Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,375 members, 7,940,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 05:33 AM

Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? (9634 Views)

5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by skedman(m): 7:12am On Dec 08, 2016
Ajaniopo:
I've been doing this 50k job since january.. At first after my Nysc I told my self I wasn't going to work for nobody..

So I started Catfish farming in a small way...

But along the line I got a contact job 2 months after I completed my Nysc.. The company is talking of making me a permanent staff by january 2017 but I am not loving the job.. All I want to do is go back to Catfish farming because That's where my heart and Love is.

Another mind Is giving me serious caution.. "If you quit, you aint coming back you know?

So the Big question pops up. Can you quit your job, to start your own Business?

I need Honest Views please...
my candid advice for you is not to leave your present employment for catfish business,although it is lucrative but that was then .I was into the business I had to stop it because it was no longer profitable . The market women are the problem, they determine the market price themselves and at the end of the day if care is not taken you won't make your capital. Also you have to watchout for the weight . I invested 100,000 to my fish pond business hoping to see more than that because my fish were big but had no weight I fed them with coppens and later local feed when those market women came in group to buy however,I only saw 19,000 ,out of this I have to pay the guy working for me .if it was you will you continue ? Nevermind you can use my weakness to develop yours

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by buchilino(m): 7:12am On Dec 08, 2016
GO N DO D FISH FARMING. JUST HAVE IT AT D BACK OF UR MIND DAT IT WOULDN'T BE EASY, COS NIGERIANS DOESN'T ENCOURAGE OR REWARDS HARD WORK. BUT UR DETERMINATION WILL C U THROUGH.

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Firstinline(m): 7:14am On Dec 08, 2016
I'll advice that you don't quit your day job. At least not yet.

Find a way to be doing your catfish business by the side while you work to enable you grow and stabilize it.

When you are comfortable with the range of income you get monthly from your catfish biz, then you can quit your "8 - 5".

2 Likes

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by seedorfg(m): 7:16am On Dec 08, 2016
though am still schooling, but am looking forward to generate an income and start my own business without depending on anyone after my ND result ... well i can quit my paid job if i have the capital within to start a biz

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by onwardsoldier(m): 7:26am On Dec 08, 2016
skedman:
my candid advice for you is not to leave your present employment for catfish business,although it is lucrative but that was then .I was into the business I had to stop it because it was no longer profitable . The market women are the problem, they determine the market price themselves and at the end of the day if care is not taken you won't make your capital. Also you have to watchout for the weight . I invested 100,000 to my fish pond business hoping to see more than that because my fish were big but
had no weight I fed them with coppens and later local feed when those market women came in group to buy however,I only saw 19,000 ,out of this I have to pay the guy working for me .if it was you will you continue ? Nevermind you can use my weakness to develop yours
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 08, 2016
no bro don't quit u can combine the two,u know business don't strive always so u can have something to fall back to

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by thecrush: 8:13am On Dec 08, 2016
QUit a job to start a business?

I am about quitting a job that pays about 300k for a business abeg!
I really need my time for my thing

2 Likes

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by michodemic(m): 8:16am On Dec 08, 2016
I will do just that this December despite even having a family to cater for. I know it wouldn't be easy but it is the best decision to make now. I am not saying quit or don't quit. But you must know that “a man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore”.

To your success............

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by babajero(m): 8:20am On Dec 08, 2016
Yes, I did that early this year, I worked but now, am into direct Honder spare parts and tokunbo car sale.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by gametalk: 8:27am On Dec 08, 2016
I have questions for you and you need to answer them from the bottom of your heart.
1. Consider the location of your fish pond to your house and place work. If its not too far or within the region.
You are too good to run fish farming and job together.

2. If you quit your current job, where will you get money to run your fish farming. Only if friends and families are there or you have spare money.
Think about that.....

3. what about basic amenities for your fish farming, borehole (regular water), pond, security, spare cash etc are they all available. Do you have zeal, passion, focus and determination.

4. Have you ever thought of managing both fish farming and job together and decide to quit your job maybe after 6 months.

5. Have you talked to people in fish farming business, ask them questions, let them guide you. I mean successful one and learn from the failed one.

Finally, pray to Baba God to more directions.
All the best. See you at the top.
Kay

You can also check my signature to learn more about online business. grin grin grin
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by afanide: 8:36am On Dec 08, 2016
Why not if the business is thriving?

