathleen y'barbo
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Donvilo(m): 2:09am On Aug 19, 2009
[b][/b][color=#990000][/color]WATCHERS by Dean R. Koontz.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by SamMilla1(m): 1:01pm On Aug 19, 2009
just finished DIVINE JUSTICE 6 david balddacci

and
angels and demons - dan brown

some scary book

now on the associates - john grisham
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by muhsin(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
Sam Milla:

just finished DIVINE JUSTICE 6 david balddacci

and
angels and demons - dan brown

some scary book

now on the associates - john grisham

You really have read great novels. I enjoyed both the two you've just finished.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by muhsin(m): 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2009
Secret of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Suzanne84(f): 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2009
Ake - The Years of Childhood by Wole Soyinka.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by julianH(m): 3:56pm On Aug 20, 2009
I am currently reading: "ATTRACTING AND KEEPING YOUR IDEAL MAN" By Ajuruchi Henry.

It is a very insightful piece for women who have failed to keep their men interested.

Na one Nija bros write am sha.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by SamMilla1(m): 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2009
SUBMARINE by TOM CLANCY
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Magz(m): 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2009
"Black Relationships, Mating and Marriage" by Ernestine Walker
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by oyinda3(f): 9:21pm On Aug 21, 2009
crime and punishment - fyodor dostoevsky

woww what an interesting book but so looong. I won't be finishing it soon so I will have to go buy my own copy as well as brothers karamazov (haven't finished this either) because they're wayyyyyyy tooo long to read and digest in those 3-week lending period libraries give.

but very good book. everyone should read his books
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dgreatrock(m): 11:13pm On Aug 21, 2009
stil not through with john hagee's revelation of the truth
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by skydancer: 12:51am On Aug 22, 2009
Just finished 100 Greatest Leadership principles of all times. It's great
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by iice(f): 4:40pm On Aug 24, 2009
The Face - Dean Kootz
Before that, i read The Taking - Dean Kootz (cartload of tripe angry)
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by eldee(m): 1:19pm On Aug 25, 2009
Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

Kinda into social moral dilemna now.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Suzanne84(f): 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2009
eldee:

Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

Kinda into social moral dilemna now.

Is Change of Heart any good?
I really like My Sister's Keeper, it's one of her best books IMO.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by eldee(m): 7:03pm On Aug 25, 2009
Suzanne84:

Is Change of Heart any good?
I really like My Sister's Keeper, it's one of her best books IMO.
It's not unputdownable like her other books
But it seems like this one will definitely give one of those endings you never forget.

If you really want to do Picoult, get 19 Minutes . . . now that's a good one.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dgreatrock(m): 8:46pm On Aug 25, 2009
anyone ever came across the book 'take not your Holy Spirit from me'?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by elowa: 3:34pm On Aug 26, 2009
48 Laws of Power
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 27, 2009
Velocity. . . . . .Dean koontz
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tubabie(f): 9:27am On Aug 27, 2009
Just finished these two

Glamour. . . . . . . . . . Louise Bagshawe

Remember me. . . . . . . . Sophie Kinsella

It's been ages I read a romantic novel, so it was a pleasant break from my usual horror,thrillers,war,espionage,politics and law. smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by SamMilla1(m): 11:16am On Aug 27, 2009
muhsin:

muhsin:

yea those aere great books.

Now on TSAR by TED BELL

Russians planning to storm United States
lol
nice book
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2009
Simple truth by david baldacci
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Moyola(f): 9:22pm On Aug 27, 2009
Juz done wiv - Angels of Mercy - Lyn Andrews

Now. . . My Sister's Child - same author!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bluespice(f): 9:46pm On Aug 27, 2009
last read books

Pet semetary - danielle steel
Misery - stephen king which i absolutely loved
The dark tower - the gun slinger by the same author (i didnt particularly find the book challenging but as an intro, it was okay.)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (100)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / A Story: Broken Vows / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.