Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,870 members, 7,945,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 06:15 AM

Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates (569 Views)

Mobile Blogger App Update / What Could Be The Cause When Phone Don't Charge Beyond 65% ? / How To Stop Automatic Updates On Android Tablets Or Phones And Save Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by giftedben: 4:14am On Dec 07, 2016
Google has announced a new method of updating your apps on the Play Store. A previous change had reduced the size of updates by 47% on average, but this new one can reduce the size by a further 65%.

The new method is called File-by-File patching. Since APKs are zipped up and compressed, one can’t just replace a single file without changing the entire file’s compressed output. Therefore this new method will decompress both the old and the new APK, apply the patch from the new APK, and compress the APK on your device. While this takes less data, it takes more time and processing power.

Because of these drawbacks, Google is limiting this new update method to automatic updates that it can do in the background. Manually updating apps won’t utilize this new technique in saving data.

Thankfully, developers won’t have to change anything to utilize this new update system. It’s all on Google’s end. If you want to learn more about File-by-File patching, hit the source link!

Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by Lordaweezy: 4:56am On Dec 07, 2016
Nice development.
Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by dominique(f): 5:20am On Dec 07, 2016
I noticed this on Saturday that some of my apps automatically updated, I had to check my play store settings to be sure that I did not put on the auto-update feature. I'm not so keen on this new development, they shouldn't force us to update apps when we're not ready to

1 Like

Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by Beesluv: 5:25am On Dec 07, 2016
I dont even understand this 45%, 60% as long as my phone works well. Na dem sabi
Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by Dam5reey(m): 6:01am On Dec 07, 2016
This is no news na
It's been like this for a while now...
Whenever I'm updating, My app only download to about 45% then it install...
Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by AnodaIT(m): 9:32am On Dec 07, 2016
Dam5reey:
This is no news na
It's been like this for a while now...
Whenever I'm updating, My app only download to about 45% then it install...
That's not what it means sir.
We are talking about file size not download/updating time
Re: Google Reducing App Update Size By 65%, But Only With Automatic Updates by Dam5reey(m): 9:41am On Dec 07, 2016
AnodaIT:

That's not what it means sir.
We are talking about file size not download/updating time

Thats what am saying.. My update does not download all the file again it only download part, then update..

Or you are telling you wont download anything and your App will update ?? shocked

(1) (Reply)

Facebook App For Android Now Lets You Download Videos / Please I Need Help on How to Unbrick my Gionee P5w / My Glo Sub Works Only On Few Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.