You want to start EXPORTATION BUSINESS (Bitterkola, Ginger, Cocoa)? Get the Materials and start straight ahead.
EVERY GOOD THING HAS A PRICE. 98% OF THINGS WITHOUT PRICES ARE USELESS.
Check my signature below for my contact......
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 08, 2016
Rainmaker69:
Most Nigerians will probably advice you to keep your day job while you moonlight on your passion after hours. That advice sounds reasonable but it comes from a place of desperation and greed- it won't work. You can't serve 2 masters and love them equally, you will be found wanting somewhere. Thats how someone would spend 15 years in a banking sector job and expect to "hit the ground running" as a music artiste or as a producer. That's just funny. If you're really passionate about fish farming, you need to give it your all- start learning on the job right away. You will have to focus on your passion and turn it into a business.
Consult professionals widely- seek counsel from friends and family who are lawyers, accountants, business development and marketing consultants on how to grow your business. If you must quit, then be ready to give it your all, otherwise, don't even bother unless you wish to leave it the level of a hobby.
I made this decision about 9 years ago and haven't looked back since. Your greatest asset is your time and as an entrepreneur, you have the prerogative to determine how you invest it.
I wish you all the best.
Couldn't have been put any better
Life is a risk don't try and play over safe
Now think about it like this ....this fish business is a competition and they are people who are into it 100% now you who wnts to do it on the side can Neva compete with pple giving it their all and all
Bottom line is You only Live once.. follow ur guts man
Bruce Lee once said:::Independent enquiry is needed in ones search for truth not dependence on anyone's views or a mere book....peace....#datgoaldigger

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by ForValour: 8:47am On Dec 08, 2016
Ajaniopo:
I've been doing this 50k job since january.. At first after my Nysc I told my self I wasn't going to work for nobody..

But along the line I got a contact job 2 months after I completed my Nysc.. The company is talking of making me a permanent staff by january 2017 but I am not loving the job.. All I want to do is go back to Catfish farming because That's where my heart and Love is.

Another mind Is giving me serious caution.. "If you quit, you aint coming back you know?

Run both at first, then quit and acqualise your dream. Success
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 08, 2016
You have to quit at some point, the question is the timing, are you ready now? If not keep the job for the meantime, save more, but don't get comfortable. Keep saving planning and mobilizing, start constructing ponds with your savings so that you know where you're headed, if you're ready now, financially and otherwise, move on. No one ever got rich working for someone else.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by adekalumichael: 8:52am On Dec 08, 2016
From my little stable of experience, getting a job is good and running your own business is pretty nice too. When it comes to dumping one for the other there arises alot of things to consider. Idea as I do reframe it means I dare. One is battled with the enemy of success which is FEAR(false expression appearing real). Since you are yet to get a a paid job, just continue your business and don't worry about getting a white collar job anymore. I was employed and well paid yet I also run a flexible business along side. Until what I earn from my passive income is sufficent to run my bills as a family man then I can bade it goodbye to my 8am-5pm job.
It could be frustrating if what you projected to earn from starting the business is not forth coming and you begin to ask if you really planned well.
In all have a good plan for your business this should be in addition to what people have shared here with you and also be ready to face the challenges when they come in the business line and don't forget GOD in your doing.
I wish you ll the best as you consider this lifetime ticket offered to you.
#RiskIsBusiness #BusinessIsARisk

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by LaconicINC: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2016
Before the op opened this thread, he has already made up his mind on what he wants, I am quitting my job and going into pig farming, I am not looking back! Mind you I also trade forex profitable, job means just over broke! It enslaves you to doing another man's business all the days of your life.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by NOBLE179(m): 9:21am On Dec 08, 2016
keep ur job but mind ur biz. ur job is ur boss biz but ur fish farm is ur biz. run d two for 3 to 5yrs, monitor d progress then u can quit ur job if u wish.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by LaconicINC: 9:25am On Dec 08, 2016
thecrush:

I really need my time for my thing
nice one! People have worked 20 years without having some thing tangible to account for, if I spend ten years farming and all I do is cash crops, I will be a millionaire!
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by joinnow: 9:52am On Dec 08, 2016
I know of someone in Kenyan who work as account clerk and receive 60k monthly and he run a poultry farm 5000 capacity.At work(office) he has boss.
At home (poultry) he is the boss cos 5 people work for him.
He make x2 of his salary from the side passion poultry biz.

Why not keep your job.invest over time in your fishery biz.when it's has grown to the point that it can pay you x 3 of your salary you can then quit your Just Over Broke
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by saydfact(m): 9:59am On Dec 08, 2016
Ajaniopo:

Give the cat fish business a go, its easier now than later - i suppose you're not married yet and has less responsibilities - so why not.

don't trap yourself in the paid job we all in.....

goodluck
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by spiralwedge(m): 10:21am On Dec 08, 2016
Please combine the 2 and give yourself a timeframe. You may want to work there for 2 years while you do the farming on a small scale and save a lot having at the back of your mind when you are leaving. When you leave you can now expand.
You need to stay put for the ff reasons:
1. It gives you guarantee. Both can't crash at once.
2. It gives your farming business the financial back up and room to expand.
3. It gives you some basic skills and experience you may never learn if you work for yourself from onset such as inter-relations skill, resilience, teamwork, etc.
4. You may need people such as your bosses in the future to do some references for you. If you stay only a few months with them, they would be reluctant then.
5. It can also provide customer base for you. Your colleagues and your company's clients can be your fish farm's customers.
6. You may never really get a level-playing relationship when you are the boss. Most of your relationships would be boss-staff relationships and money-related relationships with customers.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by thecrush: 10:23am On Dec 08, 2016
LaconicINC:
nice one! People have worked 20 years without having some thing tangible to account for, if I spend ten years farming and all I do is cash crops, I will be a millionaire!

