Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,960 members, 7,876,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:16 PM

Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? (1327 Views)

Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war / Hugo Chavez Of Venezuela Offers Nigerian Students Scholarship / Hugo Chavez: Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by panafrican(m): 2:09am On Jan 09, 2007
People who are frequently defying  the US do not really take in to account  the ability  of this country  to overcome adversities. Chavez is about to nationalize US companies. I hope  him  and his people  understand clearly that no one can intimidate the united states.
Nationalizing foreign companies can lead to a very destructive war. We still  remember France ,UK and Isreal  planned to  attack Nasser  who nationalized the canal of Suez.The  plan collapsed when the soviet Union backed Egypt.

You don't  take action just because you are mad at somebody.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/01/08/chavez.media.ap/index.html
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by Afam(m): 11:39am On Jan 09, 2007
panafrican:

People who are frequently defying the US do not really take in to account the ability of this country to overcome adversities. Chavez is about to nationalize US companies. I hope him and his people understand clearly that no one can intimidate the united states.

It is a shame that you are seeing this the way you are seeing it. The natural resources belong to the people of Venezuela and if any foreign company does not like the terms and conditions for doing business there, they should leave the country.

Here we have a president who is willing to protect his people, the natural resources and you are talking about defying the US.

I hope every leader will learn to do what's best for the people and not taking care of the interests of foreigners.

panafrican:

Nationalizing foreign companies can lead to a very destructive war. We still remember France ,UK and Isreal planned to attack Nasser who nationalized the canal of Suez.The plan collapsed when the soviet Union backed Egypt.

Russia has been doing it of late and no one is attacking it, why? The idea of foreigners taking the centre stage in developing economies even when the natural resources being exploited belongs to the developing nations is bad and leaders that are bold enough to fight for the people should be encouraged.

panafrican:

You don't take action just because you are mad at somebody.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/01/08/chavez.media.ap/index.html

Yes, taking actions that protect the interest of your people is the best because when you protect the people as against foreigners you have a base to fall back on and should the foreigners choose to wage war they will realise that you can never defeat the Peoples' Army.
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by Easyy(m): 12:54pm On Jan 09, 2007
panafrican,

I know you believe that the US will strike Venezuela for nationalising companies operating within Venezuela. It's a great shame that we have come to see the US as a Nation that fights wars whenever it wants to further it's economic interests. However, I dont think the US will be dumb enough to wage a war on the strength of a country nationalising companies. It may look for other sinister motives with which to attack Venezuela.

America is a country of immense ability but I think every nation should be allowed to decide how it wants to progress. America is at liberty to withdraw it's companies and co-operation from Venezuela as it usually does to African and Middle East countries whenever they come out with policies that it finds unfavourable.
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by Sijien(m): 1:18pm On Jan 09, 2007
afam d question is will venezuala be able 2 survive?
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by panafrican(m): 2:01pm On Jan 09, 2007
Afam let's put it like this : I want to go to war,but I want to make sure I can win.  grin

Some  leaders have lost because of their own extremism.  Instead of  nationalizing US companies why not  ask  how does the US manage  to have foreign companies from China, UK, France, canada ,the netherland ect on its soil and make profit  without taking them over?   .
If Venezueal had a strong military that can thwart any invasion ,many would cheer ,but right now the move looks like a deliberate suicide.
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by Afam(m): 2:15pm On Jan 09, 2007
@Panafrican,

It seems you are ok with the erronous belief that might is right, I do not believe so.

My dear, the countries you mentioned will certainly have agreements that favour them and that is what you cannot find in agreements reached between these mulitnationals and developing nations.

I worked in the oil and gas in the past so I can tell you categorically that Nigeria is losing massively based on the current agreements between the FG and the mulitnationals.

There are no cash flow into Nigeria as regards the venture itself, everything is run from proceeds from oil sold, you see them on paper, these companies are just operators of the joint ventures and they use the oil servicing firms like Schlumberger or Harliburton to milk the venture dry as the sharing formula does not apply when oil servicing firms quote for jobs, that is why you will never have indegenious oil servicing firms doing any serious work in the oil sector.

Let the US attempt using the military and watch Venezuela turn off the tap and see the US experience problems in no time.

Countries like Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Venezuela are important to the US, it is just that Nigeria is not using its position to get a better deal for Nigerians and Nigeria in the scheme of things.

I support Chavez full time, afterall the oil in question belongs to Venezuela.
Re: Nationalization Of Us Companies : Is Venezuela's Chavez Ready For War ? by panafrican(m): 3:55pm On Jan 09, 2007
well , in case of an all out war with the US, who will help Chavez ?
Ortega ?  Castro ?  Brasil ?   Guatemala ?   Here we 're  throwing  a dice.
But you can bet Uk, France, Australia, Belgium , Germany  ,Japan  ,south corea  will provide the US  with manpower and technology.  If some countries can have  foreign companies on their soil and make good profit out the deals ,why can't  Nigeria  and Venezuela ?

(1) (Reply)

Join An Online Fans Of Nigerian Vice President,atiku Abubakar / Yahoo Boys Rule Unilag / New Ministers To Be Sworn-in Next Week The List:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.