Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:00 AM

Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? (1718 Views)

A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 5:27pm On Dec 04, 2016
I have been fortunate to travel to many countries in my life.I have never come across the name Boniface outside Nigeria and in Nigeria it is mostly an Igbo Phenomenon.
Is it an Igbo word and what does it mean please
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by Tiffbuxas: 5:30pm On Dec 04, 2016
because they have boni boni face.... buh op ready oo.... they are coming for you... hope ure not an afonja
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by sisisioge: 5:45pm On Dec 04, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by ucheheart(m): 5:48pm On Dec 04, 2016
Ask Google
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by Eggcelent(m): 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2016
Boniface is not even common among the Igbos. The name has more popularity among the Edos, Kogi & Delta
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by Cuddlebugie(f): 9:35pm On Dec 04, 2016
Tiffbuxas:
because they have boni boni face....
OH LORDY !!!
This cracked me up cheesy
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by Triniti(m): 12:26am On Dec 05, 2016
so the name boniface is akin to Igbo people alone? .....smh
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by oboy3(m): 2:45pm On Dec 05, 2016
Why do Yoruba's always bear tajudeen and saka,or kamoru

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
oboy3:
Why do Yoruba's always bear tajudeen and saka,or kamoru
This is the Boniface thread OK? You can start a Gringory thread if you like but let us concentrate here or Boniface and allied matters

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by somegirl1: 9:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
Boniface is common among Ijaws not Igbos.
It's the name of a saint so mainly borne by Roman Catholics.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 9:25pm On Dec 05, 2016
Ijaws are Catholic?

I used to think it was Igbo language
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by jantavanta(m): 9:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ijaws are Catholic?

I used to think it was Igbo language

Bon-i-face, 'bon' in French means fine. Therefore, Boniface means fine face.

The name is used in predominantly Catholic populations.
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2016
jantavanta:

Bon-i-face, 'bon' in French means fine. Therefore, Boniface means fine face.

The name is used in predominantly Catholic populations.
Really , Hm
is there no French word for face and why do Igbos like the name so much>
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by Legitman22(m): 12:09am On Dec 06, 2016
Boniface is from an old latin name BONIFATIUS, which means "Good Fate" Boni= Good, Fatius =Fate.
It is mostly answered by Catholics, more than five Popes answer Boniface. So Boniface means Good Fate.
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by jantavanta(m): 10:35am On Dec 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
Really , Hm
is there no French word for face and why do Igbos like the name so much>

Good question. The French word for face is 'Le visage'. But I believe that it is also 'face' in older French or an older European language e.g. Latin.

Some European names tend to be more common among certain Nigerian communities because the earliest Catholic missionaries concentrated on certain communities.
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by WINNERMENTALITY: 4:18am On Dec 07, 2016
I have never come across the name Boniface outside Nigeria and in Nigeria it is mostly an Igbo Phenome
The Op actually lied to arrive at his question.. So he wanted to stir up another bashing tread whearas google is there to show you Bonaventure, Boniface are names consistent with roman catholics and there are many popular roman catholic priest and popes that answers the name outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 12:49pm On Dec 07, 2016
WINNERMENTALITY:
I have never come across the name Boniface outside Nigeria and in Nigeria it is mostly an Igbo Phenome
The Op actually lied to arrive at his question.. So he wanted to stir up another bashing tread whearas google is there to show you Bonaventure, Boniface are names consistent with roman catholics and there are many popular roman catholic priest and popes that answers the name outside Nigeria.
Do not be daft.Are you literate at all.What lie?

I said I have never come across the name outside Nigeria.I did not say it does not exist all I know is I have never met anyone called Boniface that is not a Nigerian this is equally true for Goodluck,Sunday,Monday,Friday,Godspower, Callistus,Hygienus and so on I have never met people with those names outside Nigeria. Every single Boniface I know is Igbo and that is the issue here. Why do Igbos like ansring Boniface
Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by soonest(f): 7:35pm On Dec 07, 2016
Always concerned about the igbos. Complex or obsession? Methinks it's Love

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? by omonnakoda: 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
soonest:
Always concerned about the igbos. Complex or obsession? Methinks it's Love
certainly I love you and every Igbo person who loves themselves.That is my only condition for loving people : They must love themselves

(1) (Reply)

Ogoni people / Igbos Are Finally Uniting, Anioma May Be The Next Igbo State. / Traditional Weddings In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.