Them dey try....I have just worked for about two years....i am quitting soon for my private business. God help me.
I envy company CEOs and the way some white guys treat us, i want to start employing them

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Chikobi: 10:42am On Dec 08, 2016
Ponder on these pertinent questions before making a final decision:

1. Is the job description somehow related to what you do in your private business?
If yes, keep the job for a while & learn the ropes.

2. How much do you make monthly from your private business in comparison to your day job?
If you earn more from your day job, then keep your day job & at your convenience, come up with a carefully thought out plan on how to grow your private business, perhaps you'll discover you also need to raise more capital to grow your business & your current job will help in that regard.

However, if you earn more from your private business, then the next question is:

2. If you accept the full time job, do you foresee a hindrance to the profitability of your private business?
If you can figure out a way to maintain quality, improve productivity & meet the demands of your clients while maintaining your day job, please keep your day job until you feel it's impossible to manage both. At which point you should have raised a reasonably sized capital to pursue your passion exclusively.

In summary, multiple channels of income provides better financial security for those who can handle it but ultimately the goal is to follow your passion because passion drives knowledge & knowledge will give you the competitive edge needed for sustainable success.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by LaconicINC: 11:04am On Dec 08, 2016
thecrush:

Them dey try....I have just worked for a year....i am quitting soon for my private business. God help me.
I envy company CEOs and the way some white guys treat us especially indians, i want to start employing them
I have worked three years and I am quitting as this year ends, lemme go and face my passion and that is business, I know there will be challenges but I will overcome!

1 Like

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Nja4Life: 11:37am On Dec 08, 2016
Looking for Job or Help someone to get a Job

Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by danthamccoy(m): 2:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by danthamccoy(m): 2:42pm On Dec 08, 2016
leksmedia:
Yes I once did now www.leksmediaconcept.com is now a global brand .

Contact us for your web design ,online branding and social media management
Dude your website still needs work. You've got to get somebody to proof-read the English up there. It's not nice at all. Punctuations all wrong along with spelling and grammatical errors. The design is nice though.
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Ajaniopo: 1:53am On Dec 09, 2016
gametalk:
I have questions for you and you need to answer them from the bottom of your heart.
1. Consider the location of your fish pond to your house and place work. If its not too far or within the region.
You are too good to run fish farming and job together.

2. If you quit your current job, where will you get money to run your fish farming. Only if friends and families are there or you have spare money.
Think about that.....

3. what about basic amenities for your fish farming, borehole (regular water), pond, security, spare cash etc are they all available. Do you have zeal, passion, focus and determination.

4. Have you ever thought of managing both fish farming and job together and decide to quit your job maybe after 6 months.

5. Have you talked to people in fish farming business, ask them questions, let them guide you. I mean successful one and learn from the failed one.

Finally, pray to Baba God to more directions.
All the best. See you at the top.
Kay

You can also check my signature to learn more about online businessr. grin grin grin

I actually learnt fish farming while I was still schooling and I practised after my Nysc.. Infact my ponds are still Infact just at my back yard.. I had to quit cos I couldn't cope.. When you av to wake up 4am to go to work then get back home around 10pm 11pm
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Ajaniopo: 2:05am On Dec 09, 2016
Rainmaker69:
Most Nigerians will probably advice you to keep your day job while you moonlight on your passion after hours. That advice sounds reasonable but it comes from a place of desperation and greed- it won't work. You can't serve 2 masters and love them equally, you will be found wanting somewhere. Thats how someone would spend 15 years in a banking sector job and expect to "hit the ground running" as a music artiste or as a producer. That's just funny. If you're really passionate about fish farming, you need to give it your all- start learning on the job right away. You will have to focus on your passion and turn it into a business.
Consult professionals widely- seek counsel from friends and family who are lawyers, accountants, business development and marketing consultants on how to grow your business. If you must quit, then be ready to give it your all, otherwise, don't even bother unless you wish to leave it the level of a hobby.
I made this decision about 9 years ago and haven't looked back since. Your greatest asset is your time and as an entrepreneur, you have the prerogative to determine how you invest it.
I wish you all the best.

It must have been a tough decision for you...
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Ajaniopo: 2:06am On Dec 09, 2016
thecrush:

I really need my. time for my thing

Wow... 300k?
Re: Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? by Rainmaker69(m): 8:10am On Dec 09, 2016
Ajaniopo:

It must have been a tough decision for you...

That's a complex statement.
Making the decision is the easy part, my brother. The tough part is maintaining the discipline to manage and maximize your time and money. If you can master these two resources, your results will astonish you. Initially, it seemed like my friends in paid employment were better off because the salary was sure at the end of the month, but I had some savings to fall back on. But 3 months after I set out on my own, I was earning 3-4 times my monthly salary. The sweetest part was that I operated from home to minimize overhead cost. One year later, i rented a small office space and hired my first staff.

Staying on course can be tough especially when juicy employment offers come your way, at the end of the day, its often a question of choosing between short-term gain or long-term gain. Today, I have a personal relationship with my friends' bosses. Sometimes they invite me to partner on projects on an equity participation basis. Most employees will never get there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering / Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? / Electrical Control Panel Design, Installation And Maintenance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.