Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,907 members, 7,883,158 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 03:32 AM

What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? (1816 Views)

Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer / Hire Qualified Devs And Get A Job As A Developer Here!!!!!! / 30 Things You Should Not Say To A Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Nobody: 5:00am On Dec 19, 2016
I used to think it was my 500gb hard drive filled with programming videos, books, softwares, test apps, SSH keys and other stuff until it was stolen few days back and I realised I was still alive....i would have preferred negotiating with the thief to allow me backup the data to my laptop first. Maybe when I get my 1TB HDD full but for now I guess my laptop is my MVA (Most Valuable Asset), what's yours?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Codenister: 7:59am On Dec 19, 2016
For me, it's my laptop

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by FincoApps(m): 9:31am On Dec 19, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
I used to think it was my 500gb hard drive filled with programming videos, books, softwares, test apps, SSH keys and other stuff until it was stolen few days back and I realised I was still alive....i would have preferred negotiating with the thief to allow me backup the data to my laptop first. Maybe when I get my 1TB HDD full but for now I guess my laptop is my MVA (Most Valuable Asset), what's yours?

That would be my laptop o

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by ibawon(m): 11:02am On Dec 19, 2016
My Damn Hard disk

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by jboy01(m): 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2016
my laptop
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Craigston: 5:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
It's my laptop first. I really hope nothing happens to it. I felt really bad when my 500GB hard drive crashed.
I backup redundantly whenever I can. I got 4GB DVD discs (I'll still get more) and I backup materials that will be relevant for a long time to them. My flash drive has a backup of all my documents. My phone and my SD card have some. My hard disk has another set too.
I'm thinking of encrypting every drive I can so its content remain useless to whoever steals it. And I'm about redoing the backup process on every drive I carry about by first encrypting the compressed image of the files before putting them on encrypted drives.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by FincoApps(m): 6:41am On Dec 20, 2016
Craigston:
It's my laptop first. I really hope nothing happens to it. I felt really bad when my 500GB hard drive crashed.
I backup redundantly whenever I can. I got 4GB DVD discs (I'll still get more) and I backup materials that will be relevant for a long time to them. My flash drive has a backup of all my documents. My phone and my SD card have some. My hard disk has another set too.
I'm thinking of encrypting every drive I can so its content remain useless to whoever steals it. And I'm about redoing the backup process on every drive I carry about by first encrypting the compressed image of the files before putting them on encrypted drives.

smh, what's the use of encrypting it ? The content won't be needed by the thief.... they'll probably format the drive before they even realize it's encrypted....

Was thinking someone would say they wanna start using a cloud service as Backup 2

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by danidee10(m): 7:10am On Dec 20, 2016
My OS and its customization

All my important stuff....ssh keys and documents are already backed up online
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Craigston: 11:22am On Dec 20, 2016
FincoApps:

smh, what's the use of encrypting it ? The content won't be needed by the thief.... they'll probably format the drive before they even realize it's encrypted....

Was thinking someone would say they wanna start using a cloud service as Backup 2

It depends on who steals it. If it's someone with malicious intentions, encrypting it makes sense. You also don't want photos of friends and family in the hands of unknown persons. And if your browsers automatically store your passwords, it could be a nasty experience in the hands of a thief.

Cloud backup services are expensive wrt data bundles. I backup only important documents to cloud services. Some on Dropbox, some with my email providers, some on Google drive and others.
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by larisoft: 11:30am On Dec 20, 2016
I backup stuff on google drive and bitbucket a lot so my most important assets are
1. My eyes : if anything happens to them, game over.
2. My fingers : I touch-type, so if any of my fingers are hurt...well productivity will be greatly affectd
3. My laptop: every important thing am working is backed up online shaa thanks to github and co, but I have sentiments about a friend that has served me so faithfully for 2 years now.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by guente02(m): 11:30am On Dec 20, 2016
Got to be my laptop.
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by FincoApps(m): 4:13pm On Dec 20, 2016
Haaa seriously I don't care if my pictures go to the world. Also as long as you don't use these backups as your default HDD, no browser passwords would be stored there.... besides a really determined hacker would decrypt it and I don't think such hackers would be stealing drives.

My point is, don't waste time encrypting things except of course you've got secrets
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Sibrah: 8:57pm On Dec 20, 2016
My laptop I guess. It is my all-in-one pack. It is the workshop, store house(codes), school/classroom(videos) and distraction(films for quick relaxation). Next is my phone.
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Craigston: 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
FincoApps:
Haaa seriously I don't care if my pictures go to the world. Also as long as you don't use these backups as your default HDD, no browser passwords would be stored there.... besides a really determined hacker would decrypt it and I don't think such hackers would be stealing drives.

My point is, don't waste time encrypting things except of course you've got secrets
I get your point, and I think it makes sense for everyday experiences.
Of course not everyone needs it, but I just do it. I find it advantageous in some situations.
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by danvery2k6(m): 5:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
My mind and my fingers

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by Haykinz18: 6:09pm On Dec 21, 2016
My Most valuable assest as a developer is my GitHub account, all my codes are hosted their and it's linked to all my accounts that GitHub can be linked with.

No hassles if you steal my laptop cause i will get whatever i was working on back from my GitHub account.

My Prayer is that GitHub should not pack up anytime.

Edit: I don't think GitHub will ever pack up. So my advice to all developers and programmers is this:

1. Get a GitHub account,

2. Learn how to use git,

3. Tie in Github with all your accounts wherever possible

4. And keep committing code to your repositories.

To learn Git and GitHub in 15 minutes for free try this free tutorial

And if you want to go deep here are free resources for you

To new web developers here is a [url=academy.switbai.com/courses]course[/url] that will teach you everything from basics to advanced level.

Happy Coding wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by tr3y(m): 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Most valuable asset is my brain.
It stops and every other thing stops.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by ugwum007(m): 7:22pm On Dec 24, 2016
My Bae (laptop) especially the hdd and then my phone.
Recently, I gave a friend one of my external hdd for her project. After two days, I told her to return it. It felt like one of my arms was cut off.
Re: What Is Your Most Valuable Asset As A Developer? by stack1(m): 8:48pm On Dec 26, 2016
Your Brain.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Learning Python Kivy / Ccan I Learn Java In A Month? Somebody Answer Me ! / SQL Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.