Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,422 members, 7,888,298 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:26 AM

Victor Moses: From Premier League Nomad To Superstar! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Victor Moses: From Premier League Nomad To Superstar! (815 Views)

Fernerbahce Signs Victor Moses From Chelsea On Loan (Photo) / The Remarkable Journey Of Coutinho : From Anonymity To Superstar / Victor Moses: From An Asylum-Seeking Orphan To Premier League Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Victor Moses: From Premier League Nomad To Superstar! by gtrust: 2:35am On Dec 04, 2016
LONDON -- After three years as a Premier League nomad, Victor Moses is finally back where he always wanted to be.

And as he sits in a room overlooking the sun-drenched first-team training pitch at Chelsea's Cobham training complex, there is more than a hint of indignation in his words at the fact he has been made to wait this long.

"I'm delighted to be back," Moses told ESPN FC. "I thought I did well in my first season here, but due to circumstances -- a manager going, a manager coming in -- I wasn't really given a chance."

The first manager in question was Rafa Benitez, wildly unpopular with Chelsea supporters before and throughout a toxic seven-month interim spell at Stamford Bridge, but also a man under whom Moses made 32 appearances between November 2012 and May 2013 and scored seven goals -- four of which came in the Blues' run to the Europa League final.

The second was Jose Mourinho, welcomed as a returning hero to Stamford Bridge the following summer but also a man who rapidly concluded that, despite his promising start to life at Chelsea, Moses had no part to play in his new era.

"He never spoke to me," Moses said of Mourinho, who visits Stamford Bridge as Manchester United manager for the first time on Sunday. "I thought in my head, 'He's got his own players already.'

"I think we chatted a couple of times on the phone -- he asked if I was alright at Liverpool [where Moses spent the 2013-14 season on loan], but that was it."

ChelseaChelsea 4
Manchester UnitedManchester United 0
was the final score!

Antonio Conte has taken a rather different approach. On arrival at Chelsea in July, the Italian asked the club hierarchy to let him have a look at Moses in preseason. After two friendly matches and a week-long training camp in Austria, he decided that he liked what he saw.

Having revived Moses' morale, Conte then set about reinventing his game. Chelsea's switch to a 3-4-3 system in a 2-0 victory over Hull City at the start of the month has shifted the dynamics of the squad in many interesting ways, but no development has been quite as surprising as the Nigeria international's emergence as an accomplished and effective right wing-back.

"I've never actually played the position before," Moses admits. "I kind of like it. As long as I'm helping the team, I just want to play football.

"I've got [Cesar] Azpilicueta next to me as well and he's always talking to me, making sure I'm in the right position. He makes it a lot easier for me because he understands the role more than I do. That's helped me [defensively], and offensively it's given me the chance to get the ball one vs. one and go at defenders. That's good for the team and good for me.

"The formation we're playing really suits the way I play, and the other players as well. We're very intense, we want to shut down our opponents and get the ball forward on counter-attacks. We're looking solid at the back at the moment as well, so we're very pleased with that."

Moses scored his third goal of the season during last Saturday's 3-0 win over Leicester City, latching onto a brilliant flick from academy graduate Nathaniel Chalobah ("Did he mean it? I'm not sure," Moses jokes) in a moment that seemed symbolic of the more inclusive style Conte has brought to Stamford Bridge.

"The manager who is here now is giving everyone a chance -- even the young lads," Moses said. "I'm pleased that he's here and I've just got to go out there and enjoy my football. As long as you work hard, the manager will see it and he'll give you an opportunity."

Over the past three years Moses has often spent summer weeks at Cobham feeling as though his qualities were being ignored, as he built up his match fitness for the benefit of other Premier League clubs. "I've always had a good preseason here and never really had a look-in," he added.

"When the new manager came in, I just wanted to see how it went. It's a blessing for me that he enjoys the way I play and appreciates the effort I put in. It gives you a lot of confidence when the manager believes in you."

Moses' loan journey at Liverpool took a hit when an emerging Raheem Sterling eventually took his spot on the right flank and he became largely a spectator as Brendan Rodgers' men embarked on a Premier League title charge that was only derailed on the last weekend of April by Steven Gerrard's slip and the stubbornness of Mourinho's Chelsea.

"I had a good time at Liverpool," Moses insisted. "They were great lads. The manager had his reasons to keep me on the bench and at the same time they were on a good run... I did watch the game. The better team won. Chelsea came with a game plan and it worked."

He was a more regular presence at Stoke City the following season, despite a calf injury in November that sidelined him for eight weeks and a hamstring problem that curtailed his campaign in April. Chelsea, by now top of the Premier League, tried to recall him in January, only for the Potters to veto the deal.

"My agent spoke to me about it," Moses said, with no bitterness at a missed opportunity to earn a winners' medal at Stamford Bridge.

"At the time I was doing well at Stoke and I said to him that I would like to go back to Chelsea and compete for the title, but I left it up to both clubs. Chelsea ended up winning the league anyway, and I was happy for the lads."

Victor Moses' workrate and effort in training caught the eye of Conte right away.
Last season began with Moses' only appearance under Mourinho -- an eight-minute cameo against Arsenal in the Community Shield -- before he was sent to West Ham. He was injury struck again in early December, by which time Chelsea's Premier League title defence had crumbled into ruin and the manager was soon to depart.

Conte's steady revival of Chelsea since the summer has been aided by an infusion of players not scarred by last season's disaster, and Moses says the squad's focus is on the challenges ahead rather than past problems.

"It's just about building game by game," he insists. "We don't want last season to happen again, so everyone is working hard and it's all about togetherness.

"We've got that this season. We're constantly talking to each other on the pitch to make sure we don't make mistakes, and if someone does make a mistake, it's about encouraging them not to make the same one again."

Having endured three years out of the Chelsea fold, this philosophy of second chances suits Moses more than most. It's remarkable to realise that he is still only 25, with plenty of time and even more desire to make up lost ground.

"There's still a lot more to come from me," he says. "I've been in the game for a long time but I feel like I've just started. I still need to establish myself at the top level, to work hard and go out there and express myself. As long as the manager believes in me and believes in the team, we'll keep fighting hard."

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=2977903

http://www.espnfc.us/club/chelsea/363/blog/post/2977511/premier-league-victor-moses-is-enjoying-life-at-antonio-contes-chelsea
Re: Victor Moses: From Premier League Nomad To Superstar! by dikeigbo2(m): 6:12am On Dec 04, 2016
Good lguy,patience, perseverance and dedication to duties are the most success tools.keep keeping it on bro.

(1) (Reply)

Reports REVEALS If Diego Costa Is Interested In China Move / Winning Ways / ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.