Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,042 members, 7,912,940 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 04:20 PM

Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo (1244 Views)

Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo / Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo / Elombah.com Says Soludo Implicated In Polymer Naira Notes Bribery Scandal! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by jona2: 3:40am On Nov 17, 2009
Insecurity has driven Anambra people away, [b]says Soludo
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in the 2010 polls in Anambra and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo said that the level of insecurity in the state was alarming. It has driven people to hold their traditional weddings in Abuja and Lagos, he says. He talked with CHUKS COLLINS in Awka. Excerpts.

HOW far have you gone with reconciling aggrieved members of your party the PDP in view of the tension your nomination raised?

It wonÕt be an exaggeration to say that Anambra is at least 80 per cent PDP. It is not the same with other parties. I put it at a conservative 80 per cent because every other party in the state is a breakaway faction of the PDP. And being a large family, you are bound to have people of different shades of views. Our first task actually is to strive to keep the house together, mobilise the house into the formidable party that it is. I think we have largely succeeded. [b]A large section of the party is intact and is getting ready to take back power in the state because what we have today is an aberration; a little bit of an accident, so to speak. The PDP members have resolved to take back power [/b in the state.

In what sense are you talking of aberration in the state?

There are two parties in power in the state today. The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) has the executive arm, while the PDP has 100 per cent of the legislative arm. It is such that even the single APGA member in the House of Assembly, out of 30, has decamped to the PDP that he says that what happened in 2003 was an accident. We also know from the results of that election that APGA did not have the spread. There was a kind of protest vote that year and people fragmented into so many parties. The APGA then had a simple majority but did not have the 50 per cent in two third of the council areas of the state. However, we know the crises that happened that time and how eventually the APGA candidate was declared the winner. But still the rank and file of Anambra, the vast majority of the people are still with PDP and in spite of these other fragments of political parties in the state, its still safe to say that at least 80 per cent are still PDP.

Many years after its creation, Anambra is behind her peers in terms if development. What do you think is the problem?

Well, that is precisely way I am running. I would not be running if the state were realising more than 10 per cent of its potentials. I would not be running if Anambra as richly endowed in human and material resources is actually standing up to be counted among the states of Nigeria. Anambra has become the butt of every joke. There is no physical war going on, but the people are moving out in droves as if a refuge, as it was out of the state. Joblessness is the second name, insecurity is the other and the state should actually be number one in terms of economic development; every indicator shows that.

Onitsha is not only decaying, it is dead. People are daily moving out to places like Asaba

There is no symptom or sign to show that the state is moving forward. If anything, every indicator shows that the state is in a reverse gear; moving backwards. And that is why some of us have volunteered in spite of grave personal inconvenience to say, Ôif not us, who; if not now, when?Õ I give credit to those who have been governors of the state, including the incumbent I can say that given their capacity and other issues, they have done a good job, especially where you have had a history of people getting 10 per cent, 15 per cent or 30 per cent. If you get a 40 per cent, it would be regarded as a good job. But for me, this election is about a 40 per cent to 50 per cent performance when someone has a capacity to deliver 99 per cent. Anambra is a first class state; it needs a first class material. It is not a third class state and that is why I am in the race. I believe that Anambra has got the men and women with first rate materials to lift the state to realise 99.9 per cent of its potentials instead of the 40 per cent that is beginning to look like a great achievement.

What would be the priorities?

The draft copy of our manifesto will unveil what we have planned for the state. It is a revolution; it is a design to build Anambra as AfricaÕs own Dubai-Taiwan. That is the big dream. I have in mind what we are going to do from the first day, not just the first 100 days; the legislations and the kind of programmes that must be put in place; the declaration of state of emergency on Onitsha and the other four major urban centers of Awka, Nnewi, Nkpor and Ekwulobia urban. I donÕt want to pre-empt our plans at this stage but one big idea is that we will start to lay the foundation to create 300,000 jobs over a period of time at the minimum. The people would start to come to Anambra for job, and not Anambra people moving in droves in search of non-existing jobs elsewhere. The world must begin to return to Anambra that has the strategic geographical advantage to be AfricaÕs Dubai-Taiwan. When you move down to those places, our administration would lay the foundation for a good beginning for the state.

Insecurity [/b] fuelled by with kidnapping and violent crime is a menace in the state. What do you think has led to the critical stage?

It is the common talk that security has become an intractable problem in the state. It is now so bad that people now perform the usual traditional marriage rites outside the state and in places like Lagos, Abuja. You can imagine for an Igbo man to perform the mandatory traditional carrying of wine in cities outside their country homes and kindred. It is because people are no longer safe to go home for fear of being kidnapped or robbed, or even being killed by hoodlums. You cannot have development, and investments in a place where people cannot sleep with their two eyes closed. It is part of our agenda, but there is no strategy to tackle it that will work in the long run if there is no effort to create jobs. My primary aim is to create hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Since 1998, each successive governor has failed or refused to hold council electionÉ

That is one of the things we will do within the first year in office. I have told the people to prepare for council election as soon as we settle down in office. The state will no longer appropriate the funds of the councils. We must create developments to the grassroots.[/[

http://nigeriaworld.com/cgi-bin/axs/ax.pl?http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/16/4.html
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by chidichris(m): 9:43am On Nov 17, 2009
soludo obasanjo, knowing the situation of insecurity in the state, u have sworn to add salt to injury.
remember, your second name(obasanjo) means insecurity.
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by Afam(m): 10:09am On Nov 17, 2009
chidichris:

soludo obasanjo, knowing the situation of insecurity in the state, u have sworn to add salt to injury.
remember, your second name(obasanjo) means insecurity.

I for talk whether this guy go complete hin post without adding OBJ's name. Did you read the article at all?
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by citizenY(m): 10:34am On Nov 17, 2009
@ Afam

There are two of them
1) Chidichris- and OBJ
2) Wily Wily and Yoruba / Hausa

It is a fixation, you can't cure it. Na their mantra and they are not even Hindus. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by chidichris(m): 3:13pm On Nov 17, 2009
@ Afam

There are two of them
1) Chidichris- and OBJ
2) Wily Wily and Yoruba / Hausa

It is a fixation, you can't cure it. Na their mantra and they are not even Hindus.

@citizenY,
judging from ur location which is apapa lagos, i would have loved to avoid joing issues with a love-vendor or a homosexual but in case u are lucky to be a wharf rat, then enjoy ur break time.

I for talk whether this guy go complete hin post without adding OBJ's name. Did you read the article at all?

@afam,
there is nothing to read about here. to me, there is no soludo without obj and there is no obj without thug life.
since u read the passage which is useless to me, will soludo reject his surname (obasanjo) and refuse himself pdp ticket.
that ur idiot soludo obasanjo cannot pass an ordinary pdp primary election in his own local govt area hence his father introduced the selection partern.
on the issue of insecurity, i would love to refer you to the days of chris uba obasanjo in anambra when hell was let loosed or would u like a trip to oyo where the old idiot that is far gone now hjad the federal govt backing in destroying lives and properties of the people of his state. i mean adedibu obasanjo. if you know any criminal between 1999 till date, just add the surname to him because he made them all.
look at this;
ribadu obasanjo
iyabo obasanjo
tony annenih obasanjo
bode george obasanjo
chris/andy uba obasanjo
mrs etteh obasanjo
adedibu obasanjo
fany kayode obasanjo
moji obasanjo(sex partner)
all federal criminals had that surname and the latest name in that order is soludo obasanjo.
with bode goerge now behind bars, u shld have known that i far away ahead of u as a result of ur shortsight.
what i see today, u will see in the next two yrs.
do not worry urself on how i do this because have ur own annointing which could be in the area of ignorance.
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by Afam(m): 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
chidichris:

@afam,
there is nothing to read about here. to me, there is no soludo without obj and there is no obj without thug life.
since u read the passage which is useless to me, will soludo reject his surname (obasanjo) and refuse himself pdp ticket.
that your idiot soludo obasanjo cannot pass an ordinary pdp primary election in his own local govt area hence his father introduced the selection partern.
on the issue of insecurity, i would love to refer you to the days of chris uba obasanjo in anambra when hell was let loosed or would u like a trip to oyo where the old idiot that is far gone now hjad the federal govt backing in destroying lives and properties of the people of his state. i mean adedibu obasanjo. if you know any criminal between 1999 till date, just add the surname to him because he made them all.
look at this;
ribadu obasanjo
iyabo obasanjo
tony annenih obasanjo
bode george obasanjo
chris/andy uba obasanjo
mrs etteh obasanjo
adedibu obasanjo
fany kayode obasanjo
moji obasanjo(sex partner)
all federal criminals had that surname and the latest name in that order is soludo obasanjo.
with bode goerge now behind bars, u shld have known that i far away ahead of u as a result of your shortsight.
what i see today, u will see in the next two yrs.
do not worry urself on how i do this because have your own annointing which could be in the area of ignorance.

And to think that we have seen it all as regards comedians in this country? Boy, just start one comedy show e go pay you pass the okpanta wey you dey waste your time write for NL.
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by jona2: 3:57pm On Nov 17, 2009
*jona:

Insecurity has driven Anambra people away, [b]says Soludo
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in the 2010 polls in Anambra and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo said that the level of insecurity in the state was alarming. It has driven people to hold their traditional weddings in Abuja and Lagos, he says. He talked with CHUKS COLLINS in Awka. Excerpts.

HOW far have you gone with reconciling aggrieved members of your party the PDP in view of the tension your nomination raised?

It wonÕt be an exaggeration to say that Anambra is at least 80 per cent PDP. It is not the same with other parties. I put it at a conservative 80 per cent because every other party in the state is a breakaway faction of the PDP. And being a large family, you are bound to have people of different shades of views. Our first task actually is to strive to keep the house together, mobilise the house into the formidable party that it is. I think we have largely succeeded. [b]A large section of the party is intact and is getting ready to take back power in the state because what we have today is an aberration; a little bit of an accident, so to speak. The PDP members have resolved to take back power [/b in the state.

In what sense are you talking of aberration in the state?

There are two parties in power in the state today. The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) has the executive arm, while the PDP has 100 per cent of the legislative arm. It is such that even the single APGA member in the House of Assembly, out of 30, has decamped to the PDP that he says that what happened in 2003 was an accident. We also know from the results of that election that APGA did not have the spread. There was a kind of protest vote that year and people fragmented into so many parties. The APGA then had a simple majority but did not have the 50 per cent in two third of the council areas of the state. However, we know the crises that happened that time and how eventually the APGA candidate was declared the winner. But still the rank and file of Anambra, the vast majority of the people are still with PDP and in spite of these other fragments of political parties in the state, its still safe to say that at least 80 per cent are still PDP.

Many years after its creation, Anambra is behind her peers in terms if development. What do you think is the problem?

Well, that is precisely way I am running. I would not be running if the state were realising more than 10 per cent of its potentials. I would not be running if Anambra as richly endowed in human and material resources is actually standing up to be counted among the states of Nigeria. Anambra has become the butt of every joke. There is no physical war going on, but the people are moving out in droves as if a refuge, as it was out of the state. Joblessness is the second name, insecurity is the other and the state should actually be number one in terms of economic development; every indicator shows that.

Onitsha is not only decaying, it is dead. People are daily moving out to places like Asaba

There is no symptom or sign to show that the state is moving forward. If anything, every indicator shows that the state is in a reverse gear; moving backwards. And that is why some of us have volunteered in spite of grave personal inconvenience to say, Ôif not us, who; if not now, when?Õ I give credit to those who have been governors of the state, including the incumbent I can say that given their capacity and other issues, they have done a good job, especially where you have had a history of people getting 10 per cent, 15 per cent or 30 per cent. If you get a 40 per cent, it would be regarded as a good job. But for me, this election is about a 40 per cent to 50 per cent performance when someone has a capacity to deliver 99 per cent. Anambra is a first class state; it needs a first class material. It is not a third class state and that is why I am in the race. I believe that Anambra has got the men and women with first rate materials to lift the state to realise 99.9 per cent of its potentials instead of the 40 per cent that is beginning to look like a great achievement.

What would be the priorities?

The draft copy of our manifesto will unveil what we have planned for the state. It is a revolution; it is a design to build Anambra as AfricaÕs own Dubai-Taiwan. That is the big dream. I have in mind what we are going to do from the first day, not just the first 100 days; the legislations and the kind of programmes that must be put in place; the declaration of state of emergency on Onitsha and the other four major urban centers of Awka, Nnewi, Nkpor and Ekwulobia urban. I donÕt want to pre-empt our plans at this stage but one big idea is that we will start to lay the foundation to create 300,000 jobs over a period of time at the minimum. The people would start to come to Anambra for job, and not Anambra people moving in droves in search of non-existing jobs elsewhere. The world must begin to return to Anambra that has the strategic geographical advantage to be AfricaÕs Dubai-Taiwan. When you move down to those places, our administration would lay the foundation for a good beginning for the state.

Insecurity [/b] fuelled by with kidnapping and violent crime is a menace in the state. What do you think has led to the critical stage?

It is the common talk that security has become an intractable problem in the state. It is now so bad that people now perform the usual traditional marriage rites outside the state and in places like Lagos, Abuja. You can imagine for an Igbo man to perform the mandatory traditional carrying of wine in cities outside their country homes and kindred. It is because people are no longer safe to go home for fear of being kidnapped or robbed, or even being killed by hoodlums. You cannot have development, and investments in a place where people cannot sleep with their two eyes closed. It is part of our agenda, but there is no strategy to tackle it that will work in the long run if there is no effort to create jobs. My primary aim is to create hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Since 1998, each successive governor has failed or refused to hold council electionÉ

That is one of the things we will do within the first year in office. I have told the people to prepare for council election as soon as we settle down in office. The state will no longer appropriate the funds of the councils. We must create developments to the grassroots.[/[

http://nigeriaworld.com/cgi-bin/axs/ax.pl?http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/16/4.html
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by bilymuse: 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2009
jona, do you have problem with Igbo people?
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by Ezeagu2: 7:22pm On Nov 17, 2009
grin
Re: Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo by udezue(m): 7:27pm On Nov 17, 2009
Ezeágu:

grin

ROTFLMAO

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: ''war'' In Central Nigeria / Oba Of Benin Places Curses On Kidnappers And Armed Robbers / Jos Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.