Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,859 members, 7,872,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:33 AM

Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert (19981 Views)

Bishop, Minister Fight Over Ekwueme’s Missing £200,000 Medical Bill Refund / Ebenator Erosion Gully In Anambra Now A Death Trap / New Locations Saved From Erosion In Anambra (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by HungerBAD: 4:43am On Dec 19, 2016
Geoffrey Anyanwu, Awka

Former vice president, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, may soon become homeless as his family house in Oko, Orumba North Local Government of Anambra State may soon be washed away by erosion.

Already, a United Kingdom erosion expert, Trevor Jewitt, has predicted that Ekwueme’s edifice could be swept away by erosion next rainy season if proactive measures were not taken, and immediately, too.

Jewitt disclosed this when a delegation of the House of Representatives Committee on Ecological Matters, led by Obinna Chidoka, visited erosion sites in the area.

He also warned that the situation in Ekwueme’s home was a disaster waiting to happen.

The erosion expert, who is a representative of Rhino Construction Nigeria Limited, who has studied erosion trend in Nanka and Oko erosion sites for six years said: “I must impress that, if this work is not started quickly, then, we have a big problem here.

“All the work we have already done would be wasted. It is not whether it will happen; it is certain, it will happen. We know what to do to stop the gully from advancing further into Oko community. It is a matter of funding.”

Already, some houses in the area, including that of Dr. Ekwueme’s grandfather have been swallowed.

Speaking at the erosion site, Chidoka described the situation as a calamity and assured that he would take the matter up with the Secretary to Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, for urgent intervention.

“This visit will not end up as another sight-seeing visit, as in the past.”

Addressing the lawmakers, earlier, a leader of the community, Mr. Handel Okoli said the enormity of the erosion in the area was not known to government, adding that many have been displaced in the area.

“We are convinced that until the approving authority for the disbursement of the Ecological Fund visits this site, the enormity of the situation will never be appreciated. Oko and Nanka people have seen their farm lands and entire communities washed away, every rainy season. The tragedy of the situation is that the Federal Government is yet to take the matter as seriously as it deserves. The problem we have now is how to get government to award the contract for the second phase of the erosion remedial work.

just to make sure that the palliative work done by the present contractor on the Nanka side is not washed away in the next rainy season.
“The present contractors have completed their works at Nanka and once they leave the site, the entire work will collapse since financial provision has not been made to check the Oko end of the site. So we are in a dire situation and already the number of internally displaced persons is increasing in leaps and bounds.

Oko and Nanka people have seen their farm lands and entire communities washed away every rainy season. The tragedy of the situation is that the Federal Government is yet to take the matter as seriously as it deserves.

http://sunnewsonline.com/ekwueme-may-be-homeless-next-rainy-season-uk-erosion-expert/

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by ThinkSmarter: 4:57am On Dec 19, 2016
To be frank, that erosion site at Oko/Nanka z beyond erosion, the soil structure z too Sandy and weak, with no bonding force, it z seriously posing a big threat to residents and something need to be done urgently to curtail any ugly menace in the nearest future , it z beyond Anambra govt, I can still recall when Yar'adua deployed Julius Berger to the site the 1st time it caused very serious damage, I couldn't withstand looking at the site even after the rehabilitation when I was looking at it from a vehicle , it was damn frightening .

8 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Mologi(m): 5:33am On Dec 19, 2016
And u think say na only one house he get.....

if erosion destroy his house....then he should go and rent face me i slap....

10 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by sarrki(m): 5:40am On Dec 19, 2016
I feel sorry for my country
This are leaders that serves this country well.

Having said that, this is what the online E rats should bE

Clamoring for .

Now they want My president to tackle the menace

Where is their hero? The road to otueke Gej can't fix it!!!!!

It's high time Wailers sit down and have a rethink.

New year new resolution

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 5:41am On Dec 19, 2016
Is he not an elite? Let him be homeless nah!! Mtcheewww!!! Does an average Nigerian they ruled have a house they can call their own in the first place? No!

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by sarrki(m): 5:43am On Dec 19, 2016
Mologi:
And u think say na only one house he get.....

if erosion destroy his house....then he should go and rent face me i slap....

There is this parable that what a man see lying down
If a child climbs an iroko tree he won't see it.

If an elder statesman house is involved what is the hope for a common man.

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Mologi(m): 5:48am On Dec 19, 2016
sarrki:

unless the iroko tree is not big and fat.....

boss...that was just my opinion and humourous one for that matter...
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by greatgod2012(f): 5:54am On Dec 19, 2016
Nothing special! He'll just loose one of his houses. They too need to taste what the common man is facing in this country.

No pity for any politician. They're all the same. They're all common man's enemies.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by sarrki(m): 5:58am On Dec 19, 2016
Mologi:

unless the iroko tree is not big and fat.....

boss...that was just my opinion and humourous one for that matter...

wink
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Atiku2019: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2016
cry cry cry cry
cc Presidency
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by morbeta(m): 6:15am On Dec 19, 2016
The news is coming out now cos Ekwueme is about to be affected, this is the kind of country we are living in. For many years the same erosion has destroyed and rendered a lot of people homeless. So if. EKWUEME'S will bring succour to the area so be it.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 6:15am On Dec 19, 2016
Already, a United Kingdom erosion expert, Trevor Jewitt, has predicted that Ekwueme’s edifice could be swept away by erosion next rainy season if proactive measures were not taken, and immediately, too.

Mr Jewitt should tell us how the UK Government would handle tha matter if a private citizen like Margaret Thatcher's personal home was built in a flood plains and is now threatened by rising waters?

a. Didnt Margaret conduct survey prior and knew she was building in a flood prone area?

b. Does Margaret have flood insurance?

c. Should the UK government go and build a retainer wall to save Margarett's house?

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 19, 2016
He can move up North, we have plenty empty lands.

11 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by HungerBAD: 6:37am On Dec 19, 2016
abuayman:

lol

2 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 6:40am On Dec 19, 2016
abuayman:

Can you guarantee you all wont behead him?

9 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Corrinthians(m): 6:43am On Dec 19, 2016
Ekwueme is a well respected nigerian who has paid his dues. I hope the state or FG step in soon enough to forestall this.

Gid bless Nigeria.
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Corrinthians(m): 6:45am On Dec 19, 2016
ugolance:
Is he not an elite? Let him be homeless nah!! Mtcheewww!!! Does an average Nigerian they ruled have a house they can call their own in the first place? No!
This is a very insensitive comment.

2 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 6:47am On Dec 19, 2016
Corrinthians:
Ekwueme is a well respected nigerian who has paid his dues. I hope the state or FG step in soon enough to forestall this.

Gid bless Nigeria.

How did Ekwueme pay his dues?
Have you not paid your dues to the country?

13 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by sarrki(m): 6:55am On Dec 19, 2016
ugolance:

Atimes it's not a bad Idea to show people around you

What you want to type be you do

My own take though
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:56am On Dec 19, 2016
l
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 7:07am On Dec 19, 2016
post=52057544:
l

Let me hear some negative comments from ya mouth this morning. angry

You go join dilector soak the garri wey dem go serve am for breakfast. grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 19, 2016
MayorofLagos:

Can you guarantee you all wont behead him?

Haba, maka why?

He can choose from Kogi, Kwara, Abuja, and Niger

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Atiku2019: 7:12am On Dec 19, 2016
sarrki:

Exactly smiley

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 7:15am On Dec 19, 2016
abuayman:

Haba, maka why?

He can choose from Kogi, Kwara, Abuja, and Niger

I thought you said North? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by ElsonMorali: 7:19am On Dec 19, 2016
I'll bet he doesn't have only one house. After all he's also part of the elite ruling class in Nigeria.

Very soon the entire eastern part of this country will be degraded by gully erosion. And people will be forced to live in ditches formed by Mr. Gully.

You won't see them shouting for government to do something, instead they'll be carrying placards up and down screaming "leave our daughter/son alone" "stop witch hunting them".

The same sons and daughters who have refused to put heads together to find a lasting solution to the menace plaguing that area, and yet they've been part of government from the get go.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Amoto94(m): 7:19am On Dec 19, 2016
State government should do something about it ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 19, 2016
MayorofLagos:

I thought you said North? grin

Yes, and the aforementioned States are all in the North.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by MayorofLagos(m): 7:23am On Dec 19, 2016
abuayman:

Yes, and the aforementioned States are all in the North.

Where have you been? Lol...let me leave this matter alone, right now! Sorry. cool
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 7:25am On Dec 19, 2016
MayorofLagos:

Where have you been? Lol...let me leave this matter alone, right now! Sorry. cool

No Wahala. But try check map of Naija for some info cheesy tongue
Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 19, 2016
Can you imagine? Their hero will b homeless very soon, but th good news is that their slave masters from Adamawa state will be coming to bail him out after he has sold his people for the election

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme May Be Homeless Next Rainy Season –UK Erosion Expert by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 19, 2016
sarrki:

Atimes it's not a bad Idea to show people around you

What you want to type be you do

My own take though
I can't read ur English bro wat ya trying to say?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari To Hold Prayer For Nigeria In Mecca - Presidency / Rivers On Knife’s Edge As INEC Resumes Collation Of Guber Poll Results / #UKElection2015: Jonathan Congratulates David Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.