Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,350 members, 7,884,775 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 03:29 PM

Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? (9984 Views)

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) / Original Autodesk software licenses for Architects,Engineer & Media experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raldsfield(m): 10:09pm On Dec 03, 2005
IS IT POSSIBLE TO BECOME CISCO NETPRO through online training

I am in the UK, just came in actually from Nigeria. I was looking for work through advert placements on the paper and came across this www.skills-train.co.uk.(check it out), I registered on-line on my interest and in a week I got a phone call and the next thing thisyoung chap, cool guy comes to my house, tell me about the options, he adviced that I go for the CISCONETPRO because I studied Mathematics.

To be honest the only thing I can do with my laptop is browse, type, draw a little basically not too much. The package looks good though, promises of getting me a job once I get certified.

The programme he mentioned, will start with a foundation in CompTIA N+ certification programme then CCNA, CCNP and all training is done on-line, one practical session every 2 months. I was informed I don't need to go for the practicals. Then I will be assigned to a Phone tutour.

My problem is I have never had on-line training before, and I don't know how I am going to cope with it. Then I have to sign a contract, this means no going back if I don't like what I get this will cost £70 each month for 34 months. I need some expert advice on this issue.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by Seun(m): 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2005
My advice is that you should visit the official Cisco NetPro Forum to ask this question since they have more experience with what works in the UK.

See also: Cisco Certification Advice, Materials - Nairaland
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by yangie: 8:16am On Dec 20, 2005
Neverr sign a contract. 34months is 3YEARS! Do the math, and the research of course
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by 1ofall(f): 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2005
Yangie is right...you should not have to sign a contract...certainly not one for 34months!
The very point of doing the course online(elearning) is to fit it around your schedule and do it at your own pace. I 've come across some lab simulations that are quite realistic so I suppose you might get away without doing real practicals. As for their promise of getting you a job...I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
What ever you decide....go one step at a time.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by slazzy(m): 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2006
Hello, i went through the same thing with skillstrain. as soon as you sign the contract there's no going back. They will say to you u've got 10 days or something to cancel the contract and at the end of the day they might deny it like they did to me but i insisted and persisted until it was cancelled but by then i had lost some money. The big question is this, "why is it easy to enrol but difficult to cancel?"My advice is that you go to a college where you will gain hands-on training. I doubt you succeeding in achieving those certifications with home/self study. Since you've not had any job experience in IT the best bet is to register in a college if u've got the money. Colleges like westminster computer college offer these courses. If you actually want to study on your own why not go to any pcworld store and buy the self-study kit for that particular certification exam. Its far cheaper for you because telephone tutoring will not work, believe you me. Cheers
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raz: 2:07am On Jun 25, 2006
slazzy i registered with skill train aswell, n tried ta cancel i sent them the letters needed but they told me that they neva got it in time, i was hoping you can tell me how you managed to get your contract cancelled, and how much money did you loose?
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raldsfield(m): 12:37pm On Jun 25, 2006
Raz,

why do you want to cancel the training, is it not what it promised to be. i have been considering registering since last year. I am still not sure. Are they not giving the support they promised. I wish you the best and if you want to pull out I hope you succeed fast before they milk you dry.

I think it is better going for a degree course, i have been thinking of that option.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raz: 4:56pm On Jun 25, 2006
they promise you things like a tutor that calls you to check up on you and after every 2 months you get to go on to a class for a practical, but the tutor never calls and wen i called him he told me that i dont need to go, i have bin looking at forums and other things on the net about skills train and have found out that there are alot of people hu are also not happy with the course, my advice to you is look for other alternatives DO NOT SIGN WITH SKILLS TRAIN

ps all those who want to cancel their contract with skills train i am trying to get in contact with watchdog but i need other people to support me so if you can get in contact with me that will be helpfull my email address is razarecta'msn.com
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by slazzy(m): 9:39pm On Jun 28, 2006
hi, i cancelled mine by insisting, i insisted dat i sent it on time and even put photocopies of all the letters i've been sending them. they kept insisting i didn't send it on time, they even sent a letter threatening court action, i even went as far as going to citizens advice bureau to seek advice but then d lady asked me to fone them up telling them i sent their training materials back on time. So, i got home dat day and foned them up and they said its been cancelled. I only lost one payment of £70. Dat was it, then they sent me a letter stating that the contract has been cancelled. Did u record their package? If u did send it via recorded delivery which i believe u did then dats enough evidence. Photocopy it as well and write them and above all fone them up. Was it a card purchase u did? if its not a card purchase then u could cancel it wiv ur bank but if its a card purchase then u can't cancel it without skillstrain's consent. They have to cancel it. Thats it for now. I wish u all the best. Dont hesitate to contact for further advice. cheers
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by unhappyman: 9:30am On Jul 15, 2006
[quote][/quote]
If I`ll not receive the canceling letter by them I `ll support you.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by slazzy(m): 11:04am On Jul 15, 2006
whats @ unhappyman talking about?
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by Hugh: 11:49am On Jul 30, 2006
Ref Skills Train. Seems there are a lot of negative thinking corespondents posting messages here! The point of enrolling with Skills Train is to use their system to improve ones circumstances. The same can be said of any further education, whether a University or college, or The Open University (which costs a considerable amount of money), but the point of undertaking any further education is ideally the same, and what's the point of launching into any such scheme if you have negative thoughts and doubts, which more often than not are due to your own lack of self confidence. I enrolled yesterday with Skills Train, and although they give a guarantee of employment after successful completion of the course I am not going to wait for them to hand me a job on a plate, I will be actively seeking employment with a recognised qualification in my hand. So, all you doubters, stop talking such negativity and either get on with Skills Train or whatever further training/education you intend to do, or stop moaning! grin
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raldsfield(m): 10:53pm On Jul 30, 2006
Good luck man, I love your faith.

Profess the word, am sure you will do well, You have got the attitude.

I didn't have the heart to do it over 8 months ago and I will probably never do it.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by coogan: 8:29pm On Aug 15, 2006
i signed up for a skills train course on the belief i could cancel at any time 'what rep told me'
have tried to cancel but cannot because i was too late citizens advice bureau working on it at the moment. i would appreciate any advice on how i can get to cancel. if anyone having same problems you can email me at john.coogan@blueyonder.co.uk
i believe i was not told the truth when their rep visited me and i think they should be reported to watchdog or rogue traders
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by lEkn(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2006
Hello,
i'm certified in A+,N+,CCSP,MCSE and CEH. I might not be as old or as wise as u are cos i'm 20yrs and still in LAG but i'm experined and i'm an instructor with a highly reputable IT traning institution in lagos. i'll advise u get d book's and read at home. u can get N+ books online and a cisco books form cisco press but i advice u get it from sybex. the practical aspect in ccna is just router and switch configuration that can b taken care of through a cisco simulator. for ur exams there are lot's of past questions call'd DUMBS or DUMPS online some free. U can get a lot of materials online. i'm a certified ethical hacker and i didn't go to india 4 training.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by Missyflea: 11:36pm On Sep 07, 2006
Skill train promise you a course for an upfront fee (enrollment fee) try to make you pratically beg for the course first. The rep then states that you make payments monthly for the course.

What you actually sign is a contract for a LOAN. Once you sign the contract for the loan you have commited to paying back this loan money regardless of the course. A flashy pack is put together, the information that you get through your course is not up-to-date, or acurate, and you wouldn't know any different (why would you take a course about something you've already learnt about?) but you are legally binded to pay money back for the loan(course) as this is a clause in the contract.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 09, 2006
---
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by raldsfield(m): 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2006
SCORPIAN5,

Reading your posting breaks my heart. I posted this topic last year. I couldn't make up my mind and everyday I wake up I ask myself should I have gone for this course, would I have been better off with myself a year after, who i have been an IT professional.

I did not enrol because I was wary of singing a contract, especially one that requires me being committed for 3 years.

I wish you the best of luck. Hope that you get the support you require. Don't give up.
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by pokwuk: 2:04am On Feb 19, 2007
Well i'm very happy to read this threat(And very unhappy too), First the guy come to my house at 3 days ago, i gave the 50 quied in cheque and i sign the enrolement, I've read alot of foruns of ppl complaininfg about it!!I'm not gonna wait until the material's come!Next monday gonna cancel the cheque and phone them and saying i dont want anything from them or saying i changed my mind!!Thank's too all, Hope i'll cancel it in time!!!
Re: Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? by Digiman(m): 11:10pm On Feb 27, 2007
It beaks my heart to see you guys being ripped off by these companies.

For anyone interested in CISCO certification I would recommend self study but you will have to be dedicated and disciplined.

Heres how to go about it get you study guides for this I would recommend the CCNA study guide published by Sybex http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitle/productCd-0782143911.html + any other CCNA study guide you can lay your hand on
You will also need to get your hands on some router simulator software - http://routersimulator.certexams.com/ (much cheaper than buying your own routers and switches)

Then finalyy for exam practice tests I would recommend using Transcender tests http://www.transcender.com/gen.aspx?pf=page&sn=TraTrackLPCCNA

I did my CCNA over 5 years ago without paying for any training courses, I simply bought books , two 2nd hand CISCO 2600 series routers and exam testing software and was able to ace the exam at my first sitting. wink

(1) (Reply)

The Nairalife Of A Student Doubling As A Software Engineer / Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) / The Myth Behind ICT Career Skills In Nigeria – Jethro Theo Paul